“An average French place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Rouge

Cafe Rouge
Fredrick St, Edinburgh, Scotland (New Town)
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,018 of 1,982 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
“An average French place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Visited Cafe Rouge at the start of the Christmas shopping season with a voucher offer. Food was good but not exactly amazing nor did I feel it was particularly French. I had pate, beef bourgion and a mini creme brulee and coffee, all were decent, my dining partner had half a roast chicken and chips and ice cream with fruits (neither particularly French in my opinion). I do accept that, as Cafe Rouge is a chain restaurant it needs to have a broad appeal but I didn't feel that the menu was particularly French enough other than having French names for the food, I was disappointed not be able to have snails in garlic butter. The decor also leaves alot to be desired, the Edinburgh branch is in need of an upgrade - I didnt really understand the reason for the yellow and red colour scheme and the idea of having old French posters on the walls seems a bit outdated and cliched in comparrison to other French eateries in the city. The service was average, because of where we were seated, it was a struggle to get the waiters attention. The waiter did make a mistake with our desserts, bringing out a praline mousse instead of the ice cream but it was quickly corrected. What I will say is that the restaurant seems to be very family/child friendly, so reccommend it if you have kids and needing somewhere half decent to eat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Gallic flair and a lively atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had already had morning coffee here and were wondering what it was like in the evening so we made a reservation for a Saturday. If you are going at the weekend you would be well advised to do this. When we arrived the restaurant was packed and buzzing. The staff were attentive and happy to explain some of the dishes or to suggest a slightly better version. We have no complaints about the service or quality of the food and recommend Café Rouge. On busy evenings you may appear to wait a bit for service but given the number of diners this is surely understandable.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Yorkshire
“Good food, good atmosphere with very attentive, pleasant staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I went there with a voucher we found on a 'free' city map giving us a bottle of wine if we spent £20 on food (valid to 31/12/2012 but not during December 2012???). on arrival (and being 'told off' for not booking (a Friday night)) we were found a table and have to say everything was excellent. All the staff were very good, there was a good atmosphere there and the food was well cooked and well presented in a very reasonable time after ordering. Will go again (especially if we find another voucher with a similar offer).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derby
“Food is fine and consistent for this restaurant, a 2 is for service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Like all cafe rouge, ones expectation is what one would expect from this chain of restaurant. Would love to see more French Classics though. I gave it a 2 because I ordered garlic bread for myself and my partner as a starter, this did not come. When we got our main course, I told mentioned this to the waiting staff, NO APOLOGY. I asked it to be removed from my bill.
It is the fact of no apology made me mark them down.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had breakfast here. It was very nice. Staff were attentive and friendly. We were staying at the Frederick House Hotel across the road so this was part of our deal.

Visited October 2012