“Not good sushi, terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not good sushi, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was there 2 times with my girlfriend, as it is close to the place where I live, and each time we paid over 70 pounds. OK the sushi is not the best I had, I think they use too much mayonaise everywhere. However, the most dissapointing thing is that I went there in order to use my snapfax, I mentioned it while ordering, but when I tried to pay the bill, the waitress changed her mind and said only I could use the snapfax and not for the whole table bill. I asked for the owner/manager but no one was there. If they don't want to give offers to customers why do they put their restaurant in snapfax? They should remove their offer from next year's snapfax or accept the rules and conditions. I will never go back again, there is no point of going since food is poor(ish), terrible service, fully unorganised and they even don't accept credit cards, they made me go to Haymarket station to withdraw money from my card. Ridiculous!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Livingston, United Kingdom
“Hay Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was recommended to visit the Sushi by my work mates, I was confused when arrived as there are two. I chose Hay Sushi, and I was not disappointed, food and service was excellent.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California, Falkirk, Scotland
“We keep coming back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We love Hay Sushi - have been coming here on a regular basis for the past year, and have no intentions of stopping!

The main reason for coming here is the food, which is lovely, and plenty of it. The house sake is more than drinkable (hic!), and there's a good range of beers. The only very slight niggle is that the coffee is instant, but the waiter will tell you that, in case you were expecting ground.

Hay Sushi is a great place to catch up with friends over lush Japanese food in a convivial atmosphere.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Best Sushi Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was taken to Hay Sushi by a friend as it was supposed to be one of the best Japanese in Edinburgh. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and freshness of the sashimi and the variety of hot and cold food they have is very impressive. I come from London and have tried many different Japanese but none can compare to what Hay Sushi have to offer in terms of taste and imagination - their ocean roll and dragon roll was just exquisite not to mention their seafood special ramen which was to die for!

The decor was very stylish and provide a nice and comfortable setting. The staff was well mannered and helpful without being annoying. I really enjoyed my experience at Hay Sushi and am very disappointed that they do not have a franchise over in London but I will definitely come back to Hay Sushi if I was to ever visit Edinburgh again!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not at all like Japanese sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having travelled a lot in Japan I have high expectations of sushi. Sadly this dissapointed. Why all the mayonaisse on everything? The tempura looked like it had been in a Scottish chip shop fry - not at all light and crispy as it should be. And the service was far from friendly. Neither was it cheap!

I say, give it a miss. The sushi in Harvey Nic's is far superior.

• Visited October 2012