“Good and fresh food, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good and fresh food, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Came here with a couple of friends for lunch and the food was very nice and fresh. We had steamed eel rice, dragon roll, sashimi and soft shell crab tempura. Plenty of meat in the crab, rice was perfectly done and the sashimi was just so fresh and lovely tasting. Desserts didn't disappoint either. Mochi is my favourite but I have never tried chocolate Mochi until today, and it is definitely something I will be attempting to make at home! The red bean ice cream wasn't overly sweet and the tempura ice cream was lovely too, although the inner batter was a little thick and I don't think they needed to drizzle the strawberry sauce on top but each to their own.
We had green tea, which was standard green tea in a bag in a cup, which was a tad disappointing as I thought they would give us a pot of proper green tea made using the traditional powder.
Service was not great either. We were given the menu and were left to look at it, for 15-20minutes. Weren't even asked if we wanted a drink before that and we noticed they were just standing there talking so we had to ask them to come over to take our order. When we finished our food(we completely cleared the plates) and drinks they didn't ask if we wanted more to drink and the waiter walked past our table 4-5times before noticing we were finished. He took 2of our side plates away and asked if we wanted the bill, and I told him no, we would like dessert please. He said ok and walked away, leaving the rest of the empties. It was another 5-10minutes before we got the attention of another waiter to clear the rest and order some desserts or us. It was not very busy so it wasn't like they were rushed off their feet.
Toilets is just a single toilet, which was also where they stored their high chairs! I am pretty sure that it is quite unhygienic to have high chairs right next to a toilet, I really hope they disinfect them before giving to a toddler to sit on and eat off of. The sink also had a very high build up of mildew around the taps which means they haven't cleaned it properly in a long time.
So although food was nice, I am not sure if I would return. I may try the other Japanese restaurants in the area before thinking of Hay Sushi again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect on a dreich July night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We ordered a delivery: Udon noodle soup with chicken, beef teppan and prawn tempura (Lobsters, more like!). It got here quicker than expected, still hot, beautifully presented and super tasty. Definitely worth every penny. I've put 'excellent' for atmosphere, since we ate in the front room...

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice atmoshpere, good-sized portions & decent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was my first time eating at a Sushi restaurant and only my second time trying Sushi so I was a bit unsure about what to order and how big portions were. However, somehow myself and my equally indecisive boyfriend managed to settle on ordering a Maki platter and a side of dumplings to share, as we weren't overly hungry. The Maki platter (for one) came with Miso Soup (we didn't think when ordering so had to ask for another soup) and a platter with Salmon, Rice rolls and some other stuff which I can't remember. Although I didn't like all of it, it was presented nicely and was an experience. I even used chopsticks. The dumplings were pretty good.
You also get wasabi peas when you first sit down.
We just had water with our meal and the total bill came to approx £18 which we thought was reasonable.

Visited July 2012
Maryland
“A Great Place for Sushi in Edinburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had dinner at Hay Sushi during our visit to Edinburgh. The food was excellent, and it was a nice little place to have dinner. I would go there again.

Visited May 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Food was ok, price was decent. A bit small inside but staff was friendly. Toilet was a bit cramped.

• Visited April 2012