“Amazing wee find!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #118 of 1,899 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Amazing wee find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing wee restaurant and so different to other places in Edinburgh, the service was amazing, the waitresses very friendly, we had the fresh spring rolls that had a delicious peanut sauce, the spring rolls well completely different to anything else I have had and they were lovely, we had the pho for our main and was very delicious, was our first time trying Vietnamese food and we'll definitely be back to try some more from the menu :) I must also add our meal came to just over 16 pounds and that was for a two lunches plus drink and we thought that was fantastic!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Yummy fresh food at good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We like vietnamese food so decided to give this place a try whilst on holiday in Edinburgh, based on the good reviews on here. Whilst it wasn't my fave meal of the trip (That was Shilla, a Korean restaurant), the food here was still very good, tasty and fresh. The restaurant feels like being in someones living room, it's small and has art on the walls which is for sale. As we heard it was small we booked a table and were glad we did. It's a little hard to find if you're a visitor to the city, so look it up first if you are! The menu is small-ish but there are pictures of the dishes, which is good if you're not familiar with the cuisine. Service was friendly but a little slow as the one waitress looks after the whole place. It's nice though that the place is obviously family run, with the waitress and chef running the whole operation!

For starters we had the fried spring rolls as I was a bit dubious of the cold ones, and the hot fried ones were delicious, and very meaty compared to the usual spring rolls I've had. They came with a garlic oil dip which went very well. For mains my partner had beef in soup with rice, and I had the noodles. Although the noodles were good, I'd had similar before and wished I'd been a little more adventurous and tried the caramel braised pork! Next time, maybe. The review which said you can't buy any drinks is incorrect- no alcohol, but you can buy cans of soft drinks- coke, rubicon etc. They also do aloe vera juice which my partner had as he used to drink it growing up in Taiwan- it had bits of jelly floating in it and I thought it was gross! But you could try it for a more authentic eastern experience. I heard that the vietnamese coffee they serve is very good- they put a layer of condensed milk in a mug and set up a coffee filter above it. I didn't have it though because I don't like sweet coffee and it looked like they used a lot of the very sweet condensed milk!

Overall I would definatley like to visit here again as the food was fresh and delicious and there is other things I'd like to try, and the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

A very small and basic restaurant with authentic Vietnamese food. Don't come here if you are looking for flashy decor and furnishings but do come here if you want really good food at reasonable prices. I came here with friends two weeks ago and returned today and enjoyed every mouthful. BYOB as well with corkage at only £1.50 a person.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warwickshire, UK
“Good for cheap eats but don't expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This small restaurant has a slightly strange feel to it. It's very informal, you kind of feel like you're having a meal in someones living room. In some ways this is good, makes for a good informal meal to have with friends but if you are planning on a special dinner or like your restaurants to be a bit more formal or 'special' then go elsewhere. The menu is quite limited but this is not always a bad thing. We both had spring rolls to start (can't remember which we chose, there was a choice of two but note that whilst one is the more common fried spring roll, served hot, the other is cold). We then both chose a curry for main (sorry can't recall which but there are around five choices). The food is fresh and tastes good, not great but good enough and good for the price. This restaurant is also BYOB which makes it even cheaper. If you dont bring your own drinks though there isn't really any option to buy drinks (alcoholic or non alcoholic).
Overall this is a great restaurant to visit if you're with friends, students or basically on a budget and looking for a meal to have before moving on elsewhere for drinks etc or for a very cheap meal out but not if you want a great meal or more of a special meal experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“lovely restaurant, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This little gem has done so well that they have doubled in size by buying up the next door shop, so it is now easier to get a table. The food is still superb; I went with friends who had been to Vietnam and they said it was authentic and very good. We had vietnamese spring rolls, shrimp skewers, and Pho, the ubiquitous Vietnamese soup with noodles, which is really tasty and very filling. Very pleasant girl who does all the waitressing, and the food came on time. Price is excellent at lunchtime, and good in the evening. Well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013