“Small issues let the hotel down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

You added Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4HQ, Scotland (Formerly Macdonald Roxburghe Hotel) (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Twynholm, null, United Kingdom
“Small issues let the hotel down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Only stayed 1 night to check this hotel out as a future 'base' for my business trip to Edinburgh (2/3 nights a week for approx. 40 weeks a year). Let me start by saying "the hotel passed" and I will stay here when ever possible. The location is fantastic for both business and leisure, the staff were really welcoming and helpful, the food excellent (room service at that) and check in/out very smooth (note, I am a platinum IHG Rewards customer).

As I travel a lot, a couple of minor points. No nuts available as a snack, only chocolates? Seriously? The single lift is a nightmare. It is small and heavily used so if you have no choice but to use it, be aware you may wait an awfully long time. Finally, my room appeared to have been redecorated and very badly at that. Paint pealing off all wooden surfaces, a lot of quite shoddy workmanship etc. Sort these very minor issues out and I would rate the hotel as excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid upper levels if you can't handle the stairs!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Stuart A,

Thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh. I am glad to see that for the most part you enjoyed your stay. I would however be very interested to know what room you stayed in so that I can investigate you comments with my maintenance department and rectify as required any issues we may have as described. If you could contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com I would be very grateful. We pride ourselves on the standards of decoration and quality of room product here at the hotel so feedback such as yours is very helpful to ensure we maintain our high standards.

Kind regards

Marcello Ventisei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two weeks ago for 3 nights had a fabulous time in Edinburgh. The hotel was excellent had great facilities. Used the spa nice pool sauna and steam room lovely and relaxing after a long day of shopping. Breakfast each morning was good had a very good selection of items. Room was a very good size. Had a wonderful time and will definitely go back to this hotel

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Heather934,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again should you be returning to Edinburgh.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Attended a civil partnership and stayed the night in this hotel. I would say the perfect place for a civil partnership. The meal was lovely although a couple of people at our table did say that the lamb was look warm but it was just perfect for me. Staff very friendly and very attentive. Our room was spacious and very clean. View wasn't so great but room was very quiet which was just perfect. Breakfast was great, everything you would want and more. The only little downside for me, and although trivial I may say, I felt that there could have been more personal toiletries in the bathroom, after all it is a 5 star hotel and not cheap to stay an overnight. Apart from that, it was very good and I would recommend it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit so much and that the event you attended was as good as you have mentioned. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future next time you are visiting the city.

Warm wishes and kind regards,

Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Traditional hotel of superb quality. Excellent location for tourists, handy for buses, train station and walking the city. Traditional style fittings, modest bathroom, small sink with enormous taps, couldn't fill kettle!!!

Dear HolsGlossop,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe. I am very please to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much and found our location and services to be what you were looking for. I would be interested in knowing what room you stayed in so that I can check the issue with the Kettle. If you would be so kind as to let me know by emailing opsmgr@theroxburghe.com I would be very grateful. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again should you be visiting Edinburgh in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one IHG club reward night.
I had had a little trouble finding the hotel, but the concierge was more than helpful (much more helpful than my sat nav) at guiding me to the underground car park - a good start.

Check in was fast and efficient and the girl behind the desk made some good suggestions as to things to see and do during our stay, she was very helpful and very friendly.

The room was of a good size, was immaculately clean and in a quiet corner of the hotel - no complaints at all from that respect.

The shower in the morning wasn’t very powerful and could have done with an upgrade but this didn’t pose too much of a problem.

We asked about parking in the city center when checking out, but was told it was fine to leave the car in the car park for a few hours free of charge. Greatly appreciated considering the price of parking in Edinburgh!

All in all my stay was comfortable, and I would recommend the hotel.
Unfortunately I did not get chance to use the spa facilities, so wouldn’t be able to comment on them.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Adam_m_1989,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us so much. I am glad that the concierge team were helpful with directions to the car park. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon to the hotel.

General manager
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

stayed here for weekend to celebrate my birthday, treated superbly. a great welcome and felt like royalty. Fantastic location very convenient for the city centre attractions. public room were very elegant including our exclusive club room were we were able to get refreshment throughout the day. The only thing that I found disappointing was the bedroom was a little bit shabby and could of done with redecorated.

Room Tip: ensure you are a member of the loyalty scheme and you get lots of extras.
Dear S_Ceris,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe hotel and many happy return for your recent birthday. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your birthday weekend with us and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future for another enjoyable stay with us.

General manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel has a modern crisp feel to it. Staff were always friendly and helpful. Good food and drinks to be had at the adjoining bar too. Room was spacious and quiet. The location is good just off Princes street. I found it a good spot from which to walk around the inner city. Very good all round for me.

Dear John S,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much with us and that you found our location an ideal base for exploring the City. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the future should you visit Edinburgh again.

Marcello Ventisei

Been to Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe? Share your experiences!