“Nice stay - very central - friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

You added Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4HQ, Scotland (Formerly Macdonald Roxburghe Hotel) (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #47 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Nice stay - very central - friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Facing onto Charlotte Square, the hotel is extremely well situated and only a very short walk from Princes Street etc (Rose Street only 100yds away).

Massive, extremely comfortable bed - very clean (large) room with nice touches but looking just slightly tired at the end of another summer tourist and autumn Edinburgh Festival season. Nothing major to grumble about - loose door handle, lights not switched on at sockets etc just gave slight feeling they hadn't prepared the room 100%, but this is a really minor point.

Reception area flippin' freezin' because Edinburgh's infamous ice cold wind whips in the daft single electric door set up. A proper revolving door or twin electrics would make the foyer much more comfortable.

Breakfast was very good although I was disappointed that only the cold stuff was available from the buffet - hot breakfasts were table ordered. Being a bit of a gannet who looks forward to piling up a plate at breakfast on the rare opportunity I get to enjoy a cooked breakfast, I would have much preferred a full buffet.

Staff were friendly and attentive - Crowne Plaza visitors know the standards to expect.

The rooms looking on to George Street can be noisy if the windows are opened which, cold as it was outside, was essential because room was like a sauna when we arrived. Late night pubs and clubs mean a lot of shouting, singing, taxis etc well into the early hours and then refuse collections from the crack of dawn. Not at all the hotel's problem, but try to get a Castle facing room if possible.

Good stay - would definitely stay again when in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: ask for Castle / Princes Street facing room - far less noise and you may be lucky enough to get a vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear pilgrim1314,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay over all and will be returning to the hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh. I have every confidence that our team will be able to deliver another enjoyable stay on your return.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Lofthus, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Tags: centrally located, great hotel, friendly and service minded staff, clean, lovely breakfast, expensive but great value!
My room was very nice, a little cramped, but others were more spacious.
Swimming pool, fitness room, spa, restaurant, bar & grill.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room in first floor above the reseption and bar if you go early to bed. The musi...
Dear ErikaA_10,

Thank you for your recent review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and location so much during your visit. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at the Roxburgh for 3 nights in October, primarily to attend a conference at the nearby Edinburgh conference centre. My room on the 4th floor was spacious, well decorated and clean. I think it was a club room, and it had a view of the castle which was particularly good at night. I had access to the club lounge where they served breakfast and afternoon snacks, but I didn't take advantage of this, preferring to have breakfast with my colleagues in the main breakfast room. The food was good and the staff excellent.

My only small complaint was the noise from the back of the hotel, where the dustbin lorry and recycling lorry seemed to turn up at around 6am each morning making a bit of a racket!

Otherwise a great stay at a very welcoming hotel with a fantastic location for visiting the city centre. I would definitely stay again.

Dear googlicious,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay while in Edinburgh for business and the services that the hotel provides.

I do hope we will have to chance to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future, perhaps next time for a leisure stay.

Clacks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently hotel was lovely, room was clean & spacious, cooked breakfast was freshly made to order although we did wait a while to get our order taken even though there was a lot of staff, there was also a good selection of cold buffet - staff were all pleasant. We are back in Edinburgh in a few weeks and will chose to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dolly-C,

Thank your for your recent review of the Roxburghe. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and will be returning again to stay soon. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

Workington, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Me and my partner recently stayed at The Roxburghe Hotel in Edinburgh, it was a fantastic 3 night stay. The location of the hotel is about 10 minutes walk from Princes Street which was ideal, they had onsite secure parking which was a little expensive but worth it for peace of mind. We stayed in one of the standard rooms which was little on the small side but it wasn't a problem, the bathroom had all the mod cons such as power shower, spacious bath and good heating, the room also had air conditioning which we definitely needed although it is October.
The staff in the hotel were extremely helpful with showing us where to park and guiding us to our room whilst carrying our bags. I also had a deluxe manicure in the hotel spa which was absolutely fantastic, the spa staff were lovely and very chatty, they couldn't have done anything more for me. During our stay we also dined at the George Street Bar and Grill which is part of the hotel. We had a fantastic meal there, the staff were very attentive and friendly.
The only thing that I was disappointed about was the cooked breakfast, we ordered it in advance for our first morning there and it cost £12.50, we were told if we didn't order in advance it would be £17.50, in the morning we arrived in the breakfast room and were showed where to sit and were offered a hot drink and toast, someone then arrived to take our breakfast order. When it arrived half of the things I ordered on mine were missing so I sent it back, It arrived again and was tiny, definitely not worth £12.50 even though it was tasty there just wasn't enough for the price. The next morning we just ate at the Wetherspoons which is just around the corner and on the third morning we had the continental breakfast, there was lots of choice .
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Roxburghe and would definitely stay there again,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma F,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read such positive comments about your stay and your experience in our spa and bar & grill. I do apologise for your breakfast experience, we pride our selves in the quality offering of our breakfast and I assure you it is not our usual standard of guest experience. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future,

Broxburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of using the Roxburghe Hotel in Edinburgh for some training that I was delivering, from the Moment I arrived I could not have been made to feel more welcome, the reception staff, concierge and events/ conference staff were pleasant, attentive and could not do enough for me, I was made to feel welcome, valued and that nothing was too much of an effort.

This theme continued through the other staff that I came into contact with, they were committed to ensuring that my time in the hotel was enjoyable and as stress free as possible. The refreshments were always on time, lunch was fabulous (only fault I could mention was that there were no labels telling you what the buffet items were, which made for interesting dining choices at times).

I would highly recommend the Crowne Plaza Roxburghe if you need a centrally located, friendly and relaxed environment to host meetings or training events.

I feel that I need to mention the following staff in particular (Poppy, Danielle, Carol, Ryan, Nik and Jose') for making my time at the hotel enjoyable and dealing with the issues that I had in a swift and professional manner.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel, only used the business and leisure facilities.
Dear awk29,

Thank you for you review of the Roxburghe following your training sessions at the hotel. I gives me great pleasure to read such positive comments regarding our service levels and in particular the names of the staff members you have mentioned. They are all very grateful for you kind comments and all send their regards to you.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, perhaps next time for a leisure visit and an overnight stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

A lovely historical venue, with high quality rooms.
Range of options for breakfast which was a nice change.

Only down side was a spiral staircase up three floors as the lift wasn't working!

Great location in the centre and some great places to eat near by.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ceffity,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe hotel. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and the history of the building. I do apologise for the issue relating to the elevator while you were with us, I do hope it did not retract too much from your stay.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Marcello Ventisei

Been to Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe? Share your experiences!