Facing onto Charlotte Square, the hotel is extremely well situated and only a very short walk from Princes Street etc (Rose Street only 100yds away).
Massive, extremely comfortable bed - very clean (large) room with nice touches but looking just slightly tired at the end of another summer tourist and autumn Edinburgh Festival season. Nothing major to grumble about - loose door handle, lights not switched on at sockets etc just gave slight feeling they hadn't prepared the room 100%, but this is a really minor point.
Reception area flippin' freezin' because Edinburgh's infamous ice cold wind whips in the daft single electric door set up. A proper revolving door or twin electrics would make the foyer much more comfortable.
Breakfast was very good although I was disappointed that only the cold stuff was available from the buffet - hot breakfasts were table ordered. Being a bit of a gannet who looks forward to piling up a plate at breakfast on the rare opportunity I get to enjoy a cooked breakfast, I would have much preferred a full buffet.
Staff were friendly and attentive - Crowne Plaza visitors know the standards to expect.
The rooms looking on to George Street can be noisy if the windows are opened which, cold as it was outside, was essential because room was like a sauna when we arrived. Late night pubs and clubs mean a lot of shouting, singing, taxis etc well into the early hours and then refuse collections from the crack of dawn. Not at all the hotel's problem, but try to get a Castle facing room if possible.
Good stay - would definitely stay again when in Edinburgh.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Travel in style and stay in the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe in the heart of Edinburgh city center. The hotel rewards its guests with an unrivaled location on historic Charlotte Square. This premier 4 star hotel has recently refurbished its meeting space, public areas and all 198 bedrooms, many with views of Edinburgh Castle. Ideally located between George Street, the stylish home of the cities top bars, restaurants and boutique shops and Rose Street with more traditional pubs and eateries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda, BookIt.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Roxburghe
- Macdonald Roxburghe Edinburgh
- Roxburghe Hotel Edinburgh
- Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe Scotland