“A nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

You added Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4HQ, Scotland (Formerly Macdonald Roxburghe Hotel) (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #47 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Sydney, Australia
“A nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Four of us stayed for a night on two separate occasions. The staff were exceptionally helpful with storing baggage and general 'hospitality'. Rooms were pleasant clean and well appointed and the breakfasts were good. Bar meals were also good. The location in the 'New Town' is very convenient and close to Queen, George and Princes St shops. There are lots of eateries nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am delighted that you and you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that our location was you were looking for. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again to the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe again in the future should you visit the city again.

Marcello Ventisei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
North West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have recently stayed at the hotel on business, I normally stay at another hotel so this was a change of scene.
Positive points, great location, lovely breakfast, nice communal areas, friendly atmosphere, hotel with character, nice central area giving a feel of outside but covered.

Negative points,
-the 1st room allocated had not been properly checked before release, it had a tv remote without a battery cover and large hair next to it and generally did not look right.
-the 2nd room was fine, the only problem being the TV signal was problematic, you would be watching the news before going to work and an interesting article would come on and it would scramble for a minute or two before coming back on,
-there was a gym, this is positive, however, the equipment is very old and in need of update, (the pool area was very nice though and staff helpful)
- I was offered a free paper when I booked in, I did question it would be free at the time and this was confirmed. On checking out this had been charged. After a short discussion this charge was removed but do not offer something free and then charge for it.

I would stay there again but only just,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear 633AM2012,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel. I am sorry to see that you had some issues during your stay but also happy to read that you had many positives to mention. I would be delighted to discuss with you in more detail the issues you experienced, should you wish to do so please contact me on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and I will contact you to discuss further,

Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Good location. Friendly staff. Concierge (Gavin) very helpful in getting my car parked (parking is confusing). Room was fine - -well-appointed, but not so easy to cool (but the staff did come in and fix that the next day).

Great bar, breakfast was good also.

Hotel prices in Edinburgh are too high, but the Crowne Plaza offers the best value for the price.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel has the smallest elevators (lifts) I have ever seen in a hotel of this size and quality.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ray W,

Thank you for your recent review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you would be happy to stay with us again. When you do return we will be very happy to welcome you back to the hotel as will Gavin who sends his kind regards for your generous comments regarding his service.

Sanquhar, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I booked this hotel for my wife's birthday as we were going to Edinburgh to dine in The Kitchen restaurant. I contacted the Head Concierge, Gavin, a couple of days prior to our arrival to book car parking. I mentioned it was my wife's birthday and before I knew it, I had ordered a bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates for the room. On arrival, Gavin had also arranged a room upgrade with access to the Club Lounge. Many Brownie Points to me! The hotel was lovely, very comfortable room and beautiful bars and restaurant. The staff were friendly and very efficient. Gavin was exceptionally helpful, arranging taxis and advising us where to go in the evening. He even got our names on the guest list at Tiger Lily's!!! Sadly the old dancing shoes couldn't last the pace! A fabulous weekend. Thanks Gavin!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen H,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe hotel following your trip to Edinburgh. Gavin sends his very kind regards for your very kind feedback and comments. We are very lucky here at the hotel to have such passionate and enthusiastic concierge and Gavin leads from the front in this aspect as Head Concierge. I do hope that we will be able to welcome yourself and your wife back to the Roxburghe again in the near future, and Gavin I know will be delighted to look after you once more.

General manager
Spring Hill FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was a breath of fresh air in our 3 week trip to Scotland where we stayed in 2 hotels, one Bed and Breakfast, one relative's sofa-bed, one country cottage and one student flat. The staff was very courteous and professional, the room was very clean and comfortable with good linens and the aromatherapy sampler was a very appreciated touch. The breakfast was pricey but a good value if you like a large breakfast, not so much if you just want fruit and yogurt. We had dinner in the newly refurbished restaurant also, no complaints. I had a massage that was reasonably priced and helped with the tension of hauling luggage and sleeping in too many planes and different beds. The only challenge was dropping off our luggage, if arriving by car but not parking at the hotel you may want to organize those details in advance as there is no place to stop out front to unload. Other than that I would highly recommend this fine hotel and it's staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RealtorCheryl,

Thank you for our review of the Roxburghe following your trip to Scotland, it certainly sounds as though you had a packed few weeks and I am glad that we were able to provide such a comfortable and enjoyable stay when you were with us. I am also delighted to read that you managed to use so many of our services from our New Bar and Grill to our Spa facilities, I hope the rest of your time in Scotland was as enjoyable and that we will be able o welcome you back to the City and hotel should you be returning to Scotland again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stunning hotel located in the new part of the city.
Beautiful room, we had a deluxe room, extremely comfortable beds and lovely little bathroom.
We had access to the Club Lounge which was especially nice.
BEAUTIFULLY furnished reception rooms and bars, EFFICIENT, FRIENDLY and PROFESSIONAL staff and tasty convenient breakfast.
Would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

I was a little hesitant to book this hotel as I had read mixed reviews about it here n Trip Advisor but I am overjoyed that I decided to go ahead and book. Email communication during booking wasn't very efficient.

Stayed September 2013
Dear A M,

Thank you for your review of the Roxburghe Hotel and for your very kind words with regards to our team here at the hotel. We are very lucky to have such a professional and dedicated team and when comments such as yours are fed back it genuinely motivates and pleases the team to read them. I am also happy to see that you managed to enjoy the facilities of our Club lounge, an addition this year that has enhanced our guest experience and enjoyment of the hotel.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future,

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My Mum and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. We had very nice room on the 4th floor, very clean. The lift was our only problem, it was very slow, and very small, and a few times we had to wait for a while to get back to our room.
The breakfast was lovely, with plenty off choice, staff were very helpfull and friendly.
Would go back to hotel again.

Room Tip: our room overlooked the atrium at the back off the hotel so it was away from street noise. Never hea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear KarenjSurrey,

Thank you for your recent review of the Roxburghe hotel following your stay with us. I am glad that you and your mother has such a pleasant stay with us and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe again in the near future.

Warm wishes and Kind regards

Marcello Ventisei

Been to Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe? Share your experiences!