“Hotels in Edinburgh” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe

You added Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4HQ, Scotland (Formerly Macdonald Roxburghe Hotel) (New Town)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bergen, Norway
“Hotels in Edinburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel was away form the the main tourist area - so was therefore quieter but still had a lot of pubs and restaurants in the area and the best area for shopping. Beautiful views of the castle from this side of town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RoxburgheGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Jo A,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Marcello Ventisei,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Once you have found the hotel - as there is only a tiny plaque on the wall its difficult to spot - we found it to be a great location for all the usual tourist haunts. Hotel itself is ok, nothing special but also nothing to complain about

Dear warobbo,

Thank you for your recent review of the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh and that you found your stay with us to be satisfactory, I do hope that we can have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel should you be visiting the city again in the future,

Marcello Ventisei
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

After booking this hotel my sister advised me that the hotel has a reputation of the fire alarm going off and that this happened when she stayed there and joked i should bring good pyjamas with me. She wasnt wrong, early in the morning we were on the street corner with many in pyjamas in the rain and cold.
The room was lovely and the pillow mist was a nice touch. Breakfast was great and so was the club lounge however it was dissapointing we were advised we no longer had acess to it as we were checking out despite a late flight home.
The hotel is in a great location, perfect for sightseeing and shopping.
The staff on the door and reception were friendly. And our luggage was sent to our room when it was ready.

• Stayed May 2013
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear victoriaconnolly83,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, we genuinely appreciate all guest feedback both positive and constructive. We understand that fore evacuations can be an inconvenience however we do treat all activations as a fire until we have confirmation from he fire service that we are safe to re occupy the building. We appreciate the understanding of our guests in these circumstances and I can assure you that the activations are in the minority. Thanks you once again for your review and constructive feedback and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had great difficulty making a reservation in Edinburgh as it was the Bank holiday and Edinburgh Marathon weekend, and finally secured The Roxburgh, in a beautiful Georgian Square , two minutes from Princes Street. The team at Reception are efficient , friendly and helpful . The hotel is a mixture of traditional scottish and modern , with an atrium and large pool,well equipped gym,dance space and a spa. Our room was large and sumptuous overlooking George Street, with a super king bed with best quality linen, towels,robes and toiletries. The location is great for walking, with buses ready to hand. The age of the building means you have the creak of wooden floorboards and a bit of street noise, but this added to the charm. I would be very happy to return to this lovely old hotel.

Dear Picnicker,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit. It gives us all great pleasure to read such kind comments and genuinely makes all of the team here at the Hotel feel happy to know we can make such a difference to our guests visit to Edinburgh. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have to be fair and say the hotel had just reopened after a refit and rebranding however there were far too many "issues" which should not have arisen. TV and telephone not working, insufficient towels and staff poorly trained to resolve the problems. Initially I did feel sorry for the staff however I had paid the going rate and we were not receiving the proper service. Having to walk to reception "twice" just to ask for more towels is a wee bit much.
Hopefully the hotel management can improve their service quality but until I have this confirmed we will not be returning.

Dear kincorth,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Should you wish to discuss the issues further please do contact us directly here at the hotel on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and we will be more than happy to discuss your issues in detail. I would very much like to restore your faith in the hotel and can assure you that your experiences are not at the level of service we aspire to deliver to our guets here at the Hotel.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to the Hotel again on your next visit to Edinburgh.

West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked a two night stay at the Roxburghe six months ago with Macdonald hotels. We booked a dinner bed and breakfast package with pre-paid wine with dinner. Our stay at the Roxburghe was part of a12 day trip to Scotland which my wife had never visited before. I had specifically negotiated when I booked that we would have a room with a view of Edinburgh Castle.
Things got badly fouled up - we didn't get the Castle view room I'd booked and we didn't get a word of explanation as to why. We were given a suite on the Charlotte Square side of the hotel which was a beautiful room but which was plagued by traffic noise by day and night due to the absence of secondary double glazing. It definitely did not have the view of Edinburgh Castle which I had contracted and paid for six months in advance.
At check-in it emerged that our dinner bed and breakfast package was only showing on "the computer" as bed and breakfast. Fortunately I had a copy of the confirmation email from Macdonald Hotels with me, I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't.
So we didn't exactly get off to a flying start and my faith in Crowne Plaza hotels ability to provide a positive experience got off to a very shaky start.
The hotel restaurant was like the curate's egg - good in parts. On our first night the fish risotto was served in dishes so hot that the rice carried on cooking to the point of drying out. On our second night the braised beef cheek we both had was wonderfully tender but lacked taste. The strangest thing though was at breakfast on the second morning when my slice of black pudding was so hard you could have used it as a slate coaster. Yet this was the kitchen which also produced super porridge, lovely poached eggs and gorgeous smoked haddock. The inconsistency was infuriating and disappointing in equal measure.
At check out the settlement bill was incorrect and included a charge for a bottle of wine which was included in our prepaid package! It got sorted but that really isn't the point.
My wife had a facial in the hotel which was very good.
The best thing about the Roxburghe was the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Special mention must go to Tiago on reception who tried to unpick the booking details (but couldn't give us the Castle view room) and the extraordinary Paul on concierge services who provided valet parking, luggage moving, taxi booking and even traffic directions with grace, efficiency and style.
So the Roxburghe pleased and disappointed in equal measure and with a total bill for two nights of over £700 I would take some persuading to stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on Charlotte Square itself as they are very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MV26Edinburgh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Happywanderer93,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe, I am sorry to hear of you frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. Should you wish to discuss the issues further please do contact us directly here at the hotel on opsmgr@theroxburghe.com and we will be more than happy to discuss your issues in detail.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

A lovely, old fashioned hotel - now in the Crowne Plaza group - having been in the Macdonald chain till a few weeks ago. Consequently, findig it onthe internet - and using an old Macdonald's voucher in the place, proved a bit problematic. Once you arrive in Scotland's capital, it's also not that easy to find - unless you've looked it up in a map beforehand. It is very central but there is nothing on the building, except a tiny, brass plaque right at the front door, to indicate that it is the Crowne Plaza - or The Roxboroughe - as it has been for many years.
It's positioned about halfway between Waverley and Haymarket station so arriving by train, as we did, is a bit of a walk. Rooms were comfortable- decor looked new. Main areas were freshly painted- but maybe a bit dark! Afternoon tea was meant to be a highlight but a bit of a disappointment. It was nice enough - but not very exciting: egg, ham and tuna sandwiches; fresh scones, odd cake selection - I've never had a fruit loaf with cream before! A very small pot of clotted cream arrived for 4 scones so we asked for more. 15 minutes later a jug of fresh cream arrived - too late as the scones had been consumed! Staff were attentive but I did wonder about the language skills of some. The spa area was fine- but looked a bit faded in places. A nice place though. I shall go again.

Room Tip: Nice views of Charlotte Square from rooms facing west.
Dear NB2204,

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Edinburgh – The Roxburghe on Trip Advisor, we genuinely appreciate all guest feedback both positive and constructive. I have spoken with our kitchen team regarding your comments on afternoon tea and Chef has carried out a review of the ofering as a result of your constructive feedback. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our guests should you return to Edinburgh again in the future,

Marcello Ventisei,

Been to Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - The Roxburghe? Share your experiences!