We stayed in this hotel for 1 night on Saturday 21st Dec. Even though access to the room was meant to be after 1400hrs, we arrived early and it was no problem getting in.
We had parked in the NCP car park which is joined to the hotel and the King James shopping centre. There is access directly from the shopping centre into the hotel. Usually the parking costs £15 per 24 hours, but the hotel can discount your stay by validating your token and all you pay is £6 for 24 hours.
We found the reception very welcoming and helpful. The room was large and faced on to the rear of the hotel, which although it never gave much of a view, at least there was no noise from Leith Street.
The room was clean and very well appointed with coffee/tea making facilities, TV, iron, trouser press and a hairdryer in the bathroom.
Drink isn't the cheapest with a pint of beer and a vodka/diet coke costing £9.30 in the bar. We found that to be in the region of 2-3 pound dearer than in local pubs that we went to.
We had food in the bar which was very nice. What I would say is that there is a price difference between the daytime menu and the evening menu, with some items costing between 2 and 4 pound more on the evening menu. The staff in the bar were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was a buffet style with 'continental' options as well as the usual 'Scottish' option. There was plenty of it and what we had was of good quality. Again the staff couldn't do enough for you and were very attentive.
The location is fantastic being at the end of Princes Street and within easy walking distance of all the usual city centre attractions.
We would certainly go back especially with the good rates we managed to get.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King James is located just off Edinburgh’s world-famous Princes Street, and a short walk from the Royal Mile. Whether you’re here for work or pleasure, the Fringe or to see in the New Year, you’re guaranteed a warm Scottish welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, EasyToBook, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The King James, Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- King James By Thistle Edinburgh
- Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James Scotland