“Poor quality. poor value. very disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James

You added Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James to your Saves list
Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Leith Street, Edinburgh EH1 3SW, Scotland (Broughton & Calton)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #97 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Poor quality. poor value. very disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Was there for xmas night out. lift not working. dance floor couldn t hold a third of guests. barman had to point to bottles on bar as his English was poor. frozen food. Had to repeat myself several times to waiter as his English was also poor.would not go back! toilets not checked as had to ask for toilet roll.

• Stayed December 2012
pwood547, General Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent feedback. We are devastated that your experience at the the King James fell way below our usual high standard. I will forward your comments onto the relevant departments in hope that we can learn from such shortfalls. As stated in my previous comments, I can assure you that only our deserts are frozen which is quite the norm within many hotels at Christmas given the high volume of business the season drives. Again, my sincerest apologies and I do hope that one day, we can restore your faith in the Thistle King James.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Motherwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Firstly, I honestly can not agree with the neagtive reviews about this hotel. I booked this hotel through galahotels.com a few weeks ago - £126.50 for a superior double with breakfast included - fantastic value!

The hotel is excellent, from the staff at reception, porters, bar staff to the greeter at breakfast.All very pleasant and professional. The room was lovely, spotlessly clean, warm and very comfortable. Yes, if I was going to be as pedantic as some of the reviews on here, I could have spotted a few flaws, but, its a hotel with a high turnover, so to the pedants... get a life!

As for breakfast, we were seated within a few minutes and the selection of cereals, continental and cooked breakfast items was excellent - no waiting for food, it was fresh and hot and very tasty.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel ;)

Room Tip: Ask for an odd number room - views onto Leith Walk and Princes Street are lovely
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
pwood547, General Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Iain, thank you so much for your positive feedback, all the staff were delighted to read your comments. We understand that there are more modern places to stay in Edinburgh but we try to compensate by giving the best service we possibly can. I do hope that you come back and visit us soon. Best wishes for the festive period. Paul Wood
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed overnight at the King James on Friday 07th December with my wife as we were attending the Dirty Dancing show at the Edinburgh Playhouse.

We managed to get a parking space outside the front door (thumbs up) and were checked in by a a polite and enthusiastic receptionist within a couple of minutes.

We were in room 409 which overlooked Leith Street and while you heard the odd car horn or siren I can have no complaints about the noise. There were Christmas Party nights on in the function rooms too but they didn't affect us either - I've been in hotels previously where there were drunk people shouting and running up and down the corridors in the early hours of the morning.

Breakfast the next morning was really nice. Lots of choice - cereals, toast, fruit juices, full scottish breakfast, croissants, toast - and waiters / waitresses refilling your tea or coffee. Very happy with that.

Overall - a very nice stay. I've stayed here a few times now and have recommended to friends. I'll be back.

PS: Shop around for room prices - I used a well-known hotel rooms website as it was at least £40 cheaper than the hotel's own website. And location, location, location!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view ask for one at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin, thank you so much for your fantastic review, myself and the team were overwhelmed by your comments! - We know that we're not the newest or most 'up to date' hotel within Edinburgh, but we do strive for excellent value and guest satisfaction. We hope that you will come back soon and we look forward to welcoming you. Thank you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We went to this hotel as a group of 10 for a xmas party nigjt. Awfull springs to mind. Food was of poor quality. Frozen food bought in. . Not worth the money. None of the stFf can hardly speak english. Bar prices r threw the roof. Dj was total junk...save ur money guyz....book elsewere.

• Stayed December 2012
pwood547, General Manager at Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I am so very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your Christmas party night at the King James Hotel. We have to date served over 1000 Christmas party guests and this is the first negative feedback that we have received. We pride ourselves on giving the best service and quality and naturally, become concerned if it should fall below standard. I can assure only our deserts are frozen, but again, this is fairly standard practice when dealing with such high volume and in my 20 years experience within the hospitality industry, I have never know of anyone to produce their own (with the exception of some 5* properties perhaps) Our bar prices are very much in line with the rest of the Edinburgh hotels and indeed, some products are cheaper. Again, I thank you for taking the time to write your review and should you wish to contact me further, please do not hesitate to do so - 0131 556 0111 and ask for myself (Paul Wood)
Cumbria, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Good central location - average city hotel surviving of discounted deals
Greeted by miserable Mary who you were clearly not the focus of her day and as a customer you were a hinderance...... Real Moment of Truth when you arrive at any Hotel is the reception and attitude. Not told of breakfast times, location bars and restaurants nor was a card swipe taken as we found out later in the bar.....

Poor quality toilet roll which shows lack of client care!!

Buffet breakfast good on Saturday a shambles on Sunday and cold.....

Room Tip: upgrade to super king size, time breakfast to get hot food from the buffet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I am so very sorry that your stay clearly fell short of the usual high standards that we pride ourselves upon at the King James Hotel. We fully accept that we are not the newest property in Edinburgh and hence we try to give our upmost in customer service. I will certainly speak with the relevant departments to ensure that these shortfalls do not happen in the future. Again, I welcome your feedback and I do hope that we can win back your confidence on your next visit to the King James. Should you wish to contact me direct, please do so at the hotel - 0131 556 0111 and I would be delighted to further chat with you. Kind regards (Paul Wood)
Grangemouth, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

From arrival staff could not have been more accommodating . We got access to our room at 11 am, we didn't ask we were offered access ,
We paid £32.50 per room per night! Fantasy value for money £16 .25 per person right in the city centre! Other reviews mention noise, it's in the middle of a city!! We looked onto Leith walk, large window, so great view. Room really clean with comfy beds.
Went for a girlie Christmas shopping trip , really great for this purpose, we went across the road to the Omnii centre for breakfast , lots of choose for restaurants near by , and attached to the St James centre shopping mall .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hebburn, South Tyneside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel we were told our room was not ready and would have to come back in an hour and a half, the receptionist took our luggage while we went for a walk around. Once we came back to the hotel, we were told our room was still not ready, by this point we just wanted to get into the room and freshen up. After persisting the receptionist finally got in touch with someone who managed to get our room sorted.

Once we arrived into the room we found it was freezing, we spoke to a maid who told us our radiator would warm up (20mins later it was still stone cold). I went to reception where I was tgen told to wait another 10mins and it should start heating up... Again with no joy! I then rang reception and asked if someone could come and take a look at it for us. After 20mins a friendly maintenance worker came, fiddled on with the radiator but with no luck and said it was too cold to stay in that room and she was going to get us moved. After moving a few doors down we were happy and warm. It was quite a noisy room though what with traffic and people shouting on Leith Street.

The following morning going for breakfast, this again left us disappointed. There was no juice, a waitress brought us coffee but there was no sugars, sweetners etc.... Strange. When it came to getting some food there was nothing left even though we were in the restaurant over an hour before breakfast was to finish. We waited about 15mins along with quite a few other guests for the food to be replenished, guests were starting to get agitated.

All in all I found the hotel very unorganised, and a bit of a shambles.

Spend your money elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James? Share your experiences!