Edinburgh is one of our favorite locations for weekend breaks, and is full of really excellent 4 star hotels. Regrettably, the Edinburgh Thistle is not one of them. Our usual choices were fully booked for this particular trip: looked at various websites, and finally settled on the Thistle Hotel.
From the outside, this is not one of the most attractive buildings in Edinburgh. No matter, if the rooms are OK. Check in was OK, but no offer of wake up call or newspaper delivery [normal in a four star?].
Parking facilities limited - I had called ahead, and they told me to park in the Greenside Row car park. They failed to tell me that signs from the road indicate the car park called is called the OMNI. As such, we drove around a couple of times trying to find the correct car park - finally settled on OMNI, and upon entering, discovered it was Greenside Row. Edinburgh is difficult to drive in at the moment - they are installing a tram system: for non-locals such as ourselves, it would have been helpful to have been given this information in advance.
I don't believe I have ever stayed in such a small, cramped room before. If one opened the wardrobe door, the bathroom was inaccessible. The bathroom itself was cramped and uncomfortable: no room to put our toiletries on, low water pressure in the shower. Hairdryer in main room, but no mirror on wall, so difficult to style hair.
We had asked for a quiet room, and were given a room at the back of the hotel which, although had no view, was very quiet - a positive. However, even with heating turned up, the room was cold at nighttime.
We had breakfast included in the rate we paid: this had not been communicated to the [seemingly inexperienced] restaurant staff, who said we had to pay extra. In time, the issue was resolved. The continental breakfast was nothing special: minimal choice of cereals, cheese and cold meats. Didn't go near the cooked food - buffet rather than made to order.
In conclusion, a disappointing and negative experience all round. Had we paid half the rate we paid, that may have been OK. However, the only 4- star quality about this hotel is the price. Go elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King James is located just off Edinburgh’s world-famous Princes Street, and a short walk from the Royal Mile. Whether you’re here for work or pleasure, the Fringe or to see in the New Year, you’re guaranteed a warm Scottish welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The King James, Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- King James By Thistle Edinburgh
- Thistle Edinburgh City Centre, The King James Scotland