“Basic hotel for a Hilton....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor

You added Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor to your Saves list
Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grosvenor Street | Haymarket, Edinburgh EH12 5EF, Scotland (West End)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #118 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Perth, Australia
“Basic hotel for a Hilton....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Its not a good sign when your hotel doesnt presnt the guest services file in the hotel room. The Hilton Grosvenor doesnt offer any so why waste the paper? There is no room safe, minibar/fridge, and we had them searching for a couple of coathangers to hang up our dress clothes. They couldnt supply fash washers which was a pretty small request. No free WiFi in the hotel but they can sell you a BT card. Breakfast was good though - however its time to tell the breakfast chef to lighten up over what toast can actually go through the toaster. They supplied ciabatta bread and who wouldnt want that toasted so I was surprised when he lectured me on the subject and then thought I should try and pry it out. They offer Haggis and black sausage at breakfast and I really wonder if they are doing this as a dare as I am sure guests would prefer fluffy pancakes instead.

An ok hotel by Hilton standards and could take a lesson from some of their Asian siblings. Location in Haymarket and a short walk to New Town and the castle. Bed is hard and ours sloped - but that could be because the whole room sloped (very old terrace building). We travelled in summer and the blinds dont adequatly block out the light so bring eye patches.

Room Tip: Request a good distance from the lift as it talks. Notice the bottle of Grouse next to the porridge...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for your review.

Outside London, most branded properties do not offer safes or fridges unless you move into the 5 star category.

The Chef at breakfast should have explained to you that as a result of rolls getting jammed in the toaster previously, our fire alarms sounded and a full fire evacuation occurred. I am glad that otherwise you enjoyed the Hilton breakfast…the majority of our guests look forward to sampling the haggis and black pudding as they a Scottish local speciality.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Thai first
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

The hotel is using a very old building which has been renovated so it is normal that floors creak and windows don't open that easily. Overall it is a nice place, clean and spacious enough. I thought the breakfast buffet was very good and the staff was overly attentive. Location is a bit far off the tourist attractions (20 min walk at least) but near the EICC convention center (I was attending a conference there). It is expensive for what you get but that is the rule in the UK. If I were coming for pleasure, not work, I'd get a hotel closer to the attractions. I hate it when they try and get you to pay for internet, it was about 10 pounds for 24 hrs, simply a scam.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

I’m glad you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast and that the staff took good care of you

Being originally townhouses, the hotel does have bags of character. Our location is central with all tourist attractions within walking distance and Haymarket Rail station is just a five minute walk away.

Internet access is chargeable still in all Hilton & group competitor hotels. It provides a width of broadband this allows downloading that ‘free’ providers do not.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

This hotel deserves more positive reviews. I stay at many hotels and regularly return to this one so it must be doing something right! I always find it a joy to visit. The staff provide excellent service and often go beyond the call of duty. The hotel is set over a series of townhouses which gives it a real charm and means no two rooms are the same which is refreshing for a chain hotel. Breakfast is lovely and well managed with a good choice and when included in room rate
shouldn't be criticised. Based on the rate I pay but I think this hotel is great value and well worth a try.

• Stayed July 2011
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for your review.

Absolutely delighted to read your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Hilton should be ashamed of themselves! I stay with various Hilton hotels for business, and have never encountered a problem until I stayed in this hotel!

Upon checking in I was advised that I had been checked into a single room. I asked for a double, but they apparently didn't have one available, but was assured that I had a very spacious single room, which was based in their annex (across the street).

If that is what Hilton considers to be a spacious room, then I dread to think what the less spacious rooms are like - you could barely move for the lack of space. The room was extremely hot, and without any air-conditioning it was very oppressive. Luckily for me the window had been left open, as there was no way I could see of being able to reach the window due to the desk being the length of the room across the window.

At 7pm I attempted to order room service. It took me over an hour to get anyone to take my order as the supposed 24 hour room service never answered the phone. After numerous calls to reception to complain I was eventually put through to a duty manager who took my order at 8.15pm!

Apart from not being able to sleep well due to the heat the bed was quite comfortable.

The next morning after finishing my shower I reached for the "fresh" bath towel only to discover that it was covered in pubic hairs and had creatures crawling through it. Needless to say I didn't use the towel.

I complained to the duty manager (the same one who had taken my food order the previous night), and all that he did was to apologise and say he would speak with room service and housekeeping. To be fair the hotel stay was being covered by my company, so he was a bit at odds with what to offer me in the way of compensation, but I did expect more from Hilton. The manager did offer to put a note on my Hilton Honours card so that I get a free upgrade next time I stay with them, but I have to say I will never be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to your room allocation, your company booked a single room and were paying for a single. Room rates differ for singles and doubles, your other comments have been responded to direct, and the issue with the towels has been taken up with our laundry company.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We booked this hotel for one night while attending a concert. At £130 room only obviously we were expecting a really nice room and a good overall impression - how wrong we were! On way to our room the corridor had a damp, stale odour, although our room didn't appear to harbour the odour which we were thankful for. However our room was badly in need of decoration and was quite shabby - at £130 we expected much better quality and standard! When we went to bed for the evening we found the pillows also had the same damp, stale odour, leaving us with a very uncomfortable (and sleepless) night. We didn't find the staff very friendly either - one of our room cards locked us out & it seemed like a chore for them to issue another. For the price the hotel charges, we felt it was very poor quality & value for money. On a positive note, the hotel is in a good, central location, however we most definitely won't stay there again. Don't waste your money - if you're looking for luxury you won't find it here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. With regards to the ‘odour’, this is a most unusual occurrence; I personally visited the corridor in question to investigate into this matter, in response to an email you sent direct to the hotel. As stated, in our response to your email, had we been made aware of the issue at the time of your stay we would have offered a room move or brought you additional pillows, it is in no way unreasonable to contact us at any time of the day or night as the reception desk is manned 24/7 for this purpose.

Guests generally find our staff to be more than accommodating as past reviews on Trip advisor will attest, I will however, discuss your comments with the Front Office Manager to share with her team to ensure that our standards remain high.
Moret-sur-Loing, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

The Hilton Grosvenor is not exactly what you would expect from a Hilton having stayed at different properties before:

1. The rooms are a bit old, and stains on carpets. This is to consider it is a room upgrade.
2. The breakfast service on a Sunday was very bad. It took a long while before they got to our table for coffee/tea.
3. The rooms where we were at had bad wifi connection; and to think you have to pay for these lines!
4. The toilet drying rack was not working.
5. The room was either too hot or too cold, could not find the room temp setting change.
6. Bed was harder than most Hiltons I've stayed at. Pillows needed to be fluffed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry for the disappointing experience you encountered recently at my hotel; I must assure you that this is not our normal standard. With regards to the bed, I am sorry for the discomfort experienced; our beds are not too hard not too soft to accommodate a wide variety of sleepers, we do replace our beds on a rolling system and are currently replacing all bed with the Hilton Serenity bed. I have taken onboard your comments regarding your stay and will share these with my heads of departments to ensure they discuss with their teams the impact made on your stay. We are not complacent about our failures. I can assure you that more care will be taken in the future to ensure that our standards remain high.
Thank you.
Nottinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at The Grosvenor for a couple of nights at Easter and had 2 rooms for the 5 of us in the Townhouse across the road from the main building.
We had a light meal in the bar which was quiet but very nice if a little pricey (but later refunded - see below) but very convenient and service was good.
The rooms were clean and tidy however in the evening my 13 year old daughter was having a shower and the door came of it's hinges and shattered cutting her hand in 3 places. I would like to take this opportunity to thank ex-paramedic Lucas for his sterling response and treatment. We were told the Townhouse has been recently refurbished and they would "be having words with their contractors!". Everyone showed their concern and apologies were plentiful.
The hotel was busy and we were offered another room across the road but this would have meant having our teenage daughters separated from us so we opted to stay in the one room.
We were then moved across the road the next day (our luggage was taken for us while we were out) to a free upgrade of a Junior Suite (lovely!) plus a superior room to the one in the Townhouse plus some complimentary fruit, chocolates and a personal letter of apology from the management (thanks) and later our meal was refunded too.
The breakfast was excellent - up to the standard of other Hilton's we have stayed in the past. The Scottish chef (nice guy) did a mean fried egg to my personal preference and waffles and pancakes could be made to order at the table.
The location is a little way from Princes Street but we walked it every time and it was quite a pleasant route past a decent Co-op for supplies on the way back. However, it is very close to the Haymarket train station so extremely handy for us.
Apart from the incident with the shower we had a great stay and would probably come back in the future but would choose the main building to save having to cross the road for breakfast in the morning. This would have been a completely different review were it not for the response from the staff, the upgrade and the letter of apology.
It's a bit pricey at normal prices but we had it on a deal so were happy with what it cost us.
This was our first visit to Edinburgh and I would definitely recommend it, not as noisy as London. The Royal Yacht Brittania was well worth a visit too.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review.

Firstly, I do hope that your daughters hand has healed; I am pleased at how well the staff handled this most unusual incident and how they looked after your family in a professional manner that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

I was delighted to read your kind comments with regards to our staff, I am extremely delighted to report that Lukasz was voted our Employee of the Month.

Been to Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor? Share your experiences!