“Christmas dinner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edinburgh Capital Hotel

Save Saved
You added Edinburgh Capital Hotel to your Saves list
Edinburgh Capital Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   187 Clermiston Rd | Corstorphine, Edinburgh EH12 6UG, Scotland   |
Ranked #83 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Christmas dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We paid 49 pound for a 5 course dinner everything okay except for the main meal. It was a Calvary so we went to the line and waited to get our meat 2 thin slices of roast beef and had to ask for a slice of turkey . Well the gravy was the only thing hot. The vegetables were very hard also . Did not complain on the day as it was extremely busy with people and kids running around. Waiting to here back from the duty manager. There was 20 people in our party and everyone was disappointed .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Angela M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

Naturally I was disappointed to read your feedback, this has not been indicative of the many other positive comments we have received from Christmas day.

Of course and without reservation I do wish to express my personal apologies for any disappointment. It would have been our most sincere wish to have had the opportunity to put right any dissatisfaction on the day.

The duty manager with whom you phoned and spoke with has attempted to call you back on several occasions and has left a message to say she will contact you in person on 2 January.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future, please do not hesitate to contact us direct as it would be our pleasure to look after your arrangements with our great rates and personal attention. +44 (0)131 535 9988

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights, what a lovely hotel. We were a bit unsure about staying here due to the location from the city center but a huge plus is that the bus stop is across from the hotel and takes you directly to the center of town in 20 minutes. The trip to the city is enjoyable as it's on a double decker bus and runs every 10 minutes at a cost of (1.50). Quite good considering parking downtown is a hefty (2.80 per hour). The hotel is better than we had expected; clean, modern, excellent staff that don't mind going the extra mile to help with little things, good bar downstairs, good gym and pool etc. Can't say enough about this place, excellent value and relaxing stay!!!

Only one negative, the walls were a bit thin so if you're a light sleeper bring ear plugs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Emily S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are most happy to read that you had a great stay with us. It does sound like you thoroughly enjoyed all of the services and facilities we offer at our hotel. Our location does make us a great option for leisure and business travellers with frequent and excellent transport links to and from the city. The team will be best pleased to have been given your recognition, thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future, please do not hesitate to contact us direct as it would be our sincere pleasure to look after your arrangements with our great rates and personal attention. +44 (0)131 535 9988

Best regards,

Bradford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Very pleasant for me and the wife during a recent visit to Edinburgh. The hotel room was comfortable, spacious and very clean. Free parking and free Wifi were certainly very convenient. Would definitely stay here if visiting Edinburgh again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Junaid A,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We were very happy to read that you enjoyed the comfort and standard of your room as well as the ample free carparking and WiFi. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I'm a best western platinum member and have stayed in numerous best western hotels and on the whole had a pleasant stay. With the exception for one member of staff. The hotel is few miles from city centre and it cost us £12 to get from city to this hotel. However there is a bus service into town cost around £1.40.

We were greated by a lovely receptionist who checked us in. I booked two rooms .. There were 3 of us . They lady advised us that there was an offer on 2 courses for £9.95 and 3 courses for £12.95 from 5-7 pm . As a platinum member you get 10% discount of dining and my card was given on checking so anything that I purchased would have discount applied to it for when I checked in ..

The public areas were tastefully decorated and nice seating area
The rooms we were allocated were 206 and 208, Both were kingsize rooms and tastefully decorated and spotless .. Everything was in working order .. Complimentary wifi -

My husband and I and mother in law went to the bar area and was served by a pleasant gentleman .. We ordered 2 pots of tea and 3 fruit scones with jam and cream. The tea and scones were brought out to us and the scones were delicious . When It came out we had 2 scones each on the plate and it was reasonably priced at £2.

We opted for evening meal at the hotel and my husband and I had 3 courses and my mother in law had 2 courses. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable the staff were helpful and friendly. Compliments to chef for beautiful food .

The breakfast the next morning was really nice and buffet style. The gentleman took our room numbers and asked us to take a seat to prepare our table .

There was a choice of cereals. Fruits juices. Tea. Coffees Toast jams . . Ham. Bacon. Sausages eggs. Haggis. Black pudding
To list a few
The only negative thing I can say about this hotel was the lady I dealt with upon checking out. She was quite rude and her name was Louise . She had my bill wrong and when I queried my 10% discount she advised me that I should have shown my platinum card everytime I went to bar or ordered anything .. . When I said I never had to do this in any other best western hotel and the lady the previous day didnt mention it. She was reluctant to give me the discount. After her be rude and finally giving me the 10% discount she forgot to give me my receipt. I had to ask her for this .. There was no pleasantries and no enjoy your trip or anything I can help with..

This lady either needs to be working behind the scenes or have some customer service training ..

We decided we had a hour to spare so had soft drinks in bar. Again this service was brilliant ..

We decided to go back to to reception to order a taxi and there was another woman on reception. This lady couldn't have been more helpful and ordered us a taxi

Didnt try leisure facilities so unable to comment
On the whole pleasant stay . And would go back here.

• Stayed December 2012
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear timike 30,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I believe that I have already responded to your feedback earlier yesterday morning via our own customer internet survey and subsequent emails with your husband. I am delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. Your other comments have already been taken onboard.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for an affordable, clean, decent place to stay when visiting this unique city, this is a good choice. While location is not your best one, you will have public transportation which actually allows you to better know this beautiful city while traveling with locals. The hotel is clean, decent sized rooms and a good restaurant with excellent British breakfast for the same price. If you are not very lucky, front desk staff will be very nice to you at a minimal, but at different hours, they will go the extra mile to make it better for you, either with anything you might need up to arranging for you a good tour. I wouldn't hesitate staying there with my family.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Eddy S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making all guests feel welcome and cared for is a fundamental, something we work very hard at.

We were also very happy to read that you enjoyed the comfort and standard of your room and the facilities on offer at our hotel.

Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice hotel, clean reception and lovely happy girls on reception a credit to your hotel,
Hotel room nice clean warm
Pool very nice could do with a bit better sign posting.
Bar, hmm to many chairs at the bar, having to stand behind drunk rocking dudes while getting served being splattered in beer not good there was lots of spare chairs about. just move a couple of stools and leave a good gap in the centre problem solved.then we can see what we want to drink properly to .
BREAKFAST at 10 pounds each on a offer way to expensive the G/F had no beans as there was none on the Buffet. I would of asked though the Larger guy supervising seemed to be watching everything people took., the waiters also seemed to be on the watch to grab ya plate as soon as you put your fork down thus is having to get another plate. not that we was getting lots just not everything was in the buffet 1st time so when the fried egg came by we want some.
Check out easy. enjoyed our stay on a sad day

Room Tip: 3rd floor quite with good views (in the distance)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear fussydanny,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It does sound like you thoroughly enjoyed all of the services and facilities we offer at our hotel. I do acknowledge and take on board your other comments and feedback.

Durham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed one night, and was very impressed. Had Dinner and the food was great, breakfast was also very good, so I would recommend the restaurant. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Nice and neat. Louise at reception was also very helpful. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in 114 and it was very good. Not sure if the view from the other side could be better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear RARust,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making all guests feel welcomed and cared for is a fundamental, something we work very hard at. I have no doubt that Louise will be best pleased to have been given your personal recognition. Our chefs will also be very happy to read that you enjoyed their cooking at dinner and breakfast.

I was most pleased to read that you would definitely return to stay with us again, thank you.

Chris Lynch

Been to Edinburgh Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!