“Hogmanay celebrations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #116 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Hogmanay celebrations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have just returned from celebrating Hogmanay at The Mercure Edinburgh with my husband. We stayed for three nights and stayed on the top floor in a superior room with balcony and excellent views of Edinburgh and the Castle. We had a fantastic time. Yes the price was a lot more than what we would usually pay but it was New Year and the views from our room were fantastic. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and a good size with a coffee machine and kettle if you preferred tea. On New Years eve we went out for the street party but returned to our balcony just before midnight to see the spectacular fireworks. The breakfasts were enjoyable with lots of choice and again great views . This is our third time in Edinburgh. We have stayed just outside the city centre and on The Royal Mile. This hotel was most definitely the best choice for New Year. Would I stay here again? Yes I certainly would.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your break with us to celebrate new year.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

795 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just like to add a few observations about the celebrations in The Mercure Edinburgh Hogmanay 2014 party. The restaurant was not really very busy. We did try at the last minute to add 2 more with no luck. 9 of us did enjoy the do and the food was great. Just the right choices and the portions were spot on. Hot or cold. Well served at first. Only after the bells no table service. I was asked if I wanted champagne for the table at 10.30. It never turned up. No staff to be seen again. Great location for the bells. Top views. Do not know why we could not go to the roof for the fire works as before. I think the spoilers were that the hotel seemed to be over run by event workers. I would add they need to renew the cutlery as the knives were only just capable of spreading butter but not much use for anything else. If you are a tourist I would say go. As for being local I would have to think hard about a return. Edinburgh at Hogmanay is now overly commercial.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
James F, Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I have taken note of your comments and will investigate these with the team. If you would like to discuss your comments further please contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

After reading the reviews for xmas day I had to leave my review. I was booked in with my family.we had a lovley day thanks to all the staff.as for stale rolls I ate my partners no problem. My main meal was plentyfull and very tasty no problem with yorkshire pudding, I did not have desert but the family all ate theirs.I think it was great value for money and will book for next year

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your Christmas lunch with us and look forward to welcoming you next year.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Hotel is situated right in the centre of the city good for all your needs.
Good large clean room, shower room, TV, wifi, tea/coffee, good bed.
Food was good staff friendly and very helpful................................................................................

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel location is as good as it can get. Bang opposite are the main attractions and a lovely view of the Edinburgh Castle.

Right below were most of the fampus shopping brands.

Room size and facilties were ok.It had all that you need for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Kind regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

First things first - did not stay at the hotel, but had booked Xmas dinner in the restaurant.

Very disappointed!

To kick off... bread roll was stale (!!) and inedible.

Oh well, we can overlook this, but, you know, the little things count.

Hoped for better with the starter, which was melon. This was adequate, but wafer thin slices of melon told me the chefs had not broken their hearts on portion sizes.

Main course of beef was over cooked and tough. Yorkshire pudding was rock hard and inedible. Sprouts cooked to the point of mush - yuk!

Roast potatoes were good. That was the saving grace!

However, dessert of baked Alaska was a disgrace - the meringue had not been baked at all - it was just a sugary sludge poured over the ice cream - and the effort to make it looked cooked (by dusting it with cocoa powder!) fooled nobody! It got sent back and the Christmas pudding was bland and tasteless.

We didn't finish the meal, left quickly and, as matters stand, will never go back.

Shame really, as the staff were friendly and efficient & the location superb.

But... I've had better school dinners!

Unacceptably bad value for money guys and we'd have fared better (and probably enjoyed it more) at McDonalds.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Kind regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I were booked into the Mercure hotel for Christmas lunch.
It was very disappointing. While the room was nicely decorated and the staff friendly and we had a nice view of the castle that was where it ended.
The bread rolls were stale and the carpet by our table were needing hoovered.
The starter of melon was tiny and my baked Alaska was so undercooked it was grainy from sugar and unedible so I had to send it back and get something else.
The main course was a buffet style choice of roast turkey or beef. Main course was nicer but veg well overcooked and yorkshires rock solid.
All in all a disappointing Christmas lunch but one of the cheapest in the area at £35 per head.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to the Food and Beverage team to investigate your comments.

James Fraser

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!