“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel

You added Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH2 2DG, Scotland (Princes Street and Gardens)   |
Ranked #117 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed her one night. Great location right in the heart of the city. Very comfy bed. Strange having reception on the upper floor. Didn't eat there but restaurant looked lovely. Quiet nights sleep.

Only downside was the parking. Non at all at the hotel and the one they recommend isnt that convenient.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013

James Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
rio de janeiro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Mercure Edinburgh Princes Street Hotel has an excellent location on Princes Street near the train station and 15 minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle.
My wife and I had problems that started at check-in, where the person who served us made no effort to give a credit for breakfast or a tea since we had paid the daily in advance and our son can’t travel with us to Edinburgh.
At breakfast the waiter brought us tea in a teapot that was dirty and he said that can’t do anything or at least suggested substitute another pot of tea.
In the morning of the last day we scheduled an early breakfast in our room because we had to leave the hotel at 6 and if I had not called the reception at 5:50 I would not receive the single coffee pot, even paid for three breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in a small single room--room 774. All of the others in my group that had single rooms ended up on the same floor and sharing my GIGANTIC balcony. We literally shared the huge balcony as all of our doors opened on to it--no dividers! It must've been 200 feet long! The rooms were nothing special, small and plain, but the view was amazing! We looked right at the castle which was lit at night while...and drinks on the big balcony was pretty fun too (there were at least 6 of us sharing it!) The location was at the end of some road so we had quite a hike up to the castle and to the fun parts of town--but that would not stop me from staying here again! P.S. They do not have a spa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the balcony perfect for your visit.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I travel to Edinburgh a lot for business and all my first choice hotels were fully booked so I stayed at the Mercure. It's a perfectly acceptable hotel, especially for friends going away or a stag do or something, but if you are spending around £100 a night I'd probably look elsewhere as you can get more for your money. The rooms are old, grubby and tatty with no AC, but the bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. Location is good, everywhere is close by and its near all the shops.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

hanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us and have noted your comments on the decor and facilities. We are addressing these is the near future.
See you on your next trip hopefully!

Skutskar, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed with group of 8 men on party trip.
Rooms spacious and clean. Beds very comfortable. Bathroom as expected.
Had the cheap rooms with the not so nice wiew.
Same problem as many state, with room beeing to hot for some mysterious reason.
We also had trouble with the keycard failing and beeing reprogrammed with the wrong code two times!
Location is perfect.
Breakfast is very good but could bee even better with some more coldcuts and cheese, and better coffee.
Overall we are very satisfied with the stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased you found the hotel ideal for you trip to Edinburgh and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel has a very good location, in the centre of Edinburgh, close to the shops for those who enjoy shopping, close to the train station and has superb views of the Castle and Scott Monument which is located right on its door step.

Having stayed at the Mercure hotels in other locations across the country we decided to pick this Mercure in Edinburgh. On this visit, my parents were also with me and my partner as a gift for their wedding anniversary. We paid the extra to have a castle view room and where both given rooms on the 6th floor (662 & 668). Both rooms were very clean and tidy but very warm considering the outside temperature was 13 degrees and the radiators were off. Even having all possible windows open the temperature remained the same. Both rooms could do with modernisation and redecoration to bring them upto the standard of other Mercure hotels visited.
Breakfast was more positive with a wide selection of cereals, fresh fruit, and cooked options.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again if I was to visit Edinburgh in the future.

Room Tip: Well worth paying the extra to have a castle view room!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will share with the team your comments about breakfast. I am sorry to read you found the rooms warm and hope you were made aware that fans are in the room.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Yes, the location is very much in the heart of Edinburgh right across the main train station and views to Edinburgh Castle and Scott Monument. I am a ACCOR gold card holder so remain loyal to the brand of which Mercure is part off. However, that doesn't mean that your hotel experience is automatically going to be a good one, usually is. On the contrary in this case, unfortunately. In a nutshell, probably the worst hotel experience ever - and this here in my near-hometown.

My wife and myself live just outside of Edinburgh and had arranged for a night with family, so decided to treat ourselves to a hotel overnight in a location we would normally not even consider so close to home. Check-in from 2PM, and when we arrived there was a little queue. Personal checking in took about 15 minutes - on top of the queue wait – no joke. Printer not working, the receptionist kept forgetting the date for some reason. We were allocated a low floor room and upgrades were not available (as it was full) but we were moved to higher floor - which was less noisy. There are rooms with a castle view at higher cost. If not, then you are on the other side facing air-conditioning units, fire escapes, etc.

Upon checking in we did not get any default hotel information (which I'm used to) about breakfast or anything, except for the WiFi key. We were in room 673 on the 6th floor and although we were not planning to spend much time in the room, it’s nice to be comfortable nevertheless. The room was like an oven (it was only 15 degrees outside, double that in the room). Opening the window didn't help much, and was extremely noisy. There is a fan in the room, but no air-conditioning. The smell of damp was very strong.

We went to the bar for a drink and afternoon tea was being served. We were going for dinner so just wanted to have pre-dinner drinks. Sat at the window facing the castle and were told to move because we were not eating. We were paying customers nevertheless. Didn’t want to make a scene as we were having a nice relaxing day, so we did move. Drinks are expensive, but the atmosphere is nice although the décor is dated and for sure could do with some maintenance.

For information there is a local supermarket just in Rose Street, very handy for bottled water, etc.

We did not dine in the hotel, so can’t judge that, and when we got back from our dinner at 1AM we got back into the room, which was still like an oven, heater was not on, window was open all night and fan blowing also all night. Maybe it was the towel rail in the bathroom. Don’t know.

Anyway, things should get better after a great night sleep, well the bed was a double, a tiny double, very uncomfortable, we both nearly rolled out and probably the worst sleep in a hotel that I’ve ever had (I business travel), with the heat, noise outside from the industrial equipment, etc. Not great. My wife didn’t enjoy her sleep either. Shower was fine with good pressure and temperature. Housekeeping already at the door at 8AM. So put the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door.

Breakfast was fantastic though (haggis is available), and VICKY offered great service and was the star of the show in our opinion – well done. I would not recommend this hotel, the staff were below par, with some exceptions and the temperature coupled with the poor beds made it a very negative hotel experience in general. I could not imagine what it would be like if it was 20 degrees outside or even the odd 30 degrees, which doesn't happen often in Edinburgh but can happen.

Room Tip: Waste of good money although views are stunning.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk.

James Fraser

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!