“Mixed bag but excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH2 2DG, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #115 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Mixed bag but excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel as part of a recent business trip. The location is impressive, particularly for access to shops and main tourist attractions. The room I had was compact but was clean. The check- in experience wasn't great and very little was said which felt strange. On the whole I would stay here again due to the location and price which was very reasonable.

• Stayed June 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with valued feedback.
We appreciate all guest reviews as it enables us to improve our product and service delivery.

I am pleased to read you will return and I look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards,
James Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

this hotel has 2 good features the view if u get a castle view and location thts it!!!
ok reception dont seem to be able to handle 2 guests at once checking in and they have a a speedy check in aye rite lol.
now the room you have to be 5ft to have a shower or the guests tht mainly stay here are the dwarfs tht do the christmas panto and then their is the pillows go as flat as a square sausage it ridiclous u dont get a sleep atall

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.

I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night break. The hotel is slightly above average, room sizes good and large bathroom. Everything seemed to work pretty well and you won't find a reasonable, more centrally located hotel.

I have to disagree with the previous review regarding the Wifi. If he had bothered to ask, he would have discovered that there is a new free wifi facility available to all guests in all areas of the hotel (including rooms) which can be obtained by just typing in the access code, thus removing the need to use the old 256 meg speed. We made use of this on both an iPad and a notebook and it worked very well at all times and was super quick.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased to read you found the free wifi easy to use and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great location, which was the main objective I was going for. On Prince's Street itself, I came in to Edinburgh via train, and will be leaving by airplane. 5 minute walk to Waverley Station, and less to the bus stop for the Airlink.

The room was quite satisfactory, though the real selling point was the view, which I feel was worth the premium. An unobstructed view of the castle, Scot's Monument, and the gardens. Fortunately the weather has been stunning - I was very lucky!

Room amenities could perhaps be a bit better. The showerhead is too low (I am 6' tall) and although the showerhead was in theory adjustable, it was broken and did not stay at the angle you wanted it. In effect this meant that I had to hold it while squatting to wash my hair.

The television is quite small, which I guess I was surprised by. They provide the basic free channels.

The free WIFI connection is very slow (quoted at 256k, but not), and they offer pay options for 'up to 2mb'. At 8 pounds per day this wasn't too bad I guess, but I have been amazed in general how few places in the UK offer decent, free, high speed wifi - particularly when you are already a paying customer. One frustration was that when I logged in the first time to download emails, I selected the free option. Later in the evening I wanted to pay to upgrade the speed. This was not immediately obvious how I could do this, and I call reception for assistance. The reception staffer was not particularly helpful on my first call saying that I could not upgrade. I called back a little later to ask specifically for IT to reset my connection to the WIFI so that I could then activate a paid service. A different reception staffer coldly informed me that this was not something they would do, and I would have to wait 24 hours until I could change my wifi connection. Not only is this quite a backwards process, there was definitely no communication from Mercure staff that 'the customer is always right'. Disappointing, but not the end of the world I guess.

I had room service one evening, and it was quite expensive for the quality of the food - though the lentil soup was quite tasty.

Overall at over 150 pounds a night my summary would be that the view and location are excellent, however the service and amenities are not what I would expect at this price point. If the latter are not a major concern then it is a fairly good option for a New Town stay.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for the castle view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Edinburgh. I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comment about the service and the wifi and I will be addressing these as a matter of urgency.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights on a first visit to Edinburgh. I feel this was a good value for money experience. The rooms were as we expected for the rating of the hotel. Service was very good, staff friendly and very accommodating, especially at the breakfast service. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

cape cod, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights and the view of the old town was beautiful. The room was small but comfortable. The only problem was that the room was quite warm at night and with the window open, it was so noisy with traffic noise and yelling that we could not sleep. There was a fan, but it would only push around the warm air. This is a place that would greatly benefit from air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh.
With the lovely weather we have been having, it has been warm in the hotel.
We do provide fans in all our rooms for guest comfort but we are looking at other alternatives.
We hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh in the future.

Workington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've just come home after a weekend at the Mecure Edinburgh city Princess St hotel. The hotel had no car parking but Waverley station car park is very close. Situated next to Jenners the hotel is well placed for local shops and restaurants as well as city centre attractions. The local buses stop outside so it is easy to get around. We stayed there as we were taking part in the Edinburgh marathon and it was only a short walk to the start and the same distance from the bus drop off point on the return. The hotel did cater for runners that morning serving porridge and bananas up to an hour before normal breakfast time. The rooms were quite small but comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. Free wi fi is available in the hotel including the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Some rooms were available with a balcony and castle view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh and found the hotel ideal for your needs.

James Fraser

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!