“Coffee morning with friends” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel

You added Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princes Street, Edinburgh EH2 2DG, Scotland (Princes Street and Gardens)   |
Ranked #117 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Coffee morning with friends”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I came for morning coffee with 3 friends a few weeks ago.It was the first time I had been in the hotel for years.
We went to the coffee area and collected 2 cafetieres of coffee which the person had already plunged. The coffee tasted like dishwater. We also bought a danish pastry each which was anything but fresh so told the person who just shrugged his shoulders and did nothing. It was not particularly cheap so we left feeling disappointed and will certainly not be back,

marjory Cook

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am sorry that you experience less than satisfactory service and I can assure you I have addressed this with the Restaurant.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future so we can provide you with the high service standards you should have received.

James Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jock in Brum
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Check in was delivered by a surly woman, who initially refused to acknowledge us and only responded to my third cheerfull "hello". With a glum and slightly distant air we had our keys and left.

The room (668) was of moderate size with decor that needed a lick of paint, scruffy and scraped walls and woodwork are not a good immage. The bathroom was tiny and there was a someone else's black hair in the sink. The best thing was the view, from the 6th floor it was quite breath taking. The free wifi was un available but we used the cable provied and got slow access.Hmmm....

The saving grace was the room service meal we both thoroughly enjoyed. It arrived promptly and each sandwich came with a good sized salad and tasty veg crisps. My mug of hot chocolate was yummy. We often use in-room dining on the first night of our trips and this was very good quality and value at less than £20 (including the tray charge).

That said, we moved on the next day to Glasgow and the magnificent One Devonshire Gardens at £60/night less than the £180 we paid here. So all in all, not real value for money and we are unlikely to stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am sorry you feel we did not meet your expectations. We do aim to meet all guests requests and I am sorry on this occasion we were unable to meet them.
We value your feedback and I am sorry to read you would not stay with us again.

General manager
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a great location to restaurants and shopping, but the best part is the castle view! It is fantastic and if you are lucky you will get a castle view from your room. I stayed in 772 which is a single room with a shared balcony overlooking Princess St and the castle. Rooms were updated and nice but rather small. Also, the rooms get quite warm at night but they do have fans. You can open the window but it's noisy beginning around 6am. Restaurant buffet is okay but not as good as others on this trip. Baguettes and cheese would be a nice addition. Also, you can't get a soft drink with breakfast and I didn't see a shop or machine. Overall, a nice stay and I would recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on May 7th for one night. And then again on the 11th - 13th, but I'll write a separate review for that.

We stayed in a standard double room, with Castle view room 469. The room was adequate for what we needed. Bed was comfy and the breakfast was good. All the staff we had to deal with were very friendly. We mainly chose this hotel as we were arriving from London by train and it was only a 2 minute walk. The only thing wrong I would say, was the toilet, even just to flush tissue paper, it needed to be done 3 times. I did get a survey by email about 2 days after our stay which I filled out and the next morning got a reply from management thanking me for my honest feedback. I was overall very happy with our stay for this one night. And was glad had already pre-booked for the stay in the following few days after our trip around Scotland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Princes St.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It´s a good location for shopping, sightseeing and nightlife.

The rooms were small, it´s ok, but it´s a challenge were to put the luggage.

A lot of noise from the street at night.

If you like to stay at a charming and cosy hotel, don´t choose this. This hotel is best if you want to stay close to everything, and stay as little at the hotel as possible.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper avoid rooms facing the Princess Street. If you like a good view, ask for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valued feedback.
We appreciate all guest reviews as it enables us to improve our product and service delivery.

I hope to welcome you back the Mercure Edinburgh again in the future.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed in for 4 nights on a pure pleasure trip. Room spacious and clean, (5. floor) and staff extremely nice and helpful. Perfect location, with walking distance to all main attractions, and a stunning view of the park and Old town.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, as we found everything to be as expected, or better!

Room Tip: The nice view has a slight downside to it, as the noise from Princes street can be a tiny bit distur...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased that the staff made your stay enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I was here for 2 nights on business. I've only given 3 stars because I was visiting on business and so was in the smallest room. I usually go for something more upgraded so although the room I had was nice and quiet it didn't have air conditioning, or a fan in the bathroom so it was very hot all the time and once I'd had a shower there was nowhere for the steam to go so the room was humid and damp for quite a long time. Also it looked out over the back of some buildings where there was loud humming. I would imagine the nicer rooms would have looked out over the castle.

The breakfast was good and the view over the castle was lovely even in the miserable weather!

I've stayed in the Mercure a few times for both business and pleasure and will stay that is a good mid range hotel but if you stay here and can stretch your budget always try to go for the highest grade room you can as that's where you see the best side of the hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh and hope to welcome you back in the future.

James Fraser

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!