“Great views & location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wisconsin
“Great views & location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Mercure Edinburugh was a fantastic location to explore the city, especially walking to the old city. Our room overlooked the park, flower gardens and the castle. It was so close to everything & offered such a panoramic view both day & night. Check-in a little frantic due to limited space, but some patience & all goes fine.
The room was comfortable & also spacious, with a couch & bay window. We brought in 'gourmet' lunches from the department store grocery nearby & enjoyed the views. Beds were comfortable & we had no problems with street noise at night other than a few late night revelers.
The only ding was breakfast was not ready on time, staff had to hurry to get things opened up 10-15 minutes late each day which made us our short on time to make our appointments.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your continued support and review! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. I am sorry that breakfast was not ready at times and I will address this with the restaurant team to ensure no future repitition. We do hope to see you again soon.

James Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is clearly an old hotel which has been overhauled largely successfully. The rooms are on the small side and reception is up some stairs and then on the first floor. That said all the standards were high and I can only add that the view was superb and the restaurant provided the additional delight of freshly cooked haddock and poached egg to the conventional Mercure menu for breakfast. A traditional tea with sandwiches, scones and cake was also sumptuous. The hotel is very well placed for public transport in all directions and the tram will stop there when it is estimated to arrive in 2014.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and that you found our staff friendly and the hotels location excellent. Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast and afternoon tea. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Pros:
Location dead centre of the New Town with views from the front of the hotel over the gardens, the memorial, the art gallery, and out toward the Old Town including the castle.
Reception staff are helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable.
Area surrounding the hotel is awash with shops and restaurants.
Train station is at most a 10 minute walk away.
Rooms are generous size for Edinburgh.

Cons:
Drinks at the bar are outrageously priced - £2.50 for an instant coffee labelled 'espresso'? £10 for a double nip of whiskey? Save your money and head out of the hotel to any of the hundreds of cafes, bars, and restaurants in the locality.
Staff at the bar are unprofessional. The times we dropped by in the evening they were constantly bickering over who would do which job, or generally complaining.
All rooms, including the restaurant and bar, are dated and in need of smartening up. The windows in the bar have peeling paint on the frames, the carpet is old and tired, the bathroom (ours at least) was tatty and showing signs of decay, and the decor generally feels at least 20 years old.
Sheets - why are they too short for the bed? Once they've been tumble-dried often enough that they've shrunk, it's time to replace them.
The hotel website states that parking is 'on street', but this is misleading. There is *no* parking 'on street' anywhere near the hotel. Further, we were not told at any point during booking or when speaking with reception prior to arrival that the hotel has a reciprocal agreement for parking at the train station the gets a discount of 15%. We parked in another building much further away and paid a lot more. We did not raise this as an issue as we are lucky enough to be able to get the money back another way, but reception staff should be trained to ask at each check-in if guests drove and where they are parking.

Whether the cost of staying at this hotel is worth it for the views and location alone depends very much on the traveller. Personally I would suggest that unless you get a very good deal or are unable to get anywhere else on Princes Street because you've left it too late to book, then try somewhere else. Edinburgh has a plethora of great hotels. This is an okay one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor directly above the bar/restaurant area get the free wifi from the bar area...
Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your recent review and that you found the hotels location excellent. We would sincerely like to apologise that the hotel did not match your expectations. I would like to assure you that we have looked into the staffing issue that you mentioned and taken action. I am sorry if the parking notes on the website are misleading and I will have this updated. Parking is available on Gerorge Steet which is the second street behind us. Due to the continious tram works there are many road closures changing frequently and we are unable to keep up to date with this. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel many times for business as the location and facilities were great. Well, they used to be when it was a Ramada.

I paid £130 for a one-night stay in June, which was expensive, however it was the week that the Olympic Torch was arriving so I supposed hotel prices went up that week.

Prior to travelling, I had e-mailed the hotel to ask if smoking rooms are available (as they always used to be as the Ramada) and received a reply from a chap called Charlie advising me that yes there are a few available, and to ask for it on my booking. My office later made the booking with Laterooms, which defaults your request to non-smoking anyway.

On check-in I asked for a smoking room and was given a look of horror, 'Oh no, we don't have smoking rooms'. I related the e-mail response that I had received but the reply was 'well that's wrong, this hotel hasn't had smoking rooms for a long time'. No apology. And to add to his point, he showed me the printed out Laterooms booking - 'you didn't even request a smoking room on your booking anyway'. I said 'well if I had, would you have given me a smoking room?'... 'Er, well no cos we don't have any'.

So off I go seething to my non-smoking room, and discover that the beds have shrunk in the change from Ramada to Mercure. The 'double' bed is not a 4'6", it is more like a 4' size, which to me is a large single. The mattress was of such poor quality that if you got within 6 inches of either edge you were in danger of ending up on the floor. Not a good night's sleep then.

I had dinner in the restaurant, which has absolutely beautiful views of the castle. That is the only good point I'm afraid. The decor and furniture is stuck in the 80s and looking tatty. The waiting staff were completely disorganised, no one knew who was covering which tables and everyone seemed to be wandering around aimlessly. I waited 35 minutes for a glass of wine. I ordered steak and chips, at a hefty cost of around £22 (and extra for any sauce!) and again waited a long time on this coming. The steak was greyish in colour, lacking in any flavour and certainly nowhere near the 8oz advertised on the menu. The chips were frozen (for £22 I'd expected handcut fresh chips) and weren't cooked through. Most were inedible. I'd have sent it back only I couldn't see a waiter anywhere. When they finally came to take my plate away I did tell them, and the waitress did apologise and promise to pass it on to the chef, but no attempt made at compensating me for such a lousy meal.

All in all I would never stay here, you would receive better accommodation and service in the Premier Inn, which regularly has offers for £29 a night. £130 a night here for what you get is just daylight robbery, not to mention the poor customer service and staff attitude.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am extremely sorry that you had been mislead regarding the smoking rooms. I have spoken to the sales team to ensure that this does not happen again and I am very sorry that the response at the hotel did not come with an apology. I can assure you that the beds have not changed since we became a Mercure we have many rooms of different sizes so this could be the explanation for the bed being a different size since your last stay. I am sorry that the service at dinner was disorganised and I will certainly address this with the team to ensure no future repitition, Again my sincere apologies.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great room. Good size. No wifi in room but freely available in lounge. Bed a little soft for my liking. Unbelievable view of castle and gardens. Great staff. We were able to check into our room at 9:30 in the morning!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the Princes Street side. Otherwise would be facing a brick wall.
Dear Guest,

Mant thanks for your recent review. We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. I am pleased that you enjoyed our unbelieveable view of the Castle and Gardens. I am sorry that your bed was a little soft for your liking. We do hope that you will visit our hotel again.

Paradise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel has a great view of the Edinburgh Castle and the gardens. We were booked for the tattoo and wanted to be close. the Castle was just a 10 minute walk up a long flight of steps from the hotel. You couldn't get any closer, We had a small balcony and spent time there enjoying the view . It was a small room but that's normal for European hotels. We were on the 6th. floor and did have trouble with the water pressure. The hotel dates from the 1800"s and I imagine some of the pipes aren't that good.

Room Tip: 6th and 7th floors have balconies. Ask for view of Castle.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our fabulous views. We hope that you enjoyed the Tattoo. I am sorry that you had problems with the water pressure in your room I will have maintenance look into this. We do hope that you will visit us again.

Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I arrived in Edinburgh last week with limited time to spend there. Was not impressed with spending 45 minutes driving in circles around the general area of hotel, trying to find it, but not managing due to all the road closures (not hotel's fault I know). When we finally gave up and parked nearby, we found out that the car park isn't at the hotel at all, but a 10 minute walk away! If we'd known that and had the postcode of the car park for our sat nav, would have saved us a lot of stress. The car park is too far away though, when you take into account carrying bags. Basically, if you're coming by car, don't stay here.
The hotel itself is very dark and dated. Room was small. Breakfast was just okay. Receptionist was friendly and helpful though, and very polite in dealing with two pretty frustrated customers. Location is good, which is about all I can say about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review. I am sorry that you had difficulty with all the road closures it can be very frustrating and I fully understand this. The hotel does not have a car park, As we are located direcly on Princes Street there is no access by car. I am sorry that you did not have this information prior to your arrival. We do hope that you would consider using us again.

James Fraser

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!