“Recommend the Upgrade” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Stbo
“Recommend the Upgrade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Beautiful room overlooking Princess Street, and would highly recommend the upgrade. Quirky Hotel with some lovely touches, excellent reception and check-in. On business and therefore only meal we had was breakfast. Slight confused message from buffet service to kitchen service. We had to laugh when we asked for toast and got hot bread!
Recommend for repeat visit

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive review regarding your stay with us at The Scotsman. I am glad you had an enjoyable experience and I hope that we will be able to welcome you once again.

Laura Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Kinghorn, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I enjoyed a spa day and lunch with my mother today at the Scotsman Hotel Edinburgh. Firstly, the location is excellent right next to the train station and the back entrance to the spa is even closer! When we arrived the staff seemed to be quite confused however once I explained they seemed to have found our booking. The reception area of the spa is lovely and welcoming and the changing facilities were very clean and were equipped with everything you would want. When arriving we were handed robes and slippers (nice touch) however I was a little disappointed as I was given a robe which was clearly too big for me and had belt holes missing. The spa area itself was excellent, lovely pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. In the spa an incident happened where my mother was alerted to call a member of staff, this staff member seemed very rude and not very helpful regarding the situation. When booking this voucher it was stated we would have a soft drink/smoothie in the spa area included in the price. However, no one approached us with this and it was later when returning home that we remembered about this or we would have approached a member of staff and requested them ourselves. Moving on to lunch, we had a 2 course lunch in the North Bridge Brasserie which was fabulous, we both really enjoyed the food and the attentive service. When it came to paying for the bill, the staff seemed confused and put our meals/drinks on the bill. However, I had already paid for the meal through the voucher. Again, they seemed to be confused through the use of the voucher. Overall, this is a wonderful spa and wonderful lunch but was ever so slightly let down by the confusion of the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman spa and North Bridge brasserie. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I am glad you enjoyed your spa day and lunch with us and I hope you left feeling rested and relaxed!

I am very disappointed to hear that the member of staff you approached In the spa was rude and not very helpful, please be assured our staff are trained to the highest levels and this is not the normal ‘scotsman welcome’

I hope that you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with my wife and daughter. We stayed in a suite which offered a king size bed and a bed settee for my daughter in addition to table chairs and a dressing table. The ensuite was a terrific size and the shower was always hot and good water pressure. Both my wife and I took advantage of the spa, my wife package included high tea for two but they managed to squeeze in a little girl at no extra cost. We were very pleased over all and would most definitely return

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
I am glad you were both able to take advantage of our spa, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful spa and gym including scotland’s first ever stainless steel swimming pool.

I am glad to hear you will return and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel markets itself as five star but it is far from this. Aside from a swimming pool and spa it is at best a three star and needs to take a long look at itself in its poor service and so so rooms.

We stayed here for one night with two other couples only returning yesterday after a great couple of days in the beautiful city of Edinburgh which was only slightly spoilt by the Scotsman Hotel.

On arrival at noon we were shown to our rooms passing some left out trays from room service outside other guests' rooms. These were still present many hours later making me wonder if anyone ever checks the corridors. Not a pleasant sight and small problem in the scheme of things but a sign of the things to come.

Out of our three double rooms, two rooms were only given one set of towels and one bathrobe. When I rang down for another set for our room I was told that a set would be sent up but after waiting half an hour I had to resort to using my wife's used, wet towel after a shower. When I mentioned this to the reception they said that they got the message and were going to send a set up later. How much later? Why could this not have been done when I contacted reception. I would have thought it would be obvious in the early evening that when someone rings for a towel set they are wanting it pretty soon! Once again this was irritating and a poor oversight and slightly unforgivable in view that two of the party's three double rooms were affected. Smacked of disinterest in the guest to me.

When we had booked the hotel we arranged for six massage sessions (one for each of us) and were told that we would get these at a 35% discount. After our massages in the spa we mentioned this discount and were told that it would be honoured. On check out this discount was missed off and it took for us to mention it once again. It was apparent that there is no communication between anyone in the hotel and no notes are made of conversations with guests potentially leading to misunderstandings and embarrassing situations. It is not nice to have to keep asking for a discount which we were told we were entitled to. At £80 full price, the massages would have been expensive! The massage quality appeared to be variable in quality from good to weak and poor so no quality control here.

The spa itself and the health club were extensive with a good choice of exercise machines and classes but this is where another issue arose. All six of us in the party wanted to do an advertised early morning yoga class at 7am (we are keen yogis) but were told that there was a chance that this might not be on and to phone up the next morning before 7am to check. A good quality hotel would have made it a point to check for us and made contact one way or the other to tell us the night before if this was going ahead rather than having us make the effort in the early morning to find out. We had been told that this was a busy class too and that there might not have been space. In reality the class did not materialise. Poor service yet again.

Breakfast was really very good and substantial and we could have a choice of buffet with full Scottish sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, cereal etc. we could also order off the menu and have eggs benedict, haggis, kippers etc. Very pleasant and tasty indeed. The big disappointment here though was the maitre d' who was extremely grizzly and unwelcoming. We arrived as a group in the morning and after waiting for a while to be shown to a table for six decided that as no one seemed to be in attendance we would push three free tables set for two together to make a larger group table. When the maitre d' finally arrived he looked haughty and unhappy and we mentioned to him that we had pushed the tables together and hoped that it was alright (as he looked miserable and irritated!). The reply of 'it will have to be now' followed by mutterings of 'it makes it very difficult in clearing the tables...'. Made us respond by saying we would push the tables back when we had finished which we duly did on completion. Why could the hotel not have a more pleasant front room member of staff with a 'can-do' attitude? We did notice that other guests were having to wait quite a while to be seated and the maitre d' never smiled once during breakfast and seemed aggressive towards his own staff shouting for the chef etc.

The rooms in the hotel seemed tired and could do with a makeover. Our room had no ventilation and we set our thermostat to the coolest setting as the weather was warm but this made no difference as the room was still stuffy and hot all night. When we tried to open the window in the night we realised that being an old building there were two sets and we were unable to open the outer window as it would have involved us literally climbing on the table and sitting on a wall to open the outer one! Poor ventilation meant a poor quality of sleep.

The bathroom seemed a bit more modern with nice White Company toiletries. The hot water took some time to come through but this is due to the age of the hotel and the plumbing I would wonder.

The hotel is very conveniently located in the central part of tourist Edinburgh and close to Waverley Station. I would possibly have given only a one star rating for the lack of service, inefficiency of the hotel and lack of attention to detail, but I give it a two star rating as the breakfast deserves an extra star.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I would like to apologise about the service that you received during your stay with us; we take a great pride in training our staff to the highest levels and it concerns me to hear that you were not treated to the 5 star services we normally offer.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience with us and would ask that to better serve in the future that you contact me directly where I can respond to the points you have made and apologise directly to you.

If this would be suitable you can contact me by calling the hotel directly where they will be happy to direct your call to me.

Once again thank you and I look forward to speaking to you.

Graested, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Simply perfect. When we arrived we were welcomed by Nick and guided to our room - ask for room 702 - with the best view in Edinburgh. The service was personal and excellent. Free internet, complementary water, friendly staff, clean room, excellent restaurant. Five well deserved stars!

Room Tip: Room 702 is the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services and administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness especially our concierge.

I hope we will be given the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Lovely old building and very pleasant staff, but didn't really have a five star feel. Spa is a little basic, rather a gloomy pool with a small Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Gym looked very good if you really want that on holiday. The restaurant (North Bridge Brasserie) was disappointing and expensive for dinner but served a great breakfast.

Room Tip: Quirky layout so difficult to specify a room unless you know the place well. Rear ovelooks the stati...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that this did not meet with your expectations and I hope that we will be given the chance to change your opinion in the future.

If you do decide to stay with us again please contact the hotel directly where they will be happy to take care of your booking and stay with us.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My brother and his wife recently stayed at the Scotsman for their anniversary.
I arranged for a bottle of Prosecco to be put in the room on their arrival. There was a slight mix up with this but was very quickly and efficiently rectified.
On knowing it was their anniversary, the member of staff I had contacted upgraded their room.
Although I have not stayed there yet, I am very impressed by the level of service and attentiveness shown by the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your family’s stay with us. I am sorry there seems to have been a small mix up with the prosseco but I am glad to hear this was quickly and efficiently rectified.
I am glad we could make their anniversary special and I hope that if you get the chance to stay with us you contact the hotel directly where we can take care of your booking for you directly.

Laura cooper

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!