“Memorable experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Scotsman Hotel to your Saves list
The Scotsman Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1YT, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #49 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Lyon, France
“Memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our first trip to Edinburgh was a memorable experience all around, but it was capped off with our stay at The Scotsman Hotel. It is a great and distinguished proper in the heart of Edinburgh (in the middle of the Royal Mile). However, the our experience at The Scotsman was made complete by the exceptional service and hospitality by the staff. Specifically, Nick the Bellman greeted us on the street and his service and hospitality were exceptional throughout our stay...from helping us with our bags, parking, restaurants, jogging route et al. I have traveled the globe for business for over 20 years and Nick rates as one of the top for genuine hospitality. Thanks to Nick and all the staff at the Scotsman for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about Nick in particular and I have already personally passed these onto him and our Rooms Operations Manager; Nick is an experienced and valuable member of our team and was delighted with your comments.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

1,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed for three nights in The Scotsman, the Hotel is great, well located in North Bridge, very near to all main attractions. I traveled for Business but had time to know the city as well. The Hotel room where I stayed was in the third floor, very comfortable, spacious and well decorated. As I arrived about 9.30am, I was received by the concierge that helped me with the luggage and gave me a map and directions to visit some attractions near the hotel until the check in time. All the personnel was very friendly and helpful. The Hotel's building is fantastic, very well maintained, with a great sight of Princes Street. I recommend this hotel if you have the opportunity to travel to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view to Princes Street, it is a great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us to friends and family is an added bonus; we look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman.
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I planned a trip here for my boyfriend's birthday and it was perfect. The concierge was so helpful and amazing, they upgraded the room and made it a real treat for both of us. They went out and got balloons to decorate the room at my request (although they did end up getting baby balloons with teddies on them for my bf's 26th! Minor screw up but was quite funny!). We stayed in the wood panelled room and the view and room was just great. It is such a beautiful hotel with authentic Scottish charm and so many beautiful features. This is the only hotel I have stayed in ever that I would 100% return. Absolutely recommend to everyone!

Room Tip: Wood panelled room facing the station was amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I would like to apologise for any confusion over the balloons and only glad that you saw this in a humorous light; I hope your boyfriend had a very happy and enjoyable birthday celebration.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.
durham, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Myself and my husband have just returned from a 2 night break in Edinburgh at the lovely Scotsman Hotel. Being Scottish and previously working and living in the city but now living in England, we wanted to return to the city as tourists and we had always felt the Scotsman hotel was a hotel that we wished to stay in. The hotel itself is beautiful and the history of the building adds to its wonderful charm. The staff could not be more attentive and friendly in reception, concierge and the brassiere. When we arrived in our room the mattress was very uncomfortable and the springs were very noisy so I went to reception and asked if we could have a mattress replacement or a room move. We were given 2 different rooms to chose from and while this was being sorted out we were given a free drink in the bar. We ended up in a lovely room, with beautiful views of the city overlooking the gardens and princess street. My only negative comment would be that it was very hot but after mentioning this at check out I was advised that the builidng was listed and therefore air con could not be installed - this is fair enough and something I accepted - and it is Scotland after all. Heat is not something that you get often! All in all it's a lovely and charming hotel, the staff are super friendly and attentive - I mentioned that it was our anniversary and a bottle of prosecco was organised - lovely touch. The only thing I would say is that compared with 5* in other countries, I would say this is more like 4*. We have stayed in 5* across the world in 4 continents and I would say that it wasn't a true 5 *. It was a wonderful stay and I would return tomorrow if I could! We didn't have time to use the spa but next time I will definitely do this!

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, don't be afraid to mention to the hotel staff. They are ver...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I was pleased to read that we were able to offer you alternative rooms and that you enjoyed the celebratory bottle of Prosecco with our compliments. I appreciate your feedback with regards to our star rating, however as you have not mentioned specifically why you believe the Scotsman is a 5 star hotel I am unable to comment with any clarity on this. I understand that all of our guest’s have their own individual expectations and I am delighted to read that we met with yours.
Certainly to hear that you will be back to stay with us in the future is an added bonus and we look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Having never been to Scotland before, my husband and I decided to book a variety of accommodation including a few high end hotels, a couple of cheaper, family type places, and a couple of B&Bs. The Scotsman was our first stop and made the rest of our trip hard to live up to! It is a typical old building, with lots of heritage, character, and idiosyncrasies, which means you have to love this kind of experience to love staying here. It is situated in the most convenient of locations, on the corner of the Royal Mile & Church Rd, directly across the back street from the train station. Ou concierge/bell-man was unbelievably helpful with directions, hints, etc. On our last morning he not old pointed us to the train staton but walked us over, waited with our luggage while we bought our tickets and then helped us load our luggage on the train!!!! If that is not going above and beyond, I don't know what is!!!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the back rooms, opening onto the alley above a pub....really noisy until very late, and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

It could not have been easy to convert the imposing headquarters of The Scotsman newspaper to a five star hotel, but it has been done well, including the impressive marble staircase at the centre of the building.

Our room was spacious, well furnished and comfortable, not least the bed. And the hotel has many plus points. It is full of character and very conveniently located. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are excellent. And if you feel the need to relax after taking in Edinburgh's many sights, museums, etc., this is just the place to do it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and I hope that should you return to stay in Edinburgh you will return to the Scotsman again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

This review is for the restaurant / brasserie at the hotel.

Been here for lunch twice now, and both times the food has been lovely.

The interior of building is just amazing, and something staff are rightly proud of. And the location not ten mins stroll from Waverley Station is great for travellers.

First time, I was one of a party of ten for a work lunch. No alcohol involved as we had to get back to the office, but I was slightly surprised that we weren't actually asked if we wanted drinks: we had to ask for water. Staff seemed a little stand-offish with us, but efficient and polite.

Second visit was a late lunch with a friend. I had phoned beforehand and there was no difficulty in accomodating us with the lunch menu at 3.30pm. The staff this time were lovely: all smiles and helpfulness.

Food is well presented (lemon wrapped in muslin with the beer battered fish was a particularly nice touch!) and portions are generous. Under no curcumstances order the caesar salad if you're looking for something small and healthy!!

Toilets are lovely, although stall size reflects the age of the building! Proper rolled hand-towels and lovely branded handwash. Full marks.

My friend and I both recommend their French Martinis. Very enjoyable!

We saw another family tucking into the high tea: I think next time I'll be trying that as the cakes looked delicious!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the North Bridge Brasserie.
The Brasserie was originally the trading room for the famous Scotsman newspaper; this was where the local businesses and people of Edinburgh came to place their adverts and purchase papers. With the stylish wrought iron balcony, majestic marble pillars and 20th century wood panelling, I agree that the restaurant does have “amazing” characteristics.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and I have already personally passed on your compliments to our Food and Beverage team as well as our Executive Head Chef. It is an added bonus to hear that you will not only be recommending us but also returning to enjoy one of our Afternoon Teas; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Claire Johnston

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!