“Some things never change...yay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

You added The Scotsman Hotel to your Saves list
The Scotsman Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1YT, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #77 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chicago, Illinois
“Some things never change...yay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

It was several years since I stayed at the Scotsman, and since my previous experience was superlative, I was wondering if things had changed since my last visit. I am very happy to say they haven't! Throughout our five-day stay, the standards of excellence in the rooms, food, gym and service are as consistent today as they were back then. I have done a lot of traveling and this consistent commitment to superior service is pretty rare and special these days Besides all that, The Scotsman is ideally located in City Center, so getting anywhere in the Old or New City is easy Also, I have to give a particular shout-out to Ivor, the gentleman in those AMAZING tartan trews who greets visitors as they first arrive. His friendliness, knowledge of places to go for a good meal, day trip or a really good pint is awesome! He is a great ambassador both for your hotel and the city of Edinburgh. Thank you again for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: All Rooms have a great view, and the rooms (suites?) on the main floor are particularly spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I am pleased you were able to experience Ivor’s extensive knowledge of Edinburgh and I will personally pass your kind words on to him.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that this was a return stay is an added bonus; I am pleased to read that you will be returning again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel in the future.

Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fantastic hotel in a perfect location just down from the Royal Mile and accross from Princes St.

We were upgraded upon arrival to an editor room - rooms are decorated perfectly for the style of the hotel. We particularly liked the Turret complete with roll-top bath. Staff could not be faulted, courteous, friendly and went the extra mile to make it a special weekend.

We didn't eat in the hotel but had breakfast delivered to our rooms both mornings (via the secret hatch) which couldn't be faulted. Which we ate at the Edinburgh Monopoly Board game table.

Wonderful stay at the Scotmans & hopefully one I can repeat sometime in future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

Once again thank you for your kind words and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back.

Kind regards

York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My darling wife organised this trip for my birthday and we had 2 wonderful nights in this iconic hotel. She cleverly negotiated an upgrade to a suite where apparently Noel Gallagher stayed.
And yes I got a morning glory too!
The room was very charismatic and with free Whisky every day and haggis for breakfast, how can you go wrong!
As my title suggests the weather was just unbelievable bad with wild horizontal snow and wind for most of our stay. However, this made the trip quite enchanting.
One night we ordered a taxi to take us to the Witchery restaurant, which is only a 5 minute ride, however the snow was so bad the taxi couldn't make it up the steep cobbled hill to the restaurant and we had to walk the last 100 yards in blizzard conditions.
We explored the Edinburgh sites and shops and loved every minute. Thankfully, the open top tour bus had an enclosed section!
Would recommend visiting Mary Kings Close and the Witchery is one of the best restaurants we have every had the pleasure to dine in.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade on arrival, especially if you have a special occasion.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we contributed to a special occasion is an added bonus.

I am pleased you had and ‘amazing’ trip and that our unpredictable Scottish weather didn't spoil this too much.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This Hotel is right at the start of Old Town. RIght down the block and up the hill is the Edinburgh Castle. The location is very convenient. The rooms are very comfortable. Interesting set up, you enter the hotel on the 4th floor at reception. The restaurant is very good. It was a nice place to go for drinks and plan your next steps.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the upper floors. They are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to record your positive comments regarding your stay at The Scotsman.

As you point out we are very privileged to occupy such a fantastic city centre location, being close to the historical centre, fabulous shopping and very easy access to the train station.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our Brasserie and I that if you are in Edinburgh in the future we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Brasserie and perhaps The Scotsman Hotel once again.

Kind regards

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I booked this hotel through British Airways, as they were offering a rather attractive B&B rate of around $160 per night. I was just coming down from the old stomping grounds at St Andrews (alma mater, 2012) and needed a hotel for a night before heading off to the airport. In addition to the attractive price, I asked on Facebook which was the best of the Edinburgh 5* properties, and the answers overwhelmingly suggested The Scotsman. Leave it to St Andrews students to know their 5* properties!

As with most of my hotel stays, I am generally one of the younger guests at 23. The clientèle was a mix of affluent young families and couples on holiday. They seemed quite content.

Check in was efficient and the lobby, though small, exudes a genuine, deep elegance. A seasoned traveller will note contrast with the grander, gaudier "luxury" one will find in many aspirational Asian properties.

I was told that I had received an upgrade from the standard queen room. The room I was received was on a lower floor (for noise reasons, I prefer higher floors), albeit with a view of the city centre.

The first order of business was a trip to the spa/pool/steam room/gym area. You descend into the depths wondering if you've lost yourself in the labyrinth to emerge into a subterranean oasis. The pool is an aluminum basin kept at the perfect temperature in an atmosphere that vaguely reminds one of swimming in a nightclub. The sauna and hot tub are a blessing for a traveller. I was a happy man. Though I did not partake, the gym appeared well furnished, equipped, and maintained. These are not just bullet points on an amenity list, but clearly are offerings into which management has invested time, money, and effort.

After dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant (location is ideal for eating), I retired to the bar for a night cap. I asked for my drink and mineral water. I was pleasantly surprised when the bartender poured a generous glass of mineral water and didn't charge for it. The already open bottle suggested that perhaps this isn't a rare occurrence, but I was nonetheless pleasantly surprised. The bar itself is a tastefully eclectic blend of modern and traditional décor and charges reasonable prices considering venue and location.

Off to bed for a comfortable sleep, with the exception of being woken by drunken revellers (it was Friday and one is in the city centre...and there was a festival that night nearby).

Room cleanliness was faultless and bathroom amenities were commensurate with a premium property and the experience expected therein.

Unfortunately, my flight out of Edinburgh was quite early, so my breakfast (included in rate) was rather abbreviated. Offerings appeared to be fine and above average, though not outstanding. I had just a bit of fruit and some sausage ordered off of the menu (this does not incur an extra charge).

~Taxi to EDI is about £20-25.
~A certain period internet usage is free. it is enough to attend to more urgent correspondence, but those dealing with significant online work will likely need more time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013

With regards to the spa we are very proud to have Scotland’s first ever stainless steel swimming pool, and I am glad that you had the chance to experience the relaxing atmosphere we pride ourselves on.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Frizington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Recently spent two nights at this hotel as part of our anniversary celebrations. Before arrival booked an anniversary dinner for the second night, staff incredibly helpful in making arrangements. When we arrived the welcome was first class and we were upgraded to an excellent suite. The quality of the furnishings, equipment and comfort was of the highest standard. All staff were friendly and helpful, breakfasts exceptional and we particularly enjoyed the elegant bar and its creative range of cocktails. When it came the anniversary dinner, the flowers ordered were beautiful and during a superb meal our excellent champagne was accompanied by a second bottle with the managements compliments. I have seldom had a better or more enjoyable stay in any hotel and we will certainly return

Room Tip: i would opt for a higher level floor away from the music club next to Waverley Station.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record such a positive review regarding your visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as trip advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

Knowing how important time away with your loved ones is I was very pleased to see that we made this a “first class” stay for your anniversary celebrations. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we were able to add to such a special occasion is an added bonus; I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman Hotel in the future.

Blackpool, Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night Anniversary break at The Scotsman. The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of town a short walk from everything. We arrived at Waverley Station and it is literally across the road. All staff we encountered were polite, helpful and friendly. We stayed in a classic room so my review is based purely on that. Although the room was a good size, the dressing table was situated in a corner of the room which was too cramped to be able to dry your hair properly without nearly banging your arm on the corner of the wall. My other niggle was the lack of wardrobe hanging space. There was only enough room to hang 6 items and I had to remove the ironing board out of the wardrobe to be able to fit these in. Quite poor really I thought for a 5 star hotel. The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was spacious and had a lovely big shower head and non steam mirrors.
We stayed on a room only basis, but we did go down for breakfast and chose off the "a la carte" breakfast menu (porridge was £2.75 and a sausage barm £3.50), as I cannot eat a big breakfast and £16.95 for a full Scottish breakfast and £12.95 for a continental was very expensive. We used the spa facilities every evening which was nice to chill out after a hard days sightseeing. We climbed Arthurs Seat - views fantastic. Ate at some lovely restaurants which I will review separately (Dubh Prais, Beirut, Mussel and Steak Bar & The Stockbridge). This was our first visit to Edinburgh and we loved it. Finally I was slightly disappointed in the Hotel failing to acknowledge in any way our Wedding Anniversary even though I had emailed to let them know a few weeks prior to our arrival and had received a response back from them saying "I have noted this special occasion on your booking and I am sure we can add some complimentary touches to make your stay extra special".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

With regards to the comment you made about the size of your room due to the hotel originally being home to the famous Scotsman newspaper all our rooms are individually sized and I am sorry to hear that you felt yours wasn’t up to your expectations.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and assure you that we take all of our guests reviews very seriously; may i ask that should you return to the hotel you request to speak to myself to allow me to ensure your room meets with your expectations.

Claire Thomas

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!