“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Scotsman Hotel to your Saves list
The Scotsman Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1YT, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #49 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had lunch in the brasserie and have to say the food was excellent as was the service the young hungarian waitress was a treat to be served by very friendly I even spoke to the manager about her she was lovely and it is people like her you need in this day and age to bring in the customers.
Highly recommended!!!!!! and great value we done it on a Travelzoo deal

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your meal with us is an added bonus; We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I hope you will return to dine or stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel.

1,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had lunch in the very attractive and atmospheric Brasserie.Service was swift,polite and unobtrusive.The food was appetising and perfectly presented: the home-made banoffee ice cream was the best we had ever tasted.

Room Tip: Only there for lunch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the North Bridge Brasserie; I was delighted to read that it was at the usual high standard at which we pride ourselves.
I have already passed on your comments to our Executive Head Chef and hope that you will choose to return to stay with us again in the future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had an editors room with a roll-top bath in a mini turret room just off the bedroom. The room was cosy and well appointed with a large bathroom with a power shower. On a cold weekend in march the reception was very warm and inviting as were the staff. Had dinner in the brasserie which was excellent. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future is an added bonus.
paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night on a Voyage Privee deal (bed, breakfast, afternoon tea).

Staff on the whole very friendly and professional. Hotel is charming and retains a lot of character. Room was comfortable and quiet (good bed, great pillows). The spa was great and the stainless steel pool really nice for relaxing.

However, breakfast was a bit chaotic and probably a little disappointing in terms of choice. The afternoon tea was also disappointing - not in terms of content but in terms of organisation (there had been an overbooking or similar meaning that it was served what i assumed to be a meeting room downstairs - originally the hotel wanted us to change our booking but the afternoon tea was one of the major points of the whole trip). We had to push hard to be able to have our original booking but by that point the shine had gone somewhat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I was sorry to read your comments about your afternoon tea reservation and I have already addressed this with our Restaurant and Bar Manager; I was surprised to read your feedback on our breakfast choice as we offer a 18ft continental selection as well as freshly cooked to order hot dishes. I have passed your feedback onto our Executive Head Chef and I would like to apologise that we have not met with your personal expectations.
I hope you will choose to return to stay with us again in the future and can assure you that we always endeavour to deliver the high standard of service for which we are known.
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our room was on 8 floor and lovely. The staff were friendly, very helpful ...easy to approach. If you are not happy about anything just ask. The staff will oblige. We were treat with respect and care. Breakfast plentiful and enjoyable. Very warm hotel. Spa great. We enjoyed our special occasion

• Stayed April 2013
I hope you will choose to return to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were awoken around midnight by heavy, base-pounding techno music permeating the very walls of our executive room. When we called reception at 1:00 am, we were told that "the club" would not close until 3:00 am. We later found out from two Edinburgh police constables that there is an independent club in the lower floors of the hotel building, over which the hotel has no apparent control. The hotel's staff, including its general manager, apparently prefer to deny the existence of this night club and simply refer to the booming techno music heard in the hotels' rooms as "city noise"! Unbelievable!

The housekeeping staff was slow and, despite an absence of over four hours, our room had not been made up. We had to leave the room and forego our planned afternoon nap. Upon escaping to the Brasserie, we were ignored by the waiting staff for a considerable time before insisting someone take our order.

An extremely disappointing stay, further exasperated by the staff's denials of the hotel's (not the city's) noise pollution problem.

Room Tip: Anything below the fourth floor is awful. I cannot comment on other floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman and I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments.

Since our personal correspondence following your stay with us I was pleased to read that you had confirmed that the origin of the noise disturbance was from a company out with the control of the Scotsman as we had discussed. The Scotsman hotel holds an enviable location in the very heart of Edinburgh city centre and for this reason we are subject to the noise pollution of a capital city, I would like to reassure you again that we make every effort to endeavour to ensure that our guest’s receive the relaxed and peaceful stay that expect.

We always look to deliver to offer our guest’s a 5 star standard of service and I am extremely sorry that you feel we have not met with your personal expectations during your stay; I would like to thank you once again for your feedback.

Redhill, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our stay at the Scotsman was perfect from start to finish.

We visited at a very special time of year for us. It was mine and my husband's first wedding anniversary and my father's birthday. My parents had never been to Edinburgh and always wanted to go so I bought their flights and accommodation as a gift. I contacted the hotel in advance of our stay to ask some questions about the rooms before booking.

I expressed how much I would love to book the editor suite for my parents as my Mum loves a bit of history and I wanted my parents to enjoy a bit of the history of Edinburgh as it was their first time. However, I couldn't afford it after paying for 4 flights so I went ahead with deluxe doubles which looked lovely too.

We arrived to check in and were so very touched that my parents had been allocated the editor suite at no extra cost. It meant so much to me as it was a special occasion for them and their first impression of Scotland - what a good one to have! My husband and I had also been allocated a suite on two floors that was just gorgeous and very romantic. Absolutely first class service!

The staff really do make this place. They are charming, sincere and warm. Whenever I walked through the lobby, there was somebody to wish me good morning or good evening and flash me a kind smile. For me, it's these things that warrant the 5th star. Every member of staff that I met was kind, discreet and genuine.

The breakfasts at the north bridge brasserie were consistently excellent and fairly priced. We didn't use the pool in the end but my parents did and they said it was lovely. We didn't get to use the little cinema but loved the concept and hope to use it next time we stay in Edinburgh.

Thank you so much to all of the people at the Scotsman that made us feel so special. Your efforts have gained you 4 very loyal customers who will continue to recommend you to all friends who visit Edinburgh in the future. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to an editor suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that your parents were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Editor rooms and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we were able to contribute to your enjoyment of such a special occasion is an added bonus; we certainly hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Claire Thomas

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!