“Edinburgh treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Scotsman Hotel to your Saves list
The Scotsman Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1YT, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #48 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Edinburgh treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Two night stay at this hotel was an absolute treat! Staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. Our room was beautiful and well appointed. The location of the hotel is perfect, next to Waverley Station and a stones throw from the Royal Mile and Princes Street.
Any problems were soon resolved by the hotel.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher for for views of Edinburgh
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guests reviews and to hear that you hope to stay with us again in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back

1,318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Had been completely wowed when I stayed at the hotel a few years ago and was really looking forward to staying again when friends organised their wedding in the hotel. This experience however was one disappointment after another with the exception of the wedding which was excellent. When we checked in early the rooms were not ready which is completely understandable however we did call in advance to explain we were keen to get organised for the wedding so hotel agreed to take our number and call as soon as it was ready. Nobody called us and when we had to ask again at the allocated time. This meant we had very little time to get ready for the wedding. I handed a fragile wedding gift to staff for the wedding couple just before the ceremony and was disgusted to learn several hours later it lying in the floor at the spot I had handed it over where anyone could have lifted or damaged it. I explained to another member if staff what had happened and she offered no apology saying why don't you take it to reception! After the wedding we went to our room which had the smallest double bed I have ever seen. It was pokey dark and so disappointing compared to my previous stay. The room had also not been properly cleaned as there were leftover hair products in one of the drawers. The room overlooked northbridge and was very noisy. It was very windy and the window rattled loudly the whole night. Was the worst nights stay in a hotel. On a positive note the food was excellent and the pool, steam and sauna room were good and the leisure staff too. The hotel building has a lots of lovely character. The staff when we checked out not interested. Basic courtesy was missing not even a how was your stay. Having previously raved about my earlier stay at this hotel difficult to express my huge disappointment at the experience on this occassion. No longer qualifies as "leading hotel" in my eyes.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I was extremely concerned to read your review and the issues that you have commented on; as I have not been previously made aware of these problems during your stay I am unable to comment with any clarity and ask that you contact me directly to allow me to thoroughly investigate these points with our teams.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your personal expectations; I hope to hear from you soon

Forfar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Got a great deal through a third party company and we were even upgraded to one of the rooms with lovely wooden panels and a great view over Princes Street Gardens. The bed was huge and comfortable.
The staff were lovely and when we went to leave in the evening to get a taxi to the theatre we were escorted out by the doorman holding an umbrella.
Great location for the centre of Edinburgh and Waverley Station. Breakfast was excellent and had a lovely selection.
Can't comment on the spa as unfortunately we didn't have time to visit this time - hopefully the next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I hope we will be welcoming you back to Edinburgh and the Scotsman in the future

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our room was in a great location overlooking Waverley Station, The Balmoral Hotel and Princes Street and we even had a glimpse of the castle. Our room was a quirky, unusual shape but was huge considering it was just a standard room. We even had a nice comfy sofa to relax on. We also went for a few drinks at the hotel restaurant which is absolutely stunning and we're disappointed we didn't eat there but we had reservations elsewhere.

However, after coming home from our Friday night meal the room absolutely reeked of paint. I don't think it was in our room but maybe coming through the HVAC system. I found it very difficult to sleep and felt really ill.

In hindsight I should have reported it to reception but just wanted a quiet life so just said room was fine and went on my way.......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.

I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed during your stay and I wish that you had allowed us the opportunity to rectify this for you whilst you were staying at the hotel; I’m sure you can appreciate that we have a detailed and ongoing maintenance and decoration schedule taking place throughout the hotel but we would certainly never want this to disturb our guest’s stay in anyway

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future

scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

stayed here in january.
staff made us very welcome.
room was large but old fashioned.
strange smell in corridors.
we were on 2nd floor and had good view of prncess st but think we just had standard rooms although we were told we had been upgraded.
gym and pool were great.
restaurant was good.
breakfast ok.
bar was nice.
the location is great on north bridge which is good for princess st and rose st and also good for royal mile and grassmarket etc.
if arriving at wavery station try and buz in at leisure centre entrance to use lifts up to reception or use stairs to save walking round the long way.
we ate at the wytchery which was fantastic

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

As I do not have the information about which room you stayed in with us I am afraid I am not able to comment with any clarity on the comments you have made about the set up of the room however we have had no reports of a “strange smell” and I am sorry that you found this during your stay.

Should you decide to visit the Scotsman again please be advised that the hotel also has an entrance on Market Street which leads directly into the hotel and you do not have to utilise the Spa entrance.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Edinburgh in the future

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to Scotsman for afternoon tea last week, very over priced for what you get but I suppose that's the norm for afternoon tea. I was told at the time of booking the youngest member of the group would be charged £12 but when the bill came we were charged full price for her at £16.95 She only ate a scone! Our bill came to well over £200 for the 10 of us and when I added it up we had been charged over £20 for 3 bottles of water and a service charge! Complete rip off. We were aware water cost that much.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel for Afternoon Tea.
I would like to offer you an assurance that our Afternoon Tea is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre restaurants in Edinburgh however I am sorry about the charging of the youngest member of your party and I trust that you bought this to the attention of our staff.
With regards to the service charge this is a discretionary charge that we are more than happy to deduct from your final bill at your request however I am sorry if this was not communicated to you during your visit
I would like to thank you for your time to write this review and assure you that all feedback is gratefully received
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in a really great location for shopping a visitng all the major attractions in Edinburgh. Rooms were perhaps alittle on small side but not bad value for money. Breakfast was good but we ate out in Edinburgh in the evening as there are so many great places to eat. If oyu want a central location in Edinburgh then this is a good place to stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.

I hope you will choose to return to the Scotsman in the future and to try our award winning North Bridge Brasserie

Claire Thomas

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!