“Good hotel but not worthy of 5 star rating” 3 of 5 stars

The Scotsman Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1YT, Scotland   |
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but not worthy of 5 star rating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from a one-night stay to celebrate my husband's birthday and to go to a rugby match. Hotel staff were very polite and helpful. On arrival were told we had been upgraded from an Editor's room to a Publisher room but what we got was a fairly cold, shabby (stains on carpets, sofas and curtains and the curtains were badly frayed) dungeon located next to the boiler room with a view of a brick wall - definitely not what was described for either an Editor or a Publisher room, not worthy of 5 stars and not worth the considerable sum I'd paid. Complained to reception and after 1 1/2 hours of to-ing and fro-ing we were able to move in to a more acceptable room with a view over the city. Although much happier with this room I would still say it only rated 4 stars (really good sized room and bed but decor and carpet stained and worn in places; some stains on bed throw, slippers and doors, all of which could easily have been cleaned). I've stayed in better 4 star hotels so where's the extra wow factor for the 5th star ?

Had been looking forward to using the spa before dinner but didn't have time due to the delay with the allocation of our room. Breakfast was very good (we were on a B&B rate) and we liked the fact you could choose anything from the cooked menus as well as helping yourelf to the continental buffet. Excellent choice and well cooked.

Overall, a good hotel with helpful and polite staff and good food but overpriced and not worth a 5 star rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your original room that was allocated to you but pleased that we were able to offer you a room that more suited your personal expectations.

As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. We always endeavour to allocate our guests rooms with views across the city however I’m sure you can appreciate that due to our position this is not always possible.

I would like to apologise that you feel that we did not justify our 5 star rating to you during your stay and would like to offer you my assurance that Preferred Hotels, Visit Scotland and The AA run several audits throughout the year and we are proud to maintain our rating with them.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem our good name with yourselves and that we will see you back at the Scotsman in the future

Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great location from train station, shops, bars & restaurants. Received an upgrade on arrival & got a lovely big room & huge bathroom, very comfortable bed.
Used the spa facilities, not treatments just pool area, steam & sauna. So relaxing my partner fell asleep on the poolside beds!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Scotsman with my daughter, we booked a 2 day spa package & it was excellent! From first walking in we were greeted by friendly welcoming staff. Andrew showed us to our room & explained the working for us, then left us to look around. The room was lovely, with views over the street to Princes street & beyond. We had evening meal on our first night as part of the package & this was a very nice meal, again staff very friendly. Breakfast was enjoyable with plenty of choice. We booked afternoon tea at the hotel which was fab, my daughter throughly enjoyed this as she has a wheat intolerance, but had the choice of a completely gluten free afternoon tea!! a special mention to Angela in the restaurant, she was very polite & informative & remembered about my daughter & her gluten free diet & brought gluten free toast with her breakfast without been reminded. The spa was another enjoyable part of our stay & 3 treatments were included in the package. Had a swim & jacuzzi in the lovely pool after the spa. We would definately return to this hotel & recommend to anyone thinking of staying there. We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe twin looking over the bridge, lovely views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments in particular about Angela; I have already personally passed these onto her and our Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at The Scotsman Hotel in October as we had tickets for Phantom of the Opera so wanted something central. They dont have a car park they just share with the train station. Wasnt too far as you could use a back door but as we have a baby wasnt great for us. The room was nice and I couldnt really fault it. We had lunch in their restaurant and I wouldnt really rate it. I ordered a drink and something was floating in it and then the food came and it wasnt really 5 star food. We booked this room without realising breakfast wasnt included but this was our own faults for not noticing. Breakfast was rather expensive at about £16.50 each.

All in all was a nice hotel but wasnt 5 star in our opinions. I wouldnt go back in a hurry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman. I’m sorry that this was a disappointment to you; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accommodate our own car park and for this reason have never advertised this service.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment in the evening meal that you had with us; our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart proudly produces some of Edinburgh’s finest cuisine and as you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor we are proud to be known for the high standard of our menu and service.

I can offer you an assurance that our menu is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre restaurants in Edinburgh; however I am sorry that we have not met with your personal expectations

Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Directly opposite Waverly Train station, we had just taken the overnight train from London.
Hotel is located one block off The Royal Mile, so the location was perfect! I can't say enough about the entire Staff, everyone, from Nick, whom we first encountered, to everyone after,
was most anxious to be helpful, in any way. My room was so spacious, and the bath! I took a bath every single day, so luxurious!! I cannot wait to go back and will recommend it to anyone I know considering a long overdue trip to this most gothic, magical place................

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great old building fantastic interior, breakfast and dinner good. strange place to navigate round and no parking but close to station and NCP park down road.
Staff seem to ok sometimes but a bit slow on other.
My room was on 9th floor and really nice but it was a suite.

Room Tip: can not speak for other rooms but 9th floor rooms were really good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
I must admit to being surprised to read that you our staff did not meet your personally expectations; as you can see from the majority of reviews on this website our staff are our shining beacon and endeavour to deliver an exceptionally high standard of service throughout our guests stay. I am sorry that you feel we did not achieve this during your stay
I hope that you will perhaps return to stay with us in the future and offer the Scotsman the opportunity to redeem our good name
Harleston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for a weekend in October celebrating a "special" birthday and a retirement. The hotel is well situated just a few steps from The Waverley Station and a short walk from Princes Street and The Royal Mile.
Firstly, we were welcomed by friendly, helpful reception staff and offered a comlimentary room upgrade. Ivor showed us to our room where he offered a comprehensive introduction to our accomodation and the hotel services. He was a really lovely man and nothing appeard to be too much trouble for him.
Our room was large, comfortably furnished and well equiped. The umberella was a nice touch. Like other reviewers, we were on the side overlooking the back entrance to the station so we experienced some noise from late night revellers but never too much to prevent us from sleeping. One small gripe would be that the view from our window was just the chimney pots of the adjacent buildings but we were out exploring during the day anyway. Didn't get time to experience the spa.
We ate in The Brassiere one night and the food was exceptional. A little on the pricey side but to be expected as it is a 5* hotel.
The breakfast menu provided a good selection of hot and cold dishes and the food was very good. The staff were helpful and friendly.
On the whole, we had a fantastic weekend staying in this hotel and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we contributed to the enjoyment of your special occasions is an added bonus.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff and Ivor in particular; I have already personally passed these onto him and our Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
I hope that, should you return to stay with us in the future you will have the opportunity to enjoy the rest of our Health Club facilities; we look forward to hopfully welcoming you back to the Scotsman
Claire Thomas

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!