“We loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

To whom it may concern,

We just wanted to say how much we have enjoyed our stay at the Scotsman this past week. The rooms are generous in size, historic yet with all the modern conveniences you could hope for. But as beautiful as the building is, what impressed us most was the people who worked there. Everyone went out of the way to make us feel at home. The concierge team especially impressed us. They were were professional and always had a smile on their face. We felt very spoiled while we were there. We fell in love with Scotland and want to come back, we want you to know our stay at the Scotsman was an experience we plan to to repeat when we "haste back".

Marianne and Kevin Helmich

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms - one was a large historic room with antique wood paneling and a go...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s review and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus. We look forward to welcoming you back
Claire Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for a mid week break before baby arrived, and although it was lovely I was slightly let down at the same time...the rooms were very clean, and spacious but also quite dark with no outlook. The breakfast was amazing, and the location brilliant though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was sorry to hear that you found your room to be quite dark; as we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. We always endeavour to allocate our guests rooms with views across the city however I’m sure you can appreciate that due to our position this is not always possible.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you well with your new arrival and hope that you will perhaps choose to return to the Scotsman in the future

Rhondda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Lovely hotel, as in style and decor. Beautiful old building. I wanted to rate this hotel very good but my partner felt that it was average. He marked it down as he felt the mattress was uncomfortable and that the room was not a spacious as he thought it would be from looking at the pictures on the hotel website. They were also painting the corridors and there was an awful smell of paint. No view. I found the drapes very hard to open and my partner had to open the windows as I couldn't reach the handle. I'm 5 foot 2. I loved the shower and the room was spotless. Sky Sports was also a bonus as the Golf was on! The staff were friendly and the staff in the bar were lovely. We didn't use the spa or the restaurant so I cannot comment on those points. I was unaware that the hotel would take £200.00 out of my debit card at check in. I have never experienced this before. I had paid in full for my stay well in advance. What if the trip had been a gift off someone and we were on a budget? We didn't use the mini bar, we never do while we are away. I did ask the young Lady at reception when checking out why I had to pay the money in the first place, but came away still confused as to why. All in all I felt that this was a good hotel but I feel that it is only really 5 star if you book a more expensive room than a Study room. I enjoyed my stay in Edinburgh and I cannot fault the hotels position. It is great for Princess Street and for the Royal Mile. The Scots are fabulous people and I cant wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
With regards to the room that you viewed on the internet, the Scotsman hotel is housed in the building that was originally the home of the famous Scotsman newspaper. We are very proud of the fact that during the conversion to the hotel as it is today a lot of the traditional and quirky rooms were kept as close to their original layout as possible. As no 2 rooms are the same I’m sure you can appreciate that we are unable to show all 69 of our rooms and suites on the internet however I am sorry that we did not meet your partner’s expectations.
With regards to your comments about the painting that was taking place, I’m sure you can appreciate that as a 24/7 business we have an ongoing maintenance and painting schedule to endeavour to ensure that the hotel and all of its areas remain fresh for our guests comfort.
I would like to confirm that the money that was put onto your card at the time of your arrival is simply a pre-authorisation of £50 per night as is done in the majority of international hotels in order to guarantee against any extras charged to your room, I would like to apologise if this was not clearly explained to you at check in; I’m sure you will have seen that this amount, less any extras, will have been refunded to your card since your departure.
I was pleased to read that you hope to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip. Very comfortable. Ask for a (spacious) corner room that gives views of the sea and the city. Be aware that the hotel is right next to the railway and has internal double glazing - important for claustrophobes. But everything opens and you can get fresh air, at the expense of a (very mild) bit of street noise. Lovely bar/brasserie. Delicious breakfast. Very central. Charming staff (this is at variance with other reviews, but my experience was very good). Expensive but worth it. A good place to stay in a beautiful city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I would like to offer you an assurance that our accommodation is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre hotels in Edinburgh and I would always suggest booking directly with us to ensure you gain the best available rate

I hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

A friend and I used the spa as part of a 2 for 1 voucher, it really is a lovely environment- extremely relaxing and beautiful. Definitely worth a trip! If there was a complaint to make it would only be that the staff seem completely uninterested in contributing to the general vibe. It isn't really a problem but they can make you feel a little uncomfortable, especially if you are just visiting as a guest. Overall, however, it is great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Spa and Health Club. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I was very concerned to read that you had been made to feel uncomfortable during your visit and would like assure you that this is not the service we endeavour to deliver and as you can see from the majority of reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor it is not the service we are proudly known for either. I would like to sincerely apologise for this and I have already addressed these points with our Spa and Health Club Manager, Caroline Murray
I was very pleased to read that you found it overall, to be a great visit and you enjoyed the wonderfully relaxing environment of the Spa and I hope that you will choose to return to visit us again either at the Spa or perhaps the Scotsman Hotel itself
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I paid for my brother and now sister in law to stay at the Scotsman Hotel in Edinburgh. I could not have asked for the staff to any better from the daily reports I was getting from brother. Nothing was too much trouble and I mentioned in an email a month before they were due to arrive that they were newlyweds, what was nice is that they did not forget this and must have made a note of it. When Brian and Jayne got to their room they had a selection of pastries with a congratulations card welcoming them. I have never been but from what they were telling me I certainly will give it a try! They loved it. The staff was professional and could not do enough for them.

Room Tip: Worthwhile to send an email if you nave any requests
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your brother’s recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
It is always a pleasure to read our guests’ reviews and to hear that we were able to contribute to such a special occasion for your brother and his wife is an added bonus. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that they experienced all of these and enjoyed their stay.
I hope that we can welcome them back to the Scotsman in the future and indeed that you will choose to join us for a wonderful “Scotsman” experience

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here with my Partner in August for a night during the Eginburgh Fringe, we drove up from Leeds and took advantage of the discounted parking the hotel offers. We pulled up outside the hotel, were greeted by the Concierge who was hosting some pretty nifty tartan trousers, he gave me some decent directions to the parking around the maze of roads and even a hand drawn map.

The impeccable service continued when we checked in, it took mere minutes, we were taken to our wonderfully vast room which was faultless. The bed was massive and comfortable, the decoration was superb, the facilities were splendid. A en suite free standing bath with an audio system, a seperate shower with a ridiculous amount of shower heads at multiple levels that you could drown in if you weren't careful, and a great view!

We didn't intend to spend much time in the room but it was hard not to, from the initial service to the quality of the facilities it was just spot on, close to all the tourist destinations on both sides of the bridge, and easy to find after a night out!

Room 10/10
Staff 10/10
Location 10/10

Believe it or not I'm not easily pleased, but, even though the staff were extremely busy, they didn't forget the little things that matter, a smile, a polite greeting etc. It is a well managed and staff Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Scotsman Hotel? Share your experiences!