“Overnight with mates” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Overnight with mates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Despite the hotel bursting at the seems with party goers, we had a great time using a the spa, having a fine meal and watching the lightning storm from one of the rooftop suites. Despite some staff warnings of having to wait at peak breakfast times, we got a table very promptly and then checked out without any fuss.

Great staff, value and company made for a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay. It is fantastic that you and your friends had a great time in the Spa and that you enjoyed your evening meal. Breakfast can get very busy at weekends and we always advise that if you would like a more leisurely experience to avoid peak times. I am delighted that you were served breakfast promptly and you were able to check out smoothly. Thank you again for your kind comments.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have used Norton House for various business and leisure activities over last few years. It is convenient to the airport but seems like it is a world away in terms of setting. Staff are always first class and quality of amenities unbeatable for the cost.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review following your business trip in December. I am delighted to read that this was not your first visit and that you have stayed here on business and leisure many times over the last few years. It is great to read that you always find the staff first class and that you find our facilities value for money. I do hope to welcome you back to Norton House in the very near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed at this beautiful hotel for one evening with my friend Danna in the outstanding edinburgh suite , the room itself was outstanding with amazing full room views with the floor to ceiling windows and the wrap around balcony . The bathroom was also outstanding with the huge bath with a built in tv and amazing underfloor heating small details like this really make a hotel special , the whole ambience of the hotel is beautiful very old worldy in reception , and the good was amazing I had duck egg to start which was perfection and the risotto for main although too much for me I still ate as much as I could , for dessert I recommend the brownie with cherry ice cream the contrasting tastes are a flavour explosion on your tongue . Finally the spa was perfect , the hydrotherapy pool was idyllic and shower was like anything I ever seen , I will 100% return to hotel as staff and setting and exactly what you look for when away for a break .

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review following your recent break at our hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments and I will ensure that this feedback is passed to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Norton House Hotel is a real gem, hidden in surrounding countryside but still only a 20 minute taxi drive away from the centre of Edinburgh.
My wife and I have stayed at Norton House hotel a few times, we have used the location for birthday and christening parties and I also use the hotel whenever possible for business. The facilities are excellent, the staff always happy to help with a genuine smile, and the rooms on every occasion have been extremely comfortable.
Breakfast on our recent stay was a bit dissapointing, with pancakes that were luke warm and seemed to be from a packet rather than freshly made, but that's just a minor gripe.

All in all a warm, friendly and comfortable hotel, just what is needed when staying away on business or on a family break.

Room Tip: The Murrayfield room is easy to find, has a fantastic upstairs shower and a nice balcony overlooking...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you find all our staff genuine and friendly and I agree with you that our location is ideal. Please accept my apologies regarding the pancakes. I have taken on board your comments and this feedback has been discussed with the chef. It is great to see that you have become a frequent visitor and utilised our facilities for both business and leisure. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were fortunate enough to win a DBB voucher from Handpicked and chose Norton House as we live in Scotland. The hotel bedrooms are lovel - we were in a standard double and it more than met all of our needs. The spa is fab - a great facility and very ambient and makes the hotel well worth a visit. We were looking forward to dinner in the Brasserie. With a head chef who boasts three rosettes in the fine dining restaurant, we were sure that the Brasserie would be very good too. We did not find this to be the case. I ordered a rabbit terrine to start - it would have been very flavoursome served warm, but straight from a cold fridge, it didn't really work. My husband ordered the pate, which was fine though. We both ordered confit duck with toulouse sausage on a bean cassoulet for the main course. As one of the priciest main courses, we were expecting it to be packed full of rich meaty, winey flavour. It was very, very disappointing. The duck was OK, but the cassoulet was just tinned tomatoes and beans. I had two miniscule (and I mean miniscule) pieces of toulouse in the whole dish and my husband had none at all. the whole thing was lacklustre and pretty bland. We moved on to dessert. My husband ordered apple creme brulee - his favourite. What arrived was a creme anglaise with some crumble crumbs topped with apple sorbet. You can't mess with a creme brulee or call a deconstructed crumble one either! Finally, at breakfast the next morning, the waiter asked how we would like our poached eggs. I was impressed by this at the time and we both ordered soft ones. The eggs that got delivered though were hard - what is the point in even asking if you can't do it? My smoked haddock was a bit over cooked and my husband's kipper came complete with bone (and he assures this doesn't happen at other hotels...).

The Norton House is lovely, but our food experience let it down (there is also a poor selection of bottled beer behind the bar and they sold me a tube of crisps that had already been opened and half eaten!) and left us feeling that it was really nothing special. The fact that we got the stay as a prize is beside the point - our expectations were a lot higher than what we got.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for posting a review following your visit to our hotel in November. I am delighted that you found your room to be lovely and that you found the Spa fantastic. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations with the quality of food served in our Brasserie restaurant. To receive such negative feedback regarding the food in the Brasserie goes against the many positive reviews on Trip advisor and the many compliments received from our guests at the hotel. I have asked the Brasserie Management team to review the dishes you had on the evening and again I apologise that they were not to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We came for two nights and ended up staying three. ! In fact we could have stayed here for even longer!
It's a lovely hotel in a very convenient quiet setting. Out of town but near enough to get to Edinburgh City Centre by bus or by taxi.
Couldn't fault any of the staff, but special mention has to go to Piers on reception and Sandor in
Ushers restaurant.
The restaurant was excellent. We had the 9 course taster menu with superb matched wines!
Faultless service and yes Sandor does describe every dish, as he should, and his enthusiasm for the food and wines was wonderful. It really is a beautiful, small, romantic little restaurant. The chef is top notch and we have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants before and thought this little gem was better!
There was a wedding on two of the nights we stayed and when you check in your heart sinks a little as sometimes they can be intrusive for couples who want a quiet break. But in all honesty we barely noticed and it didn't detract at all from our quiet enjoyment. We sat in the lounge area after our fabulous dinner and you only heard the music from the disco when the door was opened as people came and went. Other than that the room seems well sound proofed.
We had a room in the main building at the front of the hotel and never heard a sound of car engines or noise of any description, and we had the window open slightly!
The room was beautifully decorated, warm, clean and comfortable. What more can you ask for?
My husband used the spa and swimming pool and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pool is lovely.
Breakfast was varied and plentiful, the haggis was the best I've tasted!
But at the end of the day, what really makes a hotel that extra bit special is the staff.
Every single one was helpful, attentive, polite, friendly and made us feel really welcome!
So well done Norton House, we have stayed in nearly every Hand Picked Hotel there is now, and this is the Jewel in the Crown! Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building which we loved, but have also stayed a few years ago in the Executive...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post such a super review following your three night visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly, attentive and that they all made you feel welcome. We are very proud of the team here at Norton House and it is very encouraging to read such positive feedback about your experience. It is great to see that you will stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Montrose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

What an amazing place and amazing staff! Everything we did from start to finish was fantastic... beautiful hotel and grounds, lovely rooms, champagne afternoon tea, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hydrotherapy pool, cocktails, evening meal, breakfast, spa treatments and not to forget the very friendly and attentive staff... fabulous relaxing girls weekend away! Can't wait to do it all again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting such a fantastic review of our hotel following your relaxing girl’s weekend away. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found all the team to be attentive and friendly. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel in the very near future.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!