“beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
edinburgh
“beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Loved my stay at this hotel, been to many hotels in the UK and this is one of the best. stayed part of a trip as i work for travel company,

amazing grounds, amazing rooms, great staff, spa facilties are amazing and hotel food was awesome

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a super review following your recent trip on business. To receive such feedback from a guest who stays in many hotels is very encouraging. I am pleased that you found your room, the grounds and the spa amazing and I am sure the chefs will be delighted when they read your feedback that their food was awesome. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
east midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night on our way further North. The location is good on terms of access to the motorway but is near the airport so you will hear some planes passing quite low overhead, though this didn't wake us in the night/morning so not too much of a problem.

We upgraded our room to an executive double for a small fee and it was definitely worth it, lovely room & bathroom with fab shower and super quiet air con. Even though it was a bit of a trek back to reception and the restaurant, we were near the spa so that was good.

The spa is lovely, really enjoyed spending a couple of hours there after a long journey and walk around Edinburgh.

We ate in the brasserie and found it very nice, good service and tasty food served in good time.

We'd definitely visit again if we were in the area!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am pleased that you took up the option of upgrading to one of our executive rooms and it is great to read that you found it worthwhile. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience in the Spa and that you found the food in the brasserie tasty and the service good. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa next time you are in the area.
Moray, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Norton House is a lovely old period building with modern additions. I thought my room was excellent but it's location was annoying. The room was spacious with a lovely modern bathroom and good quality furnishings. I had to use 2 lifts to get to the room and I got lost once trying trying to find my way back to reception! By day 2 it was fine and finding I could park my car outside was helpful, but day 1 was confusing. I didn't enjoy the restaurant. My fish starter was tiny while my friend's chicken ceaser was huge. Mains were bland. I thought the wine list was very poor. We asked staff for recommendations but all 4 wines we tried over the 2 days were poor quality and very expensive. Staff were ok didn't interact much. I loved the gym - Great equipment options. So 4 star, 5 for my room and the gym, 3 for everything else.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us in August. It is great to read that your room was excellent and that you found it spacious with good quality furnishings. I do take on board your comments regarding location, some of our guests do find the new wing of rooms a bit of a maze, but we have put many signs up to guide them around this part of the hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed with the Brasserie and the quality of wines you tried, I can only apologise that they were not to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the future.
Banchory Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night. Pleasantly surprised, nice looking hotel. Easy parking. Location was fine for us as we came down from Aberdeen for a Ikea shopping trip and wasn't bothered about going into centre of Edinburgh.
We did ask to change the first room we were given as the window in the bedroom was entirely frosted so you couldn't see out at all. You might expect this in the city centre but not in a country house hotel in its own grounds. Also the room was old fashioned/ classic not like the photos of rooms on their site which are contemporary and the reason we booked the hotel.
We were promptly offered a choice of two other rooms, one of which was as the photos show very contemporary but with an OK bathroom, again not like the photos. The other room was larger and decorated (although not recently) like the original room, old fashioned/ classic, not our preference. However the bathroom had recently been refurbed and was lovely as well as very large. We opted for this one and it was very comfortable.
The spa was absolutely wonderful and a real bonus. Had a nice hot stone massage. Very reasonable price due to a special promotion at the time.
The spa is not joined to the hotel so you have to go outside, but worth it. You can just go back and forth in your robe but bring your own slippers as they only provide them when having a treatment.
The staff were lovely particular those working in the spa. Also the restaurant.
Unfortunaly we had a problem with the wine. We asked for a glass of Rosé wine each stating we only wanted it if was served very cold and was reassured it was. The waitress asked if we wanted small, medium or large. We decided on large. When the wine arrived we were disappointed as it was not that cold at all. We really only enjoy wine chilled and a sign of this is when condensation forms on the outside of the glass unlike how our wine was served. Felt bad for complaining but the wine was replaced no problem and was chilled to our satisfaction although now as a medium serving not the large we were paying for. That too was corrected once we pointed it out. I felt doubly bad now being so petty but was glad I did when I realised they charge £10 A GLASS! I've never been charged £10 for a glass of before, thought it was ridiculous. If they're going to charge that they should certainly get it right the first time.
Over all we had a lovely stay, fab time in the spa but felt cheated by the cost of the wine.

Room Tip: Mention you want a room that you see out of the window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor following your recent stay. I am sorry that you had to move rooms but pleased that you found the traditional room comfortable. I am delighted that you enjoyed your hot stone massage and that you referred to our spa as wonderful. We do have special promotions in the spa and I am glad you were able to take advantage of one on this occasion. Please let me apologise for the issues you experienced with the wine service. This feedback has been passed to our Food and Beverage Manager to discuss with his team. Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know your constructive views on your visit to our hotel.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay with my sister and can't recommend this hotel and spa highly enough. Special thanks go to Lynnel and Lynnette for making sure our stay was memorable. Lovely rooms, food and the spa was heavenly! All of the staff were so welcoming and nothing was a problem. Will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for posting such lovely feedback. I am pleased that you had such a great time and that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I will personally thank Lynnel and Lynnette for making your stay so memorable. I know they will both be delighted when they read this review. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I will say first of all this IS a lovely hotel with an amazing staff however you should know ahead of time while it IS outside of Edinburgh, sort of in the country, it IS just across the road from the airport. Also you are not likely to end up in the "manor" house bit of the hotel but in the more modern, though lovely, rooms. And the floor plan for the annex is really convoluted.
This said it is still a fab place with a great bar and bar staff. Skip dinner here if you're thinking their brasserie and eat in town. If you're ok with food from the bar you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the house if you want 4 poster beds other wise you're in a very nice moder...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay in August. I am delighted you found our hotel to be lovely and that you found the staff amazing. With regard to bedroom options we have classic rooms to which we have two types’ traditional and contemporary, and executive rooms and suites. We do have guests who prefer the traditional rooms in the main house and these will be allocated if requested. I am pleased that you found your modern room lovely and that you enjoyed the ambience in the bar. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A great hotel and we totally recommend the worthwhile upgrade to the Junior Suites as its a duplex room with the most amazing walk in shower room upstairs.

The Spa was also stunning with us spending over 5 hours there with treatments and swimming and steam room etc, The Aqua pool was also stunning with a waterfall fabulous for shoulder massage!

We had a family function also which went brilliantly well and like to thank all the staff for looking after us... Although there was a big noise from the kitchen at one point with a lot of glass crashing so not sure they had many glasses left lol

Thank you and highly recommend this amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Junior Suite you will not regret it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I very much appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you and the family had a fantastic weekend and that you enjoyed the function that you attended. I agree with you that it is a great option when available to upgrade to one of our suites. The duplex rooms are very popular with our guests and I am pleased you liked the walk in shower on the top level. It is great to see you spent quality time in the Spa and utilised all the facilities. Thank you for recommending our hotel to future guests and I do hope you have the opportunity to return in the future.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!