“Nice stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Booked this hotel for our anniversary. I even mentioned this to them on the phone in advance in case they could do something nice in the room as per their communication on their receipt. However, we got there, lovely setting for a hotel, and greeted courteously by receptionist.
Room was really nice and I had the best sleep in ages. however the bathroom was small and had an off odour - the extractor fan doesn't work.
Had supper in the brasserie. Meal was tasty, but staff were slow to react to us throughout the meal, standing there and then not noticing when we were trying to get their attention.
We went to the spa to ask a few questions and book treatments. The lady there looked down on us as if we weren't good enough to be there - spa was booked out anyway due to bank holiday, but she could have been friendly. So I didn't even use the fitness suite that day as I didn't want to go past her again as I felt uncomfortable.
Breakfast on both days was tasty and waiters were much better than in the evening (even though they were the same people!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking comment on your recent visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. Whilst I was glad you had a nice stay, I was disappointed that it was not better and I am grateful to you for letting me know how it could have been improved. I am aware that we had an issue in one of the bathrooms and next week we are having some of our bathroom ventilation replaced. Please accept my apologies if you felt that one of my team “Looked down” on you. This is not a comment that we receive as generally our staff come across as very friendly. I have mentioned this point to my Club Manager to ensure that it does not recur. Thank you again for your comments.

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed over the Easter weekend and the place was packed. There were weddings and other private events going on, but the layout of the hotel is such that we hardly noticed. The staff were clearly run off their feet but still managed to provide a friendly and relaxed service. Facilities were good generally, and the excellent spa was a real bonus.We had been booked into a tiny family-run hotel in Somerset, but had to change destination, and we were delighted with Norton House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in March. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our hotel and I hope we will see you return to us in the future.

Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Over the past year I have visited the spa at Norton house a few times and recommended it to everyone as I just loved it, the facilities are lovely so as part of a trip I had planned over the easter weekend I thought it would be amazing to stay here as I had loved the spa so much and thought the hotel would have been to the same standards.......hmm not to sure about that one. I understand the spa is a new addition to the hotel so its more modern but when we arrived and went for drinks we sat in the conservatory bar and it was so tired and lifeless there was stains all over the blinds and it wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting. On checking in we were shown our room door but that was it! When I stay in 4* establishments I expect to be shown in to the room, bags carried and told exactly how to work things, what time breakfast is at etc all the things you like to be informed about. I know it tells you all this information in the welcome pack but a little attention from staff to customers wouldn't go a miss. The room overall didn't exactly have the wow factor either apart from the huge tv, the bathroom was tiny! I felt I was more in a cheap travel inn than a 4 star hotel? After check in we headed for the spa, asked for towels, robes etc which they don't provide for you unless your a day spa! Another thing that could have been mentioned to us when checking in. I understand the spa was heaving due to easter weekend so we didn't spent that much time in there so decided to have lunch in the spa lounge area, two of the people in the group had bacon rolls said they were bone dry and tasteless at £6 or £7 a roll it was a rip off! Later on we had dinnner in the brasserie and wish we had ate out. Complete rip off again at £150 for the bill for 4 people when we only had mains and desert and a couple of drinks, food was tasteless, the £25 steak was fatty which you don't expect at that price. Over my trip I had visited alot of great restaurants with amazing food which I didn't mind paying as the quality was so high but when your paying alot for tasteless food it left me very dissapointed and wish we had spent our money elsewhere in edinburgh. All in all I won't b recommending norton house hotel to friends. And thanks to the parents that let their darling children run the full length of the corridor outside our room at 7.30am!!!!great wakeup call!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am grateful to you for taking the time to express your views on Tripadvisor after your stay with us in March. I was disappointed to read your comments but it is very important to me that we know when we didn’t get things right. The conservatory lounge is a lovely bright airy space and as such, does get heavily utilised. Over the next couple of months we have agreed a plan for some investment into this area. We have a variety of different room types in the hotel from Classic Rooms right up to our Suites. The room type that you occupied was fully redecorated recently and I think these rooms are of a great standard but, I agree, they do not have the biggest bathrooms in the hotel. I am sorry that you were not shown to your room correctly. We do have set standards for this and information which should be chatted about on the way to the room. It seems that this did not happen properly for you and I do apologise for this. I am a little confused as to the price you have suggested for the bacon roll in the Club as our prices are well below that point but it does not take away from the fact that your friends found them to be dry and tasteless. I have discussed this with our chef. In our Brasserie, we do endeavour to keep our pricing competitive and we offer a variety of individually priced items. Obviously, steaks will be at the top end of the spectrum but, again, I apologise that you were unhappy with the amount of fat. Thank you, again, for posting a review; it is only with constructive points such as these that I can continue to improve the hotel’s performance.

Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had booked this hotel through Secret Escapes.com. Our first impressions were great. Its a lovely hotel situated not far from the motorway and very easy to find. Sat Nav will take you straight there. We were on our honeymoon and we really appreciated the staff letting us check in early. The receptionist was lovely and very helpful.

We were upgraded to the Lothian Suite and found the room was clean, very spacious and the bed was queen size!! It definitely had the wow factor as we had a huge bathroom and separate sitting room in the Suite. We had a safe, fridge with milk and water in it and good tea and coffee making facilities. There was free internet and wifi available.

The spa was excellent although we couldnt have booked any treatments as there were no appointments available until the Sunday and we were leaving on the Saturday. It may be worth booking in advance and checking if treatment slots are available. The Spa is located not far away from the main hotel.

As the evening came our room was quite chilly and we realised that only one of the electric radiators in the whole suite was working. At one point before we had returned to the hotel, room service must have come into the room and turned down the bed for us. Its a shame they didnt realise how cold the room was and supplied a room heater or placed a hot water bottle in the bed. The wow factor had gone. It was very surprising because at one point my wife and I were huddled up in front of a little electric heater until room service supplied another one.

We reported this to reception and the staff brought us a separate heater which we plugged in but because the suite had three separate rooms and was big it did not really make any difference.

The bathroom was freezing!! A walk in freezer. Im surprised this room doesnt have sufficient heating to heat the room. The only working electric heater was 2ft / 2ft and its obvious that its well overworked due to the browning on the outside and very hot to touch. The bathroom had a small towel rail that provided little or no heat for the bathroom. When we went to bed we deliberately turned alll the electric heaters off for safety reasons. Its worth checking with the hotel that if you upgrade to one of the suites its not an upgrade to a polar suite.

The breakfast in the morning was lovely and plenty of choice. It even beats the Doubletree Hotel group morning breakfast selection. We didnt have an evening meal at the hotel but went into Edinburgh to eat.

On checking out of the hotel the next morning after breakfast we were asked if everything had been ok but when we mentioned the cold room we were not given an apology or compensation which we thought we may have been offered with a hotel of this standard.

As we were staying here on our honeymoon we thought we might have been treated with a bit more respect. Even though our experience of the hotel was overshadowed by the cold room it was a lovely hotel.

During the afternoon we visited Edinburgh and we suggest not taking the Park and Ride nearby the hotel as the bus service will not return you to your car as we had found out. Instead it will drop you about a mile away. Also it will take about 45 minutes to Edinburgh town centre. Do check with the local bus service and park and ride before you set off.

Room Tip: Make sure the heating is working and the Spa treatment appoinments are available. Check bus times
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in March. It does seem to me that you did very much enjoy your stay apart from the fact that the room was cold. I am unsure as to why this is the case apart from the fact that the weather was very cold during your stay with us. This room does have several radiators but I have asked my maintenance team to check them and ensure that they are working properly. It is a shame that this was the case as we were aware that it was a special occasion which is why we had upgraded you for your break. Please accept my apology for this. I am delighted that, otherwise, you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we will see you back at Norton House in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a stay at norton house I felt I had to write a review - it's not something I would normally do. On arrival at the hotel the reception staff could not have been more welcoming. Having enquired about lunch in the brasserie we were advised it was fully booked, however after only minutes a table was found and again we were made very welcome. Food was fantastic in beautiful surroundings. My husband and I then headed to the spa which was amazing. Again the staff couldn't do enough to make sure we were happy. The facilities were fantastic. Back to the hotel and our luggage had been taken to our room. Our room was just luxury and immaculate. I relaxed in the bath watching a movie whilst my husband reclined on the balcony. During our stay the staff were efficient and accommodating without being obtrusive. Will be heading back for another stay very very soon and thanks to everyone at hotel for making it so special.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of you recent visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your review; they will be very encouraged by your lovely comments. I hope we will see you return to our hotel in the near future.

Astley, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Friendly hotel situated in beautiful grounds.
The city is just a short drive away or alternatively as we did use the park and ride that has regular buses running every few minutes.
The hotel spa is a great place to relax,the only downside is you have to walk outside to access the facilities ( it was snowing so not great ) but it was very clean and the facilities were of a high standard.Treatment prices I found to be a little pricey so sadly didn't get to have the relaxing massage I was hoping to treat myself to :(
Our room was spacious,comfortable and clean.
Breakfast was good with a large choice of menu and were able to take time to enjoy our food and were not rushed out dead on 10am (as we have been in other large hotels)
The restaurant staff were polite and helpful especially Michael a young waiter, he was very informative and was extremely helpful in guiding us through the dinner menu.
The food was good but not outstanding and the Brasserie setting was a little disappointing resembling a cheap cafe,not in character with the grandeur of the exterior of the hotel. :( This hotel has lovely old rooms filled with character and charm and beautiful grounds to match.Why they are not used to make a wonderful dining experience I will never know??
Jennifer the hotel receptionist we found to be extremely helpful and polite,she was informative and went out of her way to answer all of our questions.
We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again very soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts on Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will look forward to visiting again soon. It is indeed true to say that one has to walk outside to access our Spa but it is only a very short distance from the nearest exit from the main building. I was disappointed that you found our treatment prices to be a little pricey. We do carry out regular competitor analysis to ensure that our pricing structure is commensurate with the quality that is offered. Thank you for your lovely comments concerning Jennifer and Michael. I will ensure that they are aware of your review. I note your comments regarding our Brasserie. We do have two restaurants available to our guests. The Brasserie serves traditional and more simple menu items than our 3 Rosette Restaurant Ushers. I do hope on your next visit you may be able to dine in Ushers. Thank you again for posting a review on Tripadvisor and I hope that we will see you back at Norton House in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I will always be grateful to the impeccable service we received from Norton House on our wedding day. The staff treated each and every guest remarkably. All 70 guests commented on how valued and looked after they felt. The staff really do make your stay feel so special.

The food was incredible and caters for many needs. You will not be disappointed with the delicious food on offer.

Norton House played a vital role in delivering what was the most important day of our lives.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering enquiring their services.

Dear Leah

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a lovely review of Norton House Hotel and Spa after your wedding here. I am delighted that you had such a great day and I do hope you are enjoying married life. From us all at Norton House, we wish you and Jack a very long and happy marriage and we hope to see you back at Norton House in the future.

R MacKay

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!