“Fabulous hotel with fantastic service” 5 of 5 stars

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ingliston, Edinburgh EH28 8LX, Scotland   |
Ranked #31 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel with fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a stay at norton house I felt I had to write a review - it's not something I would normally do. On arrival at the hotel the reception staff could not have been more welcoming. Having enquired about lunch in the brasserie we were advised it was fully booked, however after only minutes a table was found and again we were made very welcome. Food was fantastic in beautiful surroundings. My husband and I then headed to the spa which was amazing. Again the staff couldn't do enough to make sure we were happy. The facilities were fantastic. Back to the hotel and our luggage had been taken to our room. Our room was just luxury and immaculate. I relaxed in the bath watching a movie whilst my husband reclined on the balcony. During our stay the staff were efficient and accommodating without being obtrusive. Will be heading back for another stay very very soon and thanks to everyone at hotel for making it so special.

• Stayed March 2013
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of you recent visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your review; they will be very encouraged by your lovely comments. I hope we will see you return to our hotel in the near future.

630 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Astley, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Friendly hotel situated in beautiful grounds.
The city is just a short drive away or alternatively as we did use the park and ride that has regular buses running every few minutes.
The hotel spa is a great place to relax,the only downside is you have to walk outside to access the facilities ( it was snowing so not great ) but it was very clean and the facilities were of a high standard.Treatment prices I found to be a little pricey so sadly didn't get to have the relaxing massage I was hoping to treat myself to :(
Our room was spacious,comfortable and clean.
Breakfast was good with a large choice of menu and were able to take time to enjoy our food and were not rushed out dead on 10am (as we have been in other large hotels)
The restaurant staff were polite and helpful especially Michael a young waiter, he was very informative and was extremely helpful in guiding us through the dinner menu.
The food was good but not outstanding and the Brasserie setting was a little disappointing resembling a cheap cafe,not in character with the grandeur of the exterior of the hotel. :( This hotel has lovely old rooms filled with character and charm and beautiful grounds to match.Why they are not used to make a wonderful dining experience I will never know??
Jennifer the hotel receptionist we found to be extremely helpful and polite,she was informative and went out of her way to answer all of our questions.
We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again very soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts on Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will look forward to visiting again soon. It is indeed true to say that one has to walk outside to access our Spa but it is only a very short distance from the nearest exit from the main building. I was disappointed that you found our treatment prices to be a little pricey. We do carry out regular competitor analysis to ensure that our pricing structure is commensurate with the quality that is offered. Thank you for your lovely comments concerning Jennifer and Michael. I will ensure that they are aware of your review. I note your comments regarding our Brasserie. We do have two restaurants available to our guests. The Brasserie serves traditional and more simple menu items than our 3 Rosette Restaurant Ushers. I do hope on your next visit you may be able to dine in Ushers. Thank you again for posting a review on Tripadvisor and I hope that we will see you back at Norton House in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I will always be grateful to the impeccable service we received from Norton House on our wedding day. The staff treated each and every guest remarkably. All 70 guests commented on how valued and looked after they felt. The staff really do make your stay feel so special.

The food was incredible and caters for many needs. You will not be disappointed with the delicious food on offer.

Norton House played a vital role in delivering what was the most important day of our lives.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering enquiring their services.

Dear Leah

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a lovely review of Norton House Hotel and Spa after your wedding here. I am delighted that you had such a great day and I do hope you are enjoying married life. From us all at Norton House, we wish you and Jack a very long and happy marriage and we hope to see you back at Norton House in the future.

Whitley Bay, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed for one night break. Lovely hotel, with a very relaxing atmosphere. Evening meal in the Bistro was excellent, as was breakfast. Spa great, although not much space in the changing rooms or rooms to change, or any free lockers.... First spa hotel I've been to where children were allowed, but did not notice them too much! (Would bring my own back here, as they would love it!). Had the best massage ever - then left for some shopping in Edinburgh, which is not too far, feeling very relaxed -will definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I am very grateful to you for posting a review following your recent stay. It is fantastic that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and that you had a great relaxing time. We do allow children access to our swimming pool as well has having adult only times to ensure families and Spa guests are all looked after. Thank you again for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the not too distant future.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for work and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

I was allocated a room at the end of a corridor, and loved the toy cat on the bed that you could put outside your room to say you did not want to be distrubed. I heard some aircraft noise with it being in close proximity to the airport but nothing that stopped me getting a good night's sleep.

I found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly.

I did get a taxi to the hotel from Edinburgh Wavereley train station and it did take around 30 minutes, with a fare between £22-£27.

I had an enjoyable breakfast and enjoyed listening to the radio that was playing, rather than there being a deafening silence. We also had a working lunch in the Brasserie which was of a good standard.

Would recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review following your recent trip on business. I am delighted that you found all our staff to be helpful and friendly and pleased you enjoyed breakfast and your working lunch in the Brasserie. I appreciate you letting us know that you liked listening to the radio at breakfast; this has something we have done since the Brasserie opened and has proven to be very popular with our guests. Thank you again for your kind feedback and for recommending us to future guests.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel before moving to one closer to the city. This gave us a relaxing start to our mini break after a long journey. The spa pool was just the right temperature although the downside is that you have to walk outside of the hotel to reach that facility. Not so good on a cold winter's day. The receptionist at the spa helpfully lent us £1 for the lockers as we only took the room card with us.
Main hotel reception staff were also helpful, making check in and out a speedy process. Other guests had taxi requirements and I noted these were met very speedily. Our room was comfortable and clean with a newly refurbished bathroom. I thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a treat. As spa treatments were fully booked I was not able to have enjoy this facility so I would advise to book in advance of your stay.

Room Tip: Although we had a room with a refurbished bathroom the instructions for the shower settings were not...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you were looked after by the team and that you found the service levels at reception to be of a high standard. I agree with you that Norton House Hotel and Spa is great for anyone wanting a treat and I thank you for recommending us to other future guests. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights and used the spa and restaurant facilities both days we were there,first time in a spa for me though my wife is a seasoned spa user ! staff and facilities in the spa were excellent and thouroughly enjoyed the experience.The hotel staff were very helpful and allways had a smile and a hello or goodmorning,we ate in the brasserie both nights the food was good and the service excellent, breakfast was the usual fare and very good as well with plenty of choice for the healthly eater and the not so healthy eater !!. We stayed in an executive room which was roomy and comfortable,the room did have a balcony but it was a bit nippy to enjoy it,bathroom was spacious and good shower with the novelty TV in the tiles at the end of the bath,all in all a very enjoyable and relaxing two days

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor regarding your recent visit to Norton House. I am delighted that you had an excellent break and that you were able to use the facilities in our spa and enjoyed the experience. I am pleased that you found all the staff helpful and the service received was excellent throughout your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!