“Tea for two” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Tea for two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Having just had afternoon tea at this hotel cost is 18.50pp I cant recommend it high enough. Lady was very attentive the range of loose teas on offer or coffee was very good, you get a little timer telling you when it is ready for drinking, plus a range of sandwiches scones and little cakes was very good. This can be obtained from 10.00 throughout the day but if you wanted something hot they have a menu called elevenses, but can also be gotten through out the day for 15.50pp and this includes some soup, sausage rolls, bagels plus tea orcoffee.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit for afternoon tea. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience and that you found the staff attentive and the quality of food good. You are correct in saying afternoon tea can be enjoyed at any time of the day and we do have a very popular elevenses menu served in our lounges. Thank you again for your great feedback and for recommending us to future guests.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Waterlooville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and used the spa and restaurant facilities whilst here. I was extremely pleased with every aspect of this hotel and the customer service thought all departments was refreshing in today's climate. Thank you to all who made our stay faultless.

Yes the restaurant is pricey, but the food was outstanding and I did not feel we had been over charged for the quality.

I can be quite critical but I am simply astounded at ow good this place is and would thoroughly recommend to anyone thinking of staying here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
What a lovely review thank you. I am delighted that you found our hotel faultless and that you were pleased with all aspects of your stay. Attentive natural service is something we aspire to and the team will be delighted to know that after reading your review they achieved that goal. It is very much appreciated that you recommend us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just back from a mid week stay at Norton House. We upgraded to a junior suite and on entering were very pleased with the decor and furnishings. We had a lovely bathroom downstairs with tile tv, a really large tv in the bedroom and upstairs in the sitting room yet another tv! The wet room upstairs was lovely with plenty space for two. My only slight criticism was the dust, our suite could have benefitted from a quick once over with a duster. We dined there on our first evening and were surprised with champagne and canopies. The food was excellent, absolutely no complaints. Breakfast was OK - not the standard of the night before and portions were a bit meagre. I ordered the poached haddock and it must have been the littlest haddock ever caught - more sardine size! The spa facilities are very good although the changing rooms were very hairy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review following your recent mid week stay. I am delighted you had a relaxing break and that you liked your room. It is great that you enjoyed your dinner and that you were able to indulge in some champagne before your meal. I take on board your comments in regard to Housekeeping and portion sizes at breakfast and will relay this to the relevant departments to address with their teams. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ordered a Bordeaux 2000 for dinner, a modest wine at an immodest price of 44 pounds. The waitress brought it to the table and tried to open it without taking the capsule off. Result? A broken cork and a waste of the hotel's 44 quid inventory. No interest in the customers in front of her, a sense we had to hurry to order and no sense of enjoyment. Shame, the food wasn't bad, if formulaic. She just didn't care, didn't smile once and she seemed to harbour a sense of resentment.

Breakfast in the morning, same thing. 'Pancakes with maple syrup'? Not so. Pancakes yes, maple syrup? Nah. I'm from an an American family, I should know. Coffee? No thought to water temperature. Decent coffee burnt by lack of care. Croissants? If there was a molecule of butter in those limp rags I'd be amazed. Freshly squeezed orange juice? All orange juice is fresh at the time of squeezing but that was squeezed a long, long time ago.

There was one word to describe the service: lazy. But inaccurate information, disinterested and perfunctory would do as well.

Room Tip: Make sure the room doesn't back onto the car park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel & Spa. I was disappointed that your experiences were not to our usual high standards and I apologise for this. I have spoken to the Food and Beverage Manager who will address these issues with his team. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback; it is with points such as these that we can continue to improve the hotels standards.
andythom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have just come back from a night away at Norton House and felt compelled to write a review (which I have never done for any hotel on any website).

I booked it as a surprised from my wife for our 1 year anniversary. Booked a deluxe room and when we arrived we had been upgraded to a junior suite. The room was amazing!

We had dinner in the Brassiere, the food is amazing. I had the chorizo salad, haddock and chips and sticky toffee pudding. It couldnt have been nicer. The breakfast was just as good. The service for both dinner and breakfast was outstanding.

We used the spa twice. It is one of the nicest pool areas I have been too and I have been to many 4/5 star hotels. The hydropool is awesome.

I cant wait to go again!

If you have any doubts about going, put those aside. The hotel is excellent and I recommend anyone to go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
What a super review you have posted on Trip advisor. I am delighted you had such a lovely time and that you chose us to celebrate your first wedding anniversary. I was pleased we were able to upgrade you to a junior suite and it is great to see that you found it amazing. Thank you for your kind comments about all aspects of your stay and for recommending us to future guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived at norton house for a wedding and was overwhelmed. Then things went slighty downhill from there, hair in my dinner ( although was offered a new dinner I was strangley no longer hungry)
A hairy sponge left in my bathroom from housekeeping which I can say also put me off using the sides in my bathroom and the thought of it being used elsenwhere! The tilevision wasnt working properly, breakfast was warm, tea was luke warm, for a 4* hotel and paying over £150 a nite id expect a faultless stay.

Room Tip: There were 5 people in our party 2adults 3 children age 3, 6, 8 and we were allocated the executive...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at Norton House Hotel. I was pleased that you found our location stunning and the allocated executive room was a good size for all the family. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced, these have been discussed with the relevant members of the team and action has been put in place to prevent a re-occurrence.
perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have visited the spa, which is part of this hotel and never been disappointed. The whole atmosphere of the spa forces you to relax and chill out. We decided this time around rather than just going to the spa for the day we would stay overnight in the hotel as well. We were on a dinner bed and breakfast rate. I am glad we did it that way around as otherwise the good of the relaxing spa would have disappeared very quickly going on the prices on food and drink in the hotel. The lunch in the spa cafe is always good and usually not too bad price wise, but this time around it cost us nearly £40 for a burger and wedges each, a soft drink and a cup of tea. However, we were treating ourselves so didn't mind too much. The rooms in the hotel are nice, but a bit on the small side. The one strange idea, which I can see that the hotel are just trying to be a bit different and quirky, but to have a toy cat that you put outside your door as your do not disturb sign and then to state that if it goes missing you have to fork out for a replacement is flawed for a start. We went out in the morning and ours was gone. My husband reported this to reception on check out and said that we would not be paying for it as we had heard kids running about the corridors earlier and as kids would naturally do, they probably had picked it up to play with it. The food in the brasserie for evening meal is really nice, but pricey as are the drinks. The cheapest bottle of wine is over £20 and it is not a very out of the ordinary one. The atmosphere in the brasserie is not great for a romantic meal, we found it to be quite the opposite. I know it states in the brochure that it is a more relaxed atmosphere, but I really don't want to be quite so close to other tables that I can hear their conversations or that my husband has to keep asking me what I have said cos he can't hear me.
However, I cannot fault the service of the staff in the evening, they were very attentive and friendly.
As we were there to relax, we were looking forward to a bit of a lie in, in the morning, however, this was not the case, the cleaning staff were walking up and down the corridor shouting to each other and laughing without much consideration for guests who might still be trying to sleep.
Breakfast was very disappointing, service was slow, you even have to order your fruit juice, you just can't help yourself to it from the buffet. We ordered our fruit juice and hot drinks and were told to help ourselves to the continental buffet and somebody would bring our drinks and take our order for hot food. The buffet had very little choice, I have gone to hotels where I have paid less for DBB and they have had a much wider choice of items available. We returned to our table and by the time we had eaten what we had from the buffet table, our drinks had still not arrived and nobody had taken our order for hot food. There seemed to be plenty of staff on at that point and not many guests down for breakfast. Eventually our order was taken and when it came they had forgotten the maple syrup to go with my bacon and pancakes, which again took a while to return with it. My husband had ordered the full cooked breakfast and he found it extremely greasy.
On checking out, my husband related all of this to the receptionist, who he said hardly even acknowledged him, and mumbled something about writing it down and would let people know.
I have to say I was quite surprised at the contrast between the way we were treated in the hotel to that of the spa, I think the hotel staff could learn a lot from the spa staff. We were very disappointed that the two did not match. I certainly do not think the prices of the hotel match the service and facilities provided.
We will definitely return for a spa day, but would not stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay in February. I was pleased to read your comments regarding our Spa and the service you received at dinner in the brasserie. I was very disappointed to learn of the problems you experienced at breakfast and I sincerely apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion. I do appreciate all your constructive comments as it is with feedback such as this that we can continually monitor our services to our guests.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!