“Very nice hotel but could be excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #35 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kelso, Scotland
“Very nice hotel but could be excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent a night here on a dinner B&B deal. Have eaten here before and previously stayed once, before the hotel was expanded. The hotel is impressive and has great facilities. We had an executive room in the new wing and it was large, had its own balcony and was very well equipped. The only slight downside, perhaps because of the wind direction on the day we were there, and the way the room faced (west), is that the noise of planes landing and taking off from Edinburgh airport was quite noticable early morning. Food at dinner was very excellent and served efficiently (notwithstanding the strange design of the cutlery!). The usual complaint of outrageously over-priced wine did however apply. Breakfast on the other hand was disappointing. Some items for the vegetarian breakfast were not available and what we had was luke warm and served on cold plates. In the light of day, the cleanliness of the dining room floor was also disappointing for a hotel of this standard. Overall, we still enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you decided to make a return visit and that you enjoyed your stay and our great facilities. I take on board your constructive feedback and this has been discussed with the relevant members of the team. I am pleased that you recommend us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel in the near future.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Norton house brasserie is a beautiful room with a very disappointing dining experience. My smoked salmon starter had been terrorised by the portion control police with three minute and I mean really tiny strips of smoked salmon and the main course of ox cheeks was decidedly average with a badly seasoned sauce.

My wife's meal was a disaster. Her starter of goats cheese was served with accompaniments that were far too sweet and overwhelmed the cheese. Her main course of caramelised onion tart was far too sweet and was in a terribly soggy pastry that the chef could not fail to be aware of before it left the kitchen. It was so bad it was falling apart. It was also served with mid sized whole cooked carrots that were totally out of place with the dish and made an already embarrassing presentation look ridiculous.

We have eaten here before for Sunday lunch and that was pretty dire too, mostly due to very slow service.

Either way I'd think twice before eating here and do watch for the very expensive wine! A couple of glasses of house wine at 12.50 for a large glass and £9.50 for regular.

There are plenty of places in Edinburgh to eat with much better food and at a fair price.

• Stayed February 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your visit to our restaurant. To receive such negative feedback regarding the food in the Brasserie is extremely rare and goes against the many positive reviews on Trip advisor and the many compliments received from our guests at the hotel. I have asked the Brasserie team of chefs to review the dishes you had on the evening and apologise that they were not to your satisfaction.The wine selection is researched extensively and the prices do vary. Wine by the glass range from £4.00 for a 125ml glass and £8.00 for a 250ml, not the prices you say in your review; however if a better quality wine is selected then prices will rise accordingly. I do believe that all our pricing is competitive against similar quality of establishments locally, as we constantly monitor our competitors to ensure that our prices are fair and I am confident that this is the case now.
Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
oswestry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had booked this hotel as a surprise for my wifes birthday, and also as a mini honeymoon (we had to cancel our original honeymoon after the mother in law was seriously ill a few days after the wedding) and after a 5 hour drive, we were looking forward to getting into our room.
Our first impressions on seeing the hotel were......wow! this continued as we walked into the reception area. The receptionist was warm and friendly and told us we would be staying in the 'Balerno' room. Our cases were taken to the room for us by Tom? Anyway, he showed us to the room and showed us how the tv and lights worked etc. It was only when we looked round the room we realised we had been upgraded to a suite which was a wonderful surprise. The room was over two floors, with two bathrooms and a seperate lounge/seating area with tv, there was also a tv at the end of the huge bed, AND a tv at the end of the bath.
We had a quick shower (the upstairs shower was massive with both a shower head and body jets, and went for a drink in the bar. The staff here were efficient and polite and were able to keep tabs on whatever you ordered and simply booked it to the room if thats what you wanted.
Our first nights dining was in the Brasserie restaraunt, and we really could not fault the food at all, it really was fantastic, well presented and exactly as described on the menu. We retired to our room feeling truly stuffed (and a little tipsy from the excellent red wine!)
The next day we had booked some treatments in the spa, and i have to say the massage i had from Rose was fantastic. We used the pool and the sauna too and must have spent around 5 hours there in total, it really was that relaxing.
Our second night we dined in Ushers restaraunt and we thought the hotel would be hard pressed to beat the food from our first night. How wrong we were! It is labelled as a fine dining experience, and that is truly what we got. The staff knew exactly how the food had been cooked, and each course was described to us as it was brought to our table. We were totally blown away by its quality and by the service from the staff.
I have to admit, it wasnt the cheapest two night stay ive had, but i believe quality and service are worth paying for so it was worth it.
I would recomend this hotel to anyone who wants a bit of luxury and fine food for a few days.
Our thanks must go to the management for the uprade to the suite, and all the staff were exellent.
The chefs deserve a special mention for the stunning food.

Would we go back?

Room Tip: if it is a special occasion, try emailing in advance. I did and was upgraded to the suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our future guests. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay in December and that you chose us to combine your mini honeymoon and wife’s birthday celebrations. It is great when there is an opportunity to upgrade guests for special occasions and I am pleased that this was possible for your stay. The Balerno Suite that you were allocated is one of our junior suites and is a popular choice for returning guests. It was fantastic that you were able to visit our Club & Spa during your stay and utilise both the Brasserie and Ushers Restaurants; your positive feedback regarding your experiences in these areas is much appreciated. I will ensure that the team at the hotel see your glowing review and I will speak to Tom, Rose and the Chefs personally for getting special recognition. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were highly disgusted by the 3 hour wait for our main meal on a special day (mothers day) it was not only the fact that we had to wait but also the fact we had to leave and also our children were getting bored and there were no aspects of entertainment for them to enjoy! We were also disgusted in the fact that nobody offered us a drink or asked if we were okay! Overall not pleased.

• Stayed March 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am deeply sorry that you feel we ruined your day. To receive negative feedback about our service and specifically regarding duration of meals is extremely rare, and I have since discussed Sunday lunch service with the restaurant management team on duty who were unaware of any problems that you have raised. If you could contact me on cmonks@handpicked.co.uk and provide me with your contact details, I will ensure one of our management team contacts you to discuss your experience.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Just returned home from a fantastic overnight at the Norton House hotel, I have to write this review to let people know how great our overnight was. From the moment we arrived the lovely receptionist Jennifer couldn't do enough to help us and give us all the information we needed to make our stay great, (Thank you) we had afternoon tea which our Mum's are still raving about how good it was, our evening meal was delicious and service fab & breakfast fab too, all the staff were very polite and helpful, spa was great and our executive rooms lovely (recommend executive rooms) will be making a trip back soon with my husband. Loved this hotel

Room Tip: Executive rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
What a great review thank you. I am thrilled that you had a fantastic time and were pleased with all aspects of your stay - especially the food and your executive rooms. It is great that you found all the team polite and helpful. Jennifer was very pleased that she got special praise in your review. I have thanked Jen personally for your feedback and she asked me to convey her thanks to you. I am delighted that you plan to make a trip back with your husband and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My Wife Marie and I enjoyed our stay at the Norton House Hotel. It is near to Edinburgh Airport and convenient to Edinburgh Centre. I was involved in a meeting all day Sturday so Marie took the opportunity to travel into the City to meet an old friend. The Hotel looked after us very well. We dined with our hostess on the Friday evening after lunching in the Hotel Brasserie and found the food and service very good. Saturday's working lunch in the Brasserie was very good and we dined out that evening. Breakfasts were very good but the serving arrangements were rather quaint not quite self-service as the cooked breakfasts were served when there was a waiter on duty at the heated area. Sunday's breakfast was a busy time and it took several reminders before our order of Toast was delivered. The other peculiarity were the forks in the restaurants which all tended to taper inwards (by design) and at times made for difficulty eating.
We did not make use of the Spa as it necessitated an outdoor walk from Hotel to that facility and the weather precluded such perambulation! The bedroom was very good as were the facilities and the Meeting Room and services were very good. In all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: As the Hotel handles a lot of business and wedding trade I would advise asking for a room where ther...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I am grateful for you taking the time to complete a review following your trip on business in February. I am delighted that you and your wife Marie had an enjoyable stay and that you found your bedroom and meeting room facilities to be very good. I am pleased that you were looked after in the brasserie during your stay and that you found the food offering to be very good. Sunday breakfasts are very busy in the restaurant but you should not have had to remind our team to deliver your toast. Please accept my apology that this was the case. Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at the Norton House Edinburgh for two nights 1st/2nd of March, Booking by Telephone to central reservations, extremely pleasant young Lady made our booking on the morning we were to travel so easy. Arriving at the Hotel around 15-00hrs to be greeted by polite and welcoming staff in the reception area, one young bubble young Lady then showed us to our room, chatting all the way with information about the Hotel. The room was large and spacious with a Patio garden area, Bath Robes etc in the bathroom, every where spotless clean and warm, delightful.
Following unpack visited the Spa, good sized pool, showers Sauna,Steam room not over crowded in any area, Girls at Spa reception most helpful.
Breakfast very good with plenty of choice and served hot by pleasant staff, in fact all the staff at the Hotel were of the highest quality smart and courteous not found in many places these days. So good Hotel, good sleep,good food, good staff, and not far from Park and ride into Edinburgh.
Will be back later in the year and thanks to all at Norton House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a fantastic review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Norton House. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found all our staff to be pleasant and courteous. I am delighted that you plan to return later in the year and on behalf of all the team at the hotel I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!