“Very Very Good” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Very Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at the Norton House Edinburgh for two nights 1st/2nd of March, Booking by Telephone to central reservations, extremely pleasant young Lady made our booking on the morning we were to travel so easy. Arriving at the Hotel around 15-00hrs to be greeted by polite and welcoming staff in the reception area, one young bubble young Lady then showed us to our room, chatting all the way with information about the Hotel. The room was large and spacious with a Patio garden area, Bath Robes etc in the bathroom, every where spotless clean and warm, delightful.
Following unpack visited the Spa, good sized pool, showers Sauna,Steam room not over crowded in any area, Girls at Spa reception most helpful.
Breakfast very good with plenty of choice and served hot by pleasant staff, in fact all the staff at the Hotel were of the highest quality smart and courteous not found in many places these days. So good Hotel, good sleep,good food, good staff, and not far from Park and ride into Edinburgh.
Will be back later in the year and thanks to all at Norton House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for posting a fantastic review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Norton House. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found all our staff to be pleasant and courteous. I am delighted that you plan to return later in the year and on behalf of all the team at the hotel I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and my husband booked in for one night at Norton hotel to get away from it all. We had a lovely relaxing weekend. We booked a standard room and it was gorgeous, The bed was massive and so soft. I dislike it when hotels where they give you stiff sheets - this was perfect. They even provide you will real milk for your tea/coffee! We were fortunate to get a quiet end room with a lovely view out the window. The spa was excellent and thoroughly recommend the hydro pool!
Now the food....the Brasserie restaurant has a pretty nice ambiance . The meal started very badly with the 'bread basket' bizarre - three tiny pieces of bread with lashings of olive oil. Not warm and we were pretty disappointed My husband ordered ox cheek and it was awesome. I ordered the caramelised onion tart and whilst the sides were lovely...the tart itself was honestly like a desert. The topping tasted the same as apple crumble. I mentioned this to the waitress and she admitted they'de had the same complaint about a previous tart on the menu. So a spot on meal and one that was a bit wrong! None the less presentation was lovely and the staff were very friendly without being fussy.
My husband travels to hotels frequently with work so he knows a lot about what makes a good continental breakfast. He was really let down! There was very little choice of fruits and pastries and I didn't see any yoghurts. I ordered the pancakes and maple syrup - they weren't anything amazing. I think they need to work on their pancake recipe so they are lovely and fresh tasting! I almost feel bad about writing this though because the staff at breakfast were all lovely and so helpful.
So our only reservations come down to the breakfast because evening meal was on the whole a very nice experience minor the things mentioned. The girl on the front desk showed us to our room and even took us right in and showed us around. My husband said this is the best welcome he had and was so impressed she even showed us around. She went to a great deal of effort to swap our complimentary wine from red to white when there was some reservation as to whether it was allowed.
All in all we would definitely come back but please can you take a look at your tart recipe/bread basket for and breakfast menu!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review following your overnight stay in February. I am delighted that you had a relaxing weekend and that you liked your room and enjoyed the spa. I do take on board your feedback regarding your dining experiences; these comments have been discussed with our Food & Beverage team who welcome all feedback as it helps them to constantly monitor and change service and food offerings to our guests. I am pleased that you found all the staff at breakfast lovely and helpful and especially pleasing is your husband’s comment that the welcome and rooming experience on arrival was the best he had received. It is great that you would come back to our hotel and I thank you again for your constructive review.

Dundee,Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel has lots going for it. Great setting, lovely rooms, good food, lovely spa. I might give it another try because it is so nice but there are plenty places like it. However, service at both our evening meal and at breakfast was pretty bad. Ou evening meal took ages to come and when it did arrive it was the main course with no starter. They then brought the starter with the main.This was a forgiveable oversight as it was the Valentine weekend and they were busy. BUT at the buffet breakfast there appeared to be no one charged with refilling items and I had to wait for yoghurt and then later for butter for quite some time while some one fetched them. I even saw the waitress go and do a couple of other jobs while I waited and I eventually had to remind her that I was in fact still waiting. So not so happy.

I had a massage at the spa where I quickly realised that hard meant unbearable so had to ask her to dial back on the firmness which she did but I still had a sore back for 4 days after. The facial was heavenly though.

I stupidly left my favourite necklace in a robe pocket. When I realised the next day I went to ask if they could look for it and left £10 as a token of thanks for looking through dozens of dirty robes. I was hopeful it might be found as I was told the cleaning company hadn't come to collect the robes yet. The girl was very nice and didn't want to accept the money and said someone would be in touch. I left all my details and heard nothing for a week. I phoned to be told that there was no sign and the robes had gone to the cleaners so they were looking and someone had tried to get in touch although I had no missed calls or messages. They said they couldn't accept the money and would return it to me. I have still not heard any more and it is now 10 days after I phoned them. So although it was totally my own fault for losing the necklace I feel that the spa staff gave me mixed messages and didn't follow through on what they said

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay in February. I was delighted that you enjoyed our food and that you found your room and the Spa lovely. I am sorry that you experienced some service issues during your visit; this feedback has been relayed to our Food and Beverage Manager and Spa Manager to address with their teams. Please accept my apologies for the confusion over your missing jewellery, we were unsuccessful in trying to locate your necklace and I believe the delay was caused as a result of calls being made to the cleaning company to see if the necklace was found there. There was never any intention of giving you mixed messages but I do understand your frustration in the delay getting back to you. Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. We had a room in the old part of the hotel. The room was nice and very clean, with a view over the surrounding park. The breakfast was good. The spa facilities are also very nice, and the short walk over was not a problem for us. The staff was always friendly. All together a very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent break at our hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments and I will ensure that this feedback is passed to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the very near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Enjoyed a very peaceful day with friends here on 23/02/2013, which was a very nice change from the last time I visited, as it was very busy and not really enjoyable. However, this time it was much better.

The staff were pleasant and not bothering you all the time. They explained what was available and where things were and left you to get on with it in peace.

Only down side for me was the rather limited space in the changing rooms, but as you are there to use the facilities, its only a wee negative.

Would recommend this and will definitely go back again.

Cant comment on the value for money factor, as this was a freeebie!

Irene
Edinburgh

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I am grateful for you taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent day visit to our Club and Spa. I am pleased that you had a peaceful day and that you found the staff to be pleasant. Thank you for recommending our facilities to others and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very personable and high standard of service. We managed to get a special offer so it was even better value. Somewhat out of Edinburgh but great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. Good spa facilities so save enough. time to make use of these.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others and some have a balcony but all seem to we'll sound proofed!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you were looked after by the team and that you found the service levels to be of a high standard. I agree with you that Norton House is great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just had to comment on the great night we had recently at the Gourmet Evening. Have reviewed this under Ushers Restaurant, but the icing on the cake was the fantastic offer of a much reduced room rate for bed and breakfast (for 2) which made the event one we could not pass up. Looking forward to being tempted again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. I am delighted that you had a great night at our Gourmet evening and I also appreciate you giving superb feedback on our Ushers Restaurant page. I have spoken personally to Greg and Sandor who have read your kind words and they send their appreciation. You will be pleased to know that we plan to run another Food and Wine Evening in May and this will be advertised on our website very soon.

Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!