“REASONABLY QUIET :-)” 4 of 5 stars

Classic two night break
Ranked #34 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
“REASONABLY QUIET :-)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Enjoyed a very peaceful day with friends here on 23/02/2013, which was a very nice change from the last time I visited, as it was very busy and not really enjoyable. However, this time it was much better.

The staff were pleasant and not bothering you all the time. They explained what was available and where things were and left you to get on with it in peace.

Only down side for me was the rather limited space in the changing rooms, but as you are there to use the facilities, its only a wee negative.

Would recommend this and will definitely go back again.

Cant comment on the value for money factor, as this was a freeebie!

Irene
Edinburgh

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I am grateful for you taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent day visit to our Club and Spa. I am pleased that you had a peaceful day and that you found the staff to be pleasant. Thank you for recommending our facilities to others and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very personable and high standard of service. We managed to get a special offer so it was even better value. Somewhat out of Edinburgh but great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. Good spa facilities so save enough. time to make use of these.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others and some have a balcony but all seem to we'll sound proofed!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you were looked after by the team and that you found the service levels to be of a high standard. I agree with you that Norton House is great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just had to comment on the great night we had recently at the Gourmet Evening. Have reviewed this under Ushers Restaurant, but the icing on the cake was the fantastic offer of a much reduced room rate for bed and breakfast (for 2) which made the event one we could not pass up. Looking forward to being tempted again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. I am delighted that you had a great night at our Gourmet evening and I also appreciate you giving superb feedback on our Ushers Restaurant page. I have spoken personally to Greg and Sandor who have read your kind words and they send their appreciation. You will be pleased to know that we plan to run another Food and Wine Evening in May and this will be advertised on our website very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a lovely relaxing spa day at Norton house with my friend last week, the service from everyone in the spa is excellent.
The minute you arrive in the Spa you are looked after so well. All of the ladies make you feel really welcome and relaxed. Kate in reception was really helpful!
When you are there you dont feel like you are just 20 mins away from Edinburgh City, you feel like you are miles away from anywhere.
Keep saying I need to do this more often.. I promise I will!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your relaxing spa day last week. I was pleased to note that all the team made you feel welcome and relaxed and that you found the service from everyone excellent. Thank you for highlighting Kate on reception for being really helpful,she will be delighted when she reads your feedback. It is great that you promise to return and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the very near future.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Travelled up to the hotel for a conference and we had the whole hotel booked out. Location wise it is a £20 taxi to Edinburgh Waverley but location wasn’t priority in this case as for 2 nights we were on business and it was all about working and networking within the grounds of the hotel.

I arrived with 2 of my colleagues who I had travelled with and was greeted by the doorman and subsequently the member of staff at check-in. The whole process was completed with ease and it helped that we were the only company staying there so all the paperwork and payment had been sorted out beforehand. The building was everything that I loved about Scotland and architecture in general. Limestone bricks, a classic interior with modern fittings that went together well, modern annex buildings that worked well with the original building and beautiful grounds.

I have stayed in a number of hotels in relatively short time on this planet from hostels that don’t warrant a start to beautiful hotels like the Norton. This was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Due to the amount of people staying there was a few of us who had been allocated junior suites and I was one of the lucky souls who had the pleasure of staying in one. The bed was huge but did not overpower the room as that too was a great size. All of the in-room facilities were perfect from the TV setup to the tea and coffee making area. The bathroom deserves to be talked about all by itself as it was incredible. The lighting was perfect, looked like it had been newly fitted out with separate double shower and bath facilities and also a full media centre including speakers in the ceiling to listen to the radio and a TV set at the end of the bathtub. The only downside was they didn’t provide any bubble bath (hint to management).

After making full use of the room and getting changed I decided I had enough fun in the room and went to meet my colleagues for the organised meal. The food was a set menu and 3 courses and I enjoyed every minute of it. So far I was well impressed by the first night and I went to put my complimentary robe and slippers on and enjoyed half an hour of TV before getting a great night’s sleep.

After an uninterrupted 8 hours sleep I was fresh and ready to go to the gym before starting my working day. I walked over to the leisure building and was well impressed by the gym facilities the hotel had to offer. I have used hotel gyms a lot with travelling quite a bit for work and I always leave disappointed but this place was different. Well equipped and a good size with weights that are actually worth lifting.

After a great start to the day in the gym it was then time to start the working day by meeting my colleagues for breakfast. What better way to waste an hour of exercise by enjoying a full Scottish breakfast? The breakfast was incredible and every time I visit Scotland I can’t help but eat Haggis and this occasion was no different. As per the previous meal the service and food quality was to the highest standard.

We probably had the largest conference facilities available on site and for the full 2 days that we spent in the conference suites we never had a problem and the whole organisation was flawless. Both buffet style lunches were also to the same standard as the rest of the stay which I won’t describe as already you probably think I have a stake in the hotel business with this glowing review. We also had a semi-formal dinner on our last night which was also catered to a high standard and everyone enjoyed it with the help of the readily available beverages.

Overall I would highly recommend a stay here if you are a business looking to have a conference and want to keep everyone on site as there is no need to leave. If you are travelling as a family or take the Mrs you may want to go to Edinburgh and factor in the £20 each way taxi when you are planning but it’s worth it to stay here.

Room Tip: If you can, get a suite. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your fantastic feedback following your business trip in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you were so well looked after by the team. Reviews such as yours are invaluable for prospective future guests so I really do appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Third time in 3 months for short break and just when you think it can't get any better this hotel and its staff somehow manage to. Set in lovely grounds, its hard to believe you're only minutes from Edinburgh Airport. So easy to get to by car from east or west. Can't comment on other forms of transport as haven't used them. First time I was in a standard room and was impressed with what was offered, 2nd time in an executive room which was, as expected, a step up in luxury and this time I was upgraded free of charge and without asking to a junior suite was just fabulous. I would have no hesitation however to book a standard room in future. Small things like having a small carton of real milk in your fridge (yes you have a fridge (not a mini bar) for personal use) make such a difference. Staff are lovely and very attentive and friendly. Dining is a pleasant experience and the food is good with plenty of choice and breakfast caters for all needs from full Scottish cooked to fresh fruit and cereal. Wine is a little on the expensive side although good enough quality wise but you when you stay in a hotel you pay hotel prices! The spa and pool is brilliant and I believe the treatments you can book are really good (my wife has had a few and loved them). Can be busy so if you fancy having a treatment book well in advance or you may be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you continue to choose Norton House and that you find our team lovely attentive and friendly. It is great that you like our dining options and that you enjoy the Spa and pool. You are right in saying that the spa can get busy so booking treatments in advance will avoid disappointment. Thank you again for your kind feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Prestwick, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay at Norton House and had a great time very relaxing. Spa was wonderful and very clean, Standard room was very clean and quiet. Dined both nights in the Brasserie and the food was outstanding. Bit of a walk to the Spa (wouldn't be great in the rain) but once there it was well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very grateful to you for posting a review following your recent two night stay. It is fantastic that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and that you had a great relaxing time. Thank you again for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the not too distant future.

Chris Monks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Marriott Edinburgh
The Dunstane Hotel
The Dunstane Hotel
#16 of 146 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 stars 860 reviews

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!