“Fantastic spa day!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic spa day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a lovely relaxing spa day at Norton house with my friend last week, the service from everyone in the spa is excellent.
The minute you arrive in the Spa you are looked after so well. All of the ladies make you feel really welcome and relaxed. Kate in reception was really helpful!
When you are there you dont feel like you are just 20 mins away from Edinburgh City, you feel like you are miles away from anywhere.
Keep saying I need to do this more often.. I promise I will!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your relaxing spa day last week. I was pleased to note that all the team made you feel welcome and relaxed and that you found the service from everyone excellent. Thank you for highlighting Kate on reception for being really helpful,she will be delighted when she reads your feedback. It is great that you promise to return and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the very near future.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Travelled up to the hotel for a conference and we had the whole hotel booked out. Location wise it is a £20 taxi to Edinburgh Waverley but location wasn’t priority in this case as for 2 nights we were on business and it was all about working and networking within the grounds of the hotel.

I arrived with 2 of my colleagues who I had travelled with and was greeted by the doorman and subsequently the member of staff at check-in. The whole process was completed with ease and it helped that we were the only company staying there so all the paperwork and payment had been sorted out beforehand. The building was everything that I loved about Scotland and architecture in general. Limestone bricks, a classic interior with modern fittings that went together well, modern annex buildings that worked well with the original building and beautiful grounds.

I have stayed in a number of hotels in relatively short time on this planet from hostels that don’t warrant a start to beautiful hotels like the Norton. This was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Due to the amount of people staying there was a few of us who had been allocated junior suites and I was one of the lucky souls who had the pleasure of staying in one. The bed was huge but did not overpower the room as that too was a great size. All of the in-room facilities were perfect from the TV setup to the tea and coffee making area. The bathroom deserves to be talked about all by itself as it was incredible. The lighting was perfect, looked like it had been newly fitted out with separate double shower and bath facilities and also a full media centre including speakers in the ceiling to listen to the radio and a TV set at the end of the bathtub. The only downside was they didn’t provide any bubble bath (hint to management).

After making full use of the room and getting changed I decided I had enough fun in the room and went to meet my colleagues for the organised meal. The food was a set menu and 3 courses and I enjoyed every minute of it. So far I was well impressed by the first night and I went to put my complimentary robe and slippers on and enjoyed half an hour of TV before getting a great night’s sleep.

After an uninterrupted 8 hours sleep I was fresh and ready to go to the gym before starting my working day. I walked over to the leisure building and was well impressed by the gym facilities the hotel had to offer. I have used hotel gyms a lot with travelling quite a bit for work and I always leave disappointed but this place was different. Well equipped and a good size with weights that are actually worth lifting.

After a great start to the day in the gym it was then time to start the working day by meeting my colleagues for breakfast. What better way to waste an hour of exercise by enjoying a full Scottish breakfast? The breakfast was incredible and every time I visit Scotland I can’t help but eat Haggis and this occasion was no different. As per the previous meal the service and food quality was to the highest standard.

We probably had the largest conference facilities available on site and for the full 2 days that we spent in the conference suites we never had a problem and the whole organisation was flawless. Both buffet style lunches were also to the same standard as the rest of the stay which I won’t describe as already you probably think I have a stake in the hotel business with this glowing review. We also had a semi-formal dinner on our last night which was also catered to a high standard and everyone enjoyed it with the help of the readily available beverages.

Overall I would highly recommend a stay here if you are a business looking to have a conference and want to keep everyone on site as there is no need to leave. If you are travelling as a family or take the Mrs you may want to go to Edinburgh and factor in the £20 each way taxi when you are planning but it’s worth it to stay here.

Room Tip: If you can, get a suite. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your fantastic feedback following your business trip in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you were so well looked after by the team. Reviews such as yours are invaluable for prospective future guests so I really do appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Third time in 3 months for short break and just when you think it can't get any better this hotel and its staff somehow manage to. Set in lovely grounds, its hard to believe you're only minutes from Edinburgh Airport. So easy to get to by car from east or west. Can't comment on other forms of transport as haven't used them. First time I was in a standard room and was impressed with what was offered, 2nd time in an executive room which was, as expected, a step up in luxury and this time I was upgraded free of charge and without asking to a junior suite was just fabulous. I would have no hesitation however to book a standard room in future. Small things like having a small carton of real milk in your fridge (yes you have a fridge (not a mini bar) for personal use) make such a difference. Staff are lovely and very attentive and friendly. Dining is a pleasant experience and the food is good with plenty of choice and breakfast caters for all needs from full Scottish cooked to fresh fruit and cereal. Wine is a little on the expensive side although good enough quality wise but you when you stay in a hotel you pay hotel prices! The spa and pool is brilliant and I believe the treatments you can book are really good (my wife has had a few and loved them). Can be busy so if you fancy having a treatment book well in advance or you may be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you continue to choose Norton House and that you find our team lovely attentive and friendly. It is great that you like our dining options and that you enjoy the Spa and pool. You are right in saying that the spa can get busy so booking treatments in advance will avoid disappointment. Thank you again for your kind feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Prestwick, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay at Norton House and had a great time very relaxing. Spa was wonderful and very clean, Standard room was very clean and quiet. Dined both nights in the Brasserie and the food was outstanding. Bit of a walk to the Spa (wouldn't be great in the rain) but once there it was well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very grateful to you for posting a review following your recent two night stay. It is fantastic that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and that you had a great relaxing time. Thank you again for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the not too distant future.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a spa day and spent a night for valentines. The room was modern and fairly big. The room was clean and had good amenities. We had the valentines set meal and the food and restaurant surroundings were nice and reasonably priced. The service for drinks was fairly slow and the bar area was quite small and quiet, no music and we went to the room fairly early as not much to hang around for. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

The best thing about this hotel was the spa. It was very luxurious and had great amenities. The staff were all lovely and made me feel really special. The treatments were great and very relaxing.

If you want a quiet and relaxing weekend in nice surroundings this is perfect.

• Stayed February 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I really do appreciate the time you have taken to feedback your comments following your recent stay to celebrate Valentines at our hotel. It is pleasing to read that you found your room to be modern, clean and spacious and that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and your treatments in the spa. I note your comments regarding bar service and will discuss this with our Food & Beverage team. Background music is always playing in the bar and brasserie so please let me apologise that it was not audible in the bar on this occasion. I am delighted that you found all the staff friendly and helpful and that our team in the Spa made you feel really special. Thank you again for your constructive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked this for our first anniversary. Arrived at the hotel and given a warm welcome by the girls on the desk. The girls directed us to our room but the directions led us to the bottom floor....word of warning this place is a maze....the modern end of the hotel is connected via various lifts and stairs.....very confusing if you are in one of the rooms at the bottom! Eventually we got to our room...very clean and bright. Tv in the bathroom but bath very small didn't really see the point?! We also had a balcony...nice in summer to sit out but unfortunately it was February! After dropping off our bags we headed down to the spa, book treatments in advance as they book up very quickly! Spa was beautiful, recently refurbished. The food and service in the restaurant was our highlight.....as it was valentines we could pick between 2 menus, both gorgeous and something to suit everyone. One more thing to remember....the hotel Isn't far from Edinburgh airport, depending on what room you are in you might hear airlines in the middle of the night...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Norton House Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read that your room was clean and bright and that you found our Spa beautiful. The executive room that you stayed in does have a television in the bathroom and a balcony to which we get lots of positive feedback, however I do take on board that it was not summer and therefore the balcony was not utilised. It was great that the food and service in the restaurant were the highlight of your stay and I appreciate your comments that there was something for everyone on the menus. Thank you again for your feedback.

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I spent a lot of time reading reviews to find a beautiful hotel(that was affordable but still special) for our annual weekend away from the three little monkeys at home! To be honest, I went with norton house and spa because it seemed nice enough and I booked through secret escapes for a great price! I am so glad I did!! And I will choose it again!! The hotel has easy access to Edinburgh, but you still feel remote and away from the hustle and bustle of the city! We were charmed by the staff and the beautiful foyer. My husband was cheeky and asked for an upgraded room and we were offered the kingdom suit for a very reasonable price. The room was a fabulous size, with a huge roll top bath and a tv...along with a good size shower! We had a large wrap around porch with beautiful views! I did get a look at one of the classic rooms, which we originally booked, and it was very nice aswell and not too small. The room and hotel are very nicely decorated, however, the furniture and walls have seen better days...nothing I would complain about but you won't feel like everything is brand new. Again, the staff is so lovely and accommodating. We were given a late check out aswell since we arrived late Friday night and there was no one in our room for Sunday night. The food was delicious! I loved the goats cheese mouse salad!! And the breakfast that was included was perfect...I have never had a better hot chocolate! The pool and spa were a wonderful treat, too. A bit busy Sunday, but we really enjoyed it Saturday night after a long day out in Edinburgh and before dinner!! We would like to go back and bring the kids with us next time!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Norton House. I am delighted that you had a lovely weekend, and that you found the staff Wonderful and the food delicious. The kingdom suite is a fantastic room and has become a popular choice for guests when upgrades are available. As part of our ongoing refurbishment programme there are plans to replace carpets and re upholster furniture in our lounges later in the year. I am pleased that you would like to come back and visit us and it is great that you plan to bring the children next time. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.
Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!