“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
Winsford, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked a spa day and an evening meal in the Brasserie to celebrate my mother's 60th Birthday.
We started by arriving just after lunch for our 'elevenses spa day for two' - despite our late arrival (I had a long journey to get there) the staff were warm and welcoming and very quickly made us feel very at ease.
When our food came, the 'elevenses', we were very impressed. Just the right amount of food and the soup was delicious!
Next it was my massage, which was great, very relaxing and also Jade was very helpful with suggestions for aftercare. The spa facilities are excellent, and the experience shower was certainly that!
We left the spa relaxed and refreshed and headed across to the hotel. We had originally booked a classic room for my parents to stay overnight, but my dad was offered an upgrade to the Kingdom Suite upon his arrival, I think this made their evening that bit more special! The suite is fantastic, the free standing bath is something you would expect to see in a boutique hotel! Very impressed!
The meal was wonderful, one of our guests is fairly handicapped, the staff were so accommodating in giving us enough space. The food was fantastic, other than my two year old I'm pretty sure we all cleared out plates! Staff were attentive without being intrusive- and we all left happy and full!

Overall, a fantastic hotel, lovely rooms and feast facilities. But what makes it stand out is the brilliant attitude of every single staff member we encountered. Thank you for a wonderful evening!

• Stayed January 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review on trip advisor following your recent stay to celebrate your mothers 60th birthday. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that you highlighted so many positive aspects of your experience. In particular the comments about the staff are most appreciated, the team take great pride in offering attentive service and I am sure they will be very proud when they read this review. Thank you again for such great feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Fully recommend the Norton House Hotel &Spa in Edinburgh. Some of the best spa facilities I have experienced with excellent pool and jacuzzi. Both larger than most other 4/5 star hotels I have visited with some nice extras such as experience showers ! There were 18 of us staying in 7 classic rooms and 2 executive rooms. All were excellent with the executive rooms worth the extra for the luxury and space. We had lunch which everyone enjoyed and great selection for breakfast. The main reason for the excellent rating was the service. From the welcome to Reception to the breakfast staff, everyone was extremely helpful and nothing was a problem. A really great weekend with every one of us leaving singing praises..

Room Tip: We had rooms in all areas and all were really good..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive review following your stay in January. I am delighted that you and your friends had a fantastic stay and that you all enjoyed the Spa facilities, rooms and food. I really do appreciate your kind words regarding the team here, I know that they will be very proud when they read your comments about the service you received and they will be genuinely delighted that they have been recognised for making your weekend so special.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night and had a lovely time. We had booked a special January deal with an upgrade to an executive room and a bottle of wine on arrival. The room was fantastic and well appointed (with a TV in the bathroom!) and the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We had breakfast delivered to our room for a very reasonable £3 surcharge and it arrived beautifully presented at the requested time.

We could not fault the hotel at all and will certainly return.

The hotel is located between Edinburgh airport and the city, which for some means a taxi will be required to arrive/leave. However, with this location you can enjoy the great countryside and you are only 20 minutes or so from the city centre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a positive review. I was pleased to read that you found all aspects of your stay to be excellent and that you will definitely return to the hotel. On behalf of all the team at Norton House may I thank you for your great feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We got married in the Garden Suite on 1st December 2012. The Norton were extremely organised and helpful. On the day itself everything went to plan perfectly. We then stayed on for an additional night. We got upgraded on our room for the Sunday night which was great. Every member of staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. From the staff in the spa to breakfast on our last morning. Everyone was polite, really friendly and went out their way to give good service. I stayed in an executive room the night prior to the wedding. Then we stayed in the Kingdom suite for two nights. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. Could not find anything to complain about!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review following your wedding in the Garden suite. I am delighted that your wedding ran perfectly and that you found our team to be organised and helpful. It was great to hear that you were upgraded to the Kingdom Suite, which is an ideal room to relax in the day after your wedding. Thank you for your comments about all our staff, I know they all read trip advisor and they will be pleased when they see your kind words. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, Scotland - UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed for 1 night as a birthday gift from my partner. On arrival it was evident that the hotel was full as we drove around the car park area 3 times and could not find a space. We had to bump up on the kerb along with other cars. There was a wedding and conference on.

Initially allocated room 305 which was very nice. Flat screen tv, tea/coffee/water and a carton of real milk in the fridge. It all turned sour as next door there must have been at least 7 or 8 people in one room drinking, singing, etc. It turned out these were guests who were attending the wedding. I decided to let it go as this was only 2.30pm in the afternoon, however, they returned during the wedding break at 6.30pm. By this time they were well intoxicated with alcohol and the noise levels were ridiculous. I was concerned how bad this noise would be later on into the night. They were all in the one room and congregating in the hallway. I telephoned reception immediately to request a room change. Thankfully the receptionists were very helpful and allocated us room 419. Peaceful until between the hours of 12am and 2am our sleep was interrupted by several noisy and inconsiderate guests singing along the corridors and slamming doors. I find it unbelieveable how people have no consideration for other guests. This was supposed to be a peaceful and relaxing night away but unfortunately we returned home absoltely knackered!

Having said all that, the evening meal was fantastic, breakfast was served in our room for a £3 surchage which is very reasonable and the pool/sauna is also very nice.

All of the staff I encountered were so helpful and friendly which was a bonus. Its just a shame that idiotic guests ruined our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Norton House, I was disappointed to read that your stay was affected by noise from other guests and whilst I was pleased that we were able to allocate you another room, I apologise that you were disturbed again later on in the evening. I am delighted that you found your evening meal to be fantastic and that you enjoyed your room service breakfast. Your comments regarding the staff being helpful and friendly are very much appreciated. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I hope we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back to Norton House in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The first time I stayed in the norton was on Monday for business and I mad sure i was back there in the Thursday for my 2nd stay.

Everyone the worked there was gave great friendly customer service and the reception staff were always up for a joke...even if I never got a suite! :)

The food was excellent, the sticky toffee pudding just melts you, in not sure if its pudding, the brandy snap or the sauce but the taste is excellent. Pork belly pig was also and excellent main. All of the people around me complimented the food. Only complaint is the price if drinks, you expect to pay more for higher end hotels but this goes a step above.

The gym was a little small with a wait for the tread mills but it was January and everyone doing the "get rid of the Christmas belly"

Over all a enjoyable stay and I'll be back as much as I can! This was a business trip but would be happy to return for pleasure to!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your recent visits to the hotel. Your comments regarding the staff and food are very much appreciated and I know the team will take great encouragement when they read your kind words. It is great that you plan to return in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

On the whole we enjoyed ourselves although our room was very dated (apart from large tv) and was very noisy! You could hear every time someone walked past the room which was very annoying. I would have expected our room to be much nicer for £122 per night!
Our spa day experience was lovely and the staff were all very friendly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay in January. I was pleased that you found the Spa day experience lovely and that all of our staff were friendly during your stay. The room you were allocated was one of our traditional rooms which some of our guests prefer, however I apologise that it did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Chris Monks

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!