“Reasons to celebrate” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Reasons to celebrate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We've been back to the hotel and Ushers to celebrate two big events in the past 6 months and the food and service were as memorable as usual. If you ever have the opportunity to have a private function here, you will have an evening to remember for a long time, plus a lot of very happy guests. With the use of a lovely reception room to meet for pre dinner drinks before a wonderful meal, it really was quite special.

Our latest visit was just with close friends, but served to remind us of why we keep returning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your latest stay with us in May. I am very grateful to you for allowing us to host your happy occasions and delighted that you keep returning to us. We look forward to seeing you back at our hotel in the future.

R MacKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel for business purposes in the old part of the hotel just above the reception. In that instance I found the room a bit dated and tired and also very noisy with the sound of a generator going all night. I stayed again recently with my family in the newer part of the hotel which is like a different hotel. Very modern and spacious room with nice decor and a high spec bathroom with lovely rain shower and tv in the bath. This room was very quiet as well. Check in staff were very welcoming and helpful. We used the leisure facilities which were very clean and modern and the pool was great with specific kids times which was much more enjoyable knowing you weren't disturbing other guests. They have a good range of spa treatments too. The leisure centre is separate from the hotel and requires an outside walk which wouldn't be great in inclement weather not that we had a problem with that. The grounds are also lovely and you feel quite removed from city life even though you are minutes from the airport and a short drive into the centre of Edinburgh. I would stay again but would ensure I was in the new part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on Tripadvisor following your stay with us in May. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our hotel and I will ensure that the team are made aware of your kind comments. We have a variety of different room types, as you mentioned. Some people prefer the older style rooms in the main house and others prefer our more contemporary rooms. I am very glad that you have identified your preference and I do hope we will see you return to Norton House in the near future.

Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I really like this hotel but I think it's prices for rooms, food and drink are overpriced. The food is good but very samey if you are staying for a prolonged period. The staff are very polite. Rooms are beautiful but not those above reception in the old part of the hotel. I don't like the fact that the leisure centre is across the way and you have to get properly dressed to go for a swim. Beautiful grounds, lovely walks. All in all, we will return.

Room Tip: The rooms in the old part of the hotel above reception are old fashioned an in need of sprucing-up...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you really like our hotel. Should you be staying with us for a prolonged period of time in the future and you fancy something to eat, which is not on our menu, please mention this to one of our team and we will always try to accommodate this. I am sorry that you feel some of our items to be overpriced. I can assure you that we do carry out regular cometitor analysis to ensure that our pricing reflects the quality that we offer and the investment in our business. I was glad to read that you appreciated our grounds and the lovely walks available. Although our Leisure Club and Spa is not attached to the main building, it is a very short walk to get there. And, I am sure you agree, it is worth the short walk. Again, thank you for posting a review of you stay and hopefully we will see you back at Norton House in the future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Surprised with a stay in this wonderful hotel for my birthday I cannot wait to go back. I have subsequently read some of the trip advisor reviews and all the comments about the helpfulness of the staff were not over stating. They were considerate and thoughtful (even delivering a champagne treat to the room when they heard it was my birthday) and made the stay very special indeed. Now let's move on to the spa... Looks very new but has actually been there since 2007 and is immaculately maintained. I had the salt scrub and my partner the back neck and shoulder massage and both of us came out raving about it. The room was beautiful and peaceful (something I struggle to find in hotel rooms). The meals we had were again of the highest standard and I particularly recommend the ox cheek main course. We have stayed in a number of the hand picked hotels and have yet to be disappointed in any however this one sets itself apart with the quality of the staff. Hope to return again soon.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of our hotel following you stay with us for your birthday in May. I was delighted to read that you had such a great time with us. The team will be very encouraged by your comments. The Braised Ox Cheeks that you enjoyed in our Brasserie are turning into a firm favourite with our guests. Again, thank you for your kind comments. I do hope we will see you back at Norton House Hotel and Spa again soon.

Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Situated a short distance from the M8, Norton House is by far one of the best hotels that I have stayed in and is on par if not exceeds some of the best 5* hotels that I have stayed in throughout the world. This trip was booked as part of a 40th birthday celebration and from the moment we arrived the service was excellent. We were upgraded from the Edinburgh suite to the most impressive Kingdom suite without even asking thanks to the front of house manager Piers. The suite was amazing and is as described in their brochure. A birthday card from the hotel was also delivered along with the champagne we had ordered. Some touches like the fresh milk in the fridge in your room for your coffee, the superb staff or the brollys for use by the guests at each outer door just make it. The spa facilities are excellent as was the food in the hotel. There is an excellent breakfast choice and the food in the spa is lovely for lunch ( with a bottle of wine) in between treatments.Both my wife and I are fussy 'foodies' and loved the food. I must recommend Ushers if you can book a table. Another nice touch was "happy 40th Birthday" wriiten in chocolate around the dessert plate. I must add that the only time I mentioned that it was a birthday treat was when I booked the hotel which was obviously picked up by the hotel and ultimately made the whole stay that bit more special. We never saw in the basic rooms so couldn't comment on them but can only recommend the suites for a special stay. Having returned home to 2 young screaming children we are now planning our return....sooner rather than later!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a glowing review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read what a great time you had and you certainly seem to have made the most of our facilities. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your comments. I am very glad that you decided to celebrate your birthday with us and I look forward to seeing you return to our hotel in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed here during a visit to family in Scotland. The hotel is very impressive as you drive up to it and has excellent facilities. We made full use of the big swimming pool with jacuzzi, experience shower and sauna which was free to use for hotel guests. I didn't have any spa treatments which I normally would as I thought they were overpriced for a hotel.

Our room however was disappointingly small with a view of the car park. I was particularly annoyed about this as we had paid extra for an executive room so I can't imagine what the classic rooms were like. Fortunately the bathroom made up for it as this was outstanding with a rain shower and a TV in the wall.

We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening as we stayed early in the week and it was closed but the breakfast the next morning was first class with a very wide choice of cold and hot food. We did have afternoon tea in the bar which again was somewhat disappointing at a cost of £3.50 just for a single cup of tea and slow service.

Overall I would highly rate the facilities of the hotel but felt that the rooms and service do not justify the high price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to Norton House hotel and Spa. I am glad that you made good use of the Leisure Club facilities. We do carry our regular competitor analysis to ensure that our pricing is at suitable levels and I am disappointed that you thought our Spa Treatment prices to be overpriced. The room that you occupied is indeed one of our executive rooms which were added to our hotel 4 years ago. I am sorry that you thought this room to be small; this is not a comment that we get very often. We do have a variety of different room types available and you may have found one of our suites to be a better fit for your stay. The restuarant where you took breakfast is our Brasserie. This restaurant is open for dinner seven nights a week. Our 3 Rosette Restaurant, Ushers, is open for dinner Wednesday through to Saturday. I am sorry you did not take dinner in our Brasserie. I am sure you would have enjoyed it.

Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

My second stay in a Hand Picked hotel and it didn't disappoint. Excellent service from all staff, nothing was too much trouble.
Room was well appointed, fresh and clean. Nice touch with a soft toy cat to put outside the room as your 'do not disturb' sign.
Decided to eat in the Brasserie. Partner had the braised ox cheek, absolutely delicious. I had the rib eye steak (why they gave me a steak knife I do not know, a butter knife would have cut it) beautifully cooked. Homemade chips to die for. Followed with a shared cheeseboard with a good choice of cheese.
Breakfast was really good, best I've had in a long time! Omelette Arnold Bennett recommended!

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a fantastic review of you stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit so much. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your kind comments; they will take great encouragement from them. We are very proud of the standard of food and service we offer in our Brasserie. Maybe on your next visit you will be able to enjoy dinner in out 3 Rosette Restaurant, Ushers. It is definitely worth a visit.

Thanks again for your comments. I hope we will see you return to Norton House soon.

Kind regards.

R MacKay

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!