“Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Booked a last minute, one night break at Norton House on a dinner b & b deal. Our sat nav took us through an industrial estate to get to the hotel so by the time we got to the drive I was not sure we had made a good decision. However, as soon as we turned onto the drive things looked up. The grounds were beautifully kept and well presented, and the hotel, a mix of old and new looked equally well maintained and presentable. We were warmly greeted by the young lady on reception who personally took us to our room and showed us around. Our room, 608, in the new wing (4 years old) was chic and stylish with French doors opening onto a balcony, comfortable arm chairs, and the usual desk, TV etc. The view, over the car park was uninspiring, but the room was so well thought out and well appointed that this was a minor fault. There was fresh milk in the fridge, complimentary bottled water, a real plant on the coffee table, towelling robes, iron and ironing board, excellent lighting options, a variety of mirrors (full length and magnifying) and a heating / air conditioning system that actually worked and that you could control. The bathroom was superb, full bath and separate shower enclosure plenty of towels warming on the heated towel rail, a good selection of quality toiletries and had the luxury of under-floor heating and even a TV at the end of the bath! The bed was comfortable with good linens but smaller than we are used to. Another lovely touch was Maisie, the “do not disturb cat” We had per dinner drinks in the bar and ate in the brassiere where there was a good choice from the menu to suit all tastes. A wobbly table was quickly sorted; the service was slick and professional with the staff striking the fine balance between formal service and friendly warmth and customer care. Our wine was served at the perfect temperature and our meal was well presented and of good quality. (There is also a fine dining option in the hotel’s restaurant) Breakfast was equally good. Service was quick and welcoming with plenty of options from the continental buffet and a cooked menu. The spa and pool is obviously a big attraction at the hotel and there was a list of tempting treatments and offers in our room. Arriving late we did not have time to use the pool and spa on our arrival day but were told that we were welcome to stay after checkout and use the facilities. Unfortunately we were not able to do this but we did have a walk round and I am sure the standard would have been equally high. This was a real last minute decision to have a night away and I was prepared to be slightly disappointed as ‘deals’ often find you allocated a small, older room and with limited menu choices. At Norton House we were not in the least bit disappointed and the whole experience was first class. The quality of the staff stands out as one of the highlights. It is so rare to get good friendly service these days. Every staff member we came across – from the gentleman who opened the front door for us, a young man we met in a corridor delivering room service, to the ladies re stocking the rooms, greeted us warmly and made us feel welcome. The only faults I could find was a cigarette end on our balcony and disappointingly leathery pancakes at breakfast. A great escape, well done Norton House.

Room Tip: A room in the new wing on the 600 floor for a balcony
1 Thank Loanhead
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
I am very grateful to you for taking the time to compose such a detailed review of you recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and I will ensure that the team are aware of your kind comments. I do hope that next time you visit you will be able to spoil yourself with a trip to our Spa and a few treatments, they really are worthwhile.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope we will see you back at Norton House soon.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have stayed at other Handpicked Hotels and have found them to be very good (Crathorne and Wood Hall Hotel and Spa).

I expected a Country House experience at Norton House - not to be. I feel disappointed and let down.

Beautiful drive and building - good so far. Entrance lovely and pleasant and helpful staff. I was advised that we had been upgraded - an unexpected suprise.

Then we went downhill. Room overlooked a car park (I had requested a nice view when I made my booking). Bathroom excellent, but the bed.... It was clearly past its best - hard, squeaky and sagged in the middle - not a typical handpicked bed. Bath robes tatty and one was stained.

I asked if there were any other rooms available and was shown to one in the same block on the ground floor next to the lift- on the way to the spa. I declined this - to be fair to the hotel there was a wedding on and a private function (much in evidence!) so there were very few rooms available. The receptionist was very pleasant, as were all the staff.

I did not enjoy the spa area - one lady using the pool in her underwear. Changing facilities poor.

We slept very poorly - the bed was very uncomfotable and the pillows tatty and I would have thrown them out years ago. Breakfast only just average No fresh juice at breakfast - why?

All in all a most disappointing stay and not typical of Handpicked Hotels. I felt I was staying in a motel or airport hotel. No country house experience at all. Public arears/bar tatty and lots of dirty glasses in evidence.

Ushers restaurant however superb - loved it.

This is not a hotel for couples looking for a country house experience - particularly when there are private functions on-going.

I would never stay at this hotel again. I would have left immediately, had it not been for the 6 hour drive ahead of me.

A good point however - I filled in the comment sheet and Pier the front of house manager rang before I arrived home (he was going on holiday). I spoke with him and he said he welcomed my comments - however Piers - please try sleeping in that bed.

I get no pleasure from writing this review and have tried to be balanced - there are much better hotels in the handpicked collection. wish we had stayed again at Crathorne

Room Tip: not in the modern block
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of you stay with us last Saturday night. First of all may I say how sorry I am that you "feel let down". It is certainly never our intention to make our guests feel this way. I am very grateful to you for the kind words regarding the level of friendliness and service offered by my staff and I am also glad that you enjoyed the food during your visit.

We are very proud of our levels of service and the quality of food that we offer. I think it is fair to say, however, that you do not like the decor in the newer parts of the hotel. We receive many, many compliments about the new rooms and Spa but I do understand that everyone has their own tastes and these areas are not to yours. As we have extended the hotel through the years, we have added on some contemporary areas. When we have done this we have also been careful to keep some parts of the hotel very traditional. I think you may have been happier in one of our more traditional rooms. We did upgrade you to one of the newer rooms with the best intentions. We do endeavour to keep all areas of the hotel in very good condition so I am very surprised that you found the public areas to be tatty. I have asked my housekeeper to check the bed in the room that you were in as these beds are comparatively new. It is fair to say that the new rooms overlook the car park but the carpark is set in a wooded area and we have invested a lot in landscaping this area.

I have discussed the lack of fresh juice at breakfast with the Manager on duty that morning as we do offer a variety of fresh juices served at the tables. It appears that you enquired as to whether our juices are squeezed on the premises. We purchase top quality fresh juices for service in the restaurant but we do not squeeze the fruit in house.

I am delighted that Piers reacted so efficiently to your comments and I am aware that you have had a good discussion over them. I will ensure that my colleagues at Crathorne Hall and Wood Hall are aware of how much you like their hotels; I am sure they will be very encouraged by this.

Again, please accept my thanks for letting us know of your feelings and my apologies for your disappointment.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I cant praise this facility enough for pleasure or business. They have thought of everything and very relaxing as a spa would indicate. The food was super portion size, presentation and also Hot when required or chilled when required as (normally, cold and tempid) - the rooms have everything throught through from Mirrors to robes hung up incase you do not wish to wear - all super indeed. I would recommend indeed,.

Room Tip: Every room is good, but state your choice and they will accomodate
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you very much for posting a brief, yet lovely, review of your recent stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel so much. I will ensure that the team are aware of your comments; they will take great encouragement from them. I do hope that we will see you return to Norton House in the near future.

Kind regrads

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at Norton House on a weekend deal and it was well worth the money spent. Location isn't fantastic as it's not in the centre of the city. However there is a bus route nearby. The hotel surroundings are beautiful - middle of a field and you get a feeling of secluded luxury. The main building is traditional and historic. Staff friendly and helpful. Fantastic restaurant as well. The rooms were quite good but not quite top top quality. Still, nothing to really complain about. The spa was fantastic. Great pool. Overall a fantastic and memorable stay - if you can get a deal even better.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to Norton House hotel and Spa in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. We are very fortunate to have such a lovely location; secluded yet so easy to reach the city and only a mile and a half from the airport. I do hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Having stayed on 16th March for a works do, which was also held at the hotel - the service and hotel were brilliant! The service from when i arrived to when i left was brilliant, the food both in the bar and the evening meal where lovely. The rooms are very well appointed and the bed was very comfy with a huge choice of pilliows too! Ive stayed at many hotels and this one certainly stood out as one of the best. I even brought the Do Not Disturb cat home - brilliant touch! I will be back....

• 5 of 5 stars
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Kelly

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your visit with us on the 16th March for your company's event. I will ensure that all of our team on duty over your event are made aware of your comments; they will take great encouragement from them. I am happy that Maisie, our "Do not disturb cat" has a new home and I hope that you will look after her. We look forward to seeing you back at Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had this booked for me by my employer, where as I normally stay at the Dalmahoy just a few miles away from this hotel.

The greeting was very pleasant on arrival and I had a lady show me the way to my room. This hasn't happen over at the Dalmahoy in the past and Ive been left wandering the corridors searching for my room.

The room was very clean, comfortable and just what I needed for my overnight stay. I ordered food to my room and it was very reasonably priced, £24 for mains, dessert and a glass of wine. Comparing back to Dalmahoy it cheaper at the Norton, and I think its a better choice.

I didn't use any facilities other than the room so cannot really comment on any extras but everything looked very well presented.

My bed was lovely and comfortable, the only disturbance was the overhead planes (the hotel is very close to Edinburgh Airport) the planes did stop at about 10:30pm though.

Breakfast was served to my room and you could choose what you wanted and what you wanted leaving off. This again is different to the Dalmahoy as you have limited choice there. It was served spot on time, hot and well presented, in fact it was delicious.

All in all, I'll be asking to stay there again over the Dalmahoy and I'm sure my employer will be happy to comply as it is the cheaper of the two!

• 5 of 5 stars
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Jo.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent overnight stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our hotel. I do hope that you are able to use more of our facilities on your next visit with us; the Spa is definitely worth a try! Thanks again for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you back at Norton House in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

From driving up the drive to checking out, everything was perfect. The hotel was very busy with two weddings on but unless somebody had told me I would have been none the wiser. We didnt get any noise and were seperated from all the revellers which made our stay even more enjoyable. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was excellent, service was quick and efficient. We had breakfast early to avoid the crowds and again everyhting was fresh and service was quick.

The Spa is very well appointed and an excellent space to unwind in.

Our room was an executive and was very comfortable and modern. Very nicely designed and we had a small balcony which was great for popping out for a smoke and a TV in the Bathroom, very nice touch.

I worked in the hotel business for many years and I am usually very critical but I couldnt fault the place at all.

i would recommend to anybody.

1 Thank Ewen Y
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Ewen

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely reveiw of your stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit. We have worked long and hard to try to ensure that all of the different parts of our business can run in harmony and I appreciate the fact that you noticed this. Thank you for the kind cooments also about the food and the service you received. I will make sure that the team are aware of your comments.

We look forward to your next stay with us.