“Why we keep going back” 5 of 5 stars

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ingliston, Edinburgh EH28 8LX, Scotland   |
Ranked #28 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Why we keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

The setting, spa and executive rooms are reason enough, but add the delicious fine dining restaurant ; a fantastic welcome every time; the room prepared just as we need it (as one of us uses a wheelchair) and it's the perfect recipe for a relaxing break. Chris and Piers (deputy and front of house Managers) really go out of their way every time to make us feel special, even arranging lovely unexpected little extras for a recent birthday visit. We live close enough that we could in theory travel home after the lovely meal, but all of this means that we will stay virtually every time - and keep returning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
I am very grateful to you for writing such a lovely review of Norton House after your recent stay. We do try to get the small details correct for people and I am delighted that you appreciate this. I will ensure that Chris and Piers are made aware of your comments, however I am sure they will already have read this review.

Kind regards

R MacKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Melrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed at the Norton House for our first wedding anniversary after getting married there a year ago. We had very fond memories of our wedding – everything was perfect and the staff made sure our wedding was just how we wanted it.

On arrival we were greeted by the staff who remembered our faces and gave us a very warm welcome. It was a lovely way to start our stay. We were informed we had been upgraded to the Ratho suite; another lovely surprise. The Ratho suite was extremely luxurious with very tasteful décor. I thoroughly enjoyed lying in the bath, glass of wine in hand whilst watching the TV at the end of the bath!

The bar prices are a little on the steep side but the food is very reasonable and first class. We both had a three course dinner in the Brassiere and each course was just delicious. We have also eaten in Ushers in the past and had a fabulous meal there too.

There were two weddings in the hotel that evening, not that it caused any disruption or excess noise.

We were so chuffed when after dinner two glasses of champagne were delivered to our room with some yummy petit fours. On the serving slate they had piped ‘happy anniversary’ in chocolate. What a really lovely touch.

In the morning we had a very tasty and leisurely breakfast. We then headed over to the spa for a facial and massage in the couples room, before enjoying a swim and healthy lunch. It was then sadly time for us to head home.

What a fantastic time – the staff made us feel really special and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This will be an annual ritual for us, if not more regular!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Norton Norton House, I am so pleased that you chose to come back to celebrate your first anniversary with us after getting Married here last year.

The team look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the not too distant future

Ronnie Mackay
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just back from a lovely weekend away at the Norton House. Having not stayed there for 1 year we were welcomed back like old friends by Piers Knowles and the staff of the Norton House. On checking in we discovered we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a suite which was great. Piers personally showed us to the room and showed us how things worked.
The room had the 'wow' factor in that it was split level and had a balcony. There was a very comfy king size bed and huge TV downstairs and upstairs we had a lounge with sofa bed and another big TV. The suite had a downstairs bathroom with bath TV and upstairs there was another shower room. There were big fluffy bathrobes and plump towels along with Handpicked Hotels own branded toiletries.
We had 2 fridges with fresh milk and complimetary sparkling water which was a nice touch.
The service in the hotel was outstanding.
We ate in the Brasserie restaurant and the food was served swiftly. The food was very tasty and I experienced Ox Cheek for the first time. The staff remembered that we were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and sent up to our room complimentary champagne and homemade sweets which very much impressed my wife.
We also used the facilities in the spa and as well as having a swim and having a massage we enjoyed a very healthy lunch.
All of my expectations were well and truly exceeded. Shame that I can't take any of the credit for how special it all made my wife feel.
The hotel although part of chain does not feel that way. We were amazed that even the spa staff knew who we were and remembered us from our previous stay.

Room Tip: The modern funky executive rooms and mini-suites in the new wing are well worth the extra money over...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of our hotel. I will personally pass on your comment to Piers and his team. I'm am glad that you enjoyed the Brasserie and the Spa, but especially that our team all remembered you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Well, for years I have photographed weddings at the Norton. Having now retired it was a priviledge to be a guest at a wedding and not just the hired photographer on the big day. I can honestly say that in my opinion the complete function was a sucess. I must stress at this point that I was a guest and NOT the brides parents who were paying the bill.
As our family are spread far and wide, quite a few had rooms overnight. As we only live 15 minutes away, we chose not to stay. Our family that did stay were more than complimentary about the service, their rooms and the breakfast.
I have always been concerned about the youthfulness of the majority of staff covering wedding functions.NO NEED, the young staff worked in total coreography and were absolutely faultless throughout the day.
The meal was perfect and even a NIT PICKING VIRGO like me could not complain. OK, the bar prices were not cheap. However it was a luxury hotel and not a local social club!!
All in all with such beautiful grounds I would have to rate this wedding venue at 100%

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post feeedback following the wedding you attended at Norton House Hotel. Given your experience as a professional photographer, it delights me that as a wedding venue you have rated us 100%.

Once again thank you very much for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

Barnet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I flew up to a family wedding recently. The welcome was warm, and we were shown to our small but well-equipped room. The wedding was in the hotel itself, followed by an excellent meal. The following morning we had a great breakfast and made full use of the complimentary spa and other facilities. The hotel is close to the airport so 'transfer time' was minimal, and we would therefore thoroughly recommend it.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
I am so pleased you enjoyed your weekend at Norton House, where you attended a family wedding. I have passed your kind comments on to all of the team.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Cupar in Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I spent our wedding anniversary at the Norton House and we had a wonderful time. Our Executive room in the annexe was fantastic with balcony and a tv at the end of the bath! The staff were so helpful and friendly in particular the waiter was so knowledgeable of the dishes he served in the Ushers restaurant. The leisure facilities were wonderful and they fitted us in last minute for a treatment and couldn't have been more accommodating with extra towels, robes and slippers. We were slightly concerned by 2 wedding parties taking place but we really didn't hear a thing. Thoroughly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back and try the taster menu in Ushers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such kind comments following your stay at the Hotel, many congratulations to you both on your anniversary. I am delighted you enjoyed your special stay with us and enjoyed the executive room with balcony and a television at the end of the bath. I am pleased you enjoyed your Spa so much and I agree with you, you must try the tasting menu when you next visit Ushers, having sampled it myself it really is a truly memorable dining experience

I have passed on your kind comments to our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel for many years to come.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I attended a wedding here and was shocked at the bar prices!

The world being in economic melt down at present I feel someone should at least inform the management of this and they act accordingly and drop the bar prices.

Around about £6 for a glass of house wine = PATHETIC.
And around £4 for a pint of beer. The price of a bottle of beer or cider is enough to make you cry.

And we were not the only ones who noticed this.

This actually spoiled the day somewhat, but after a few drinks I ended up just laughing when I ordered at the bar and was given the price.....unbelievable.............TOTALLY

A total rip off,

Room Tip: Take your credit card with you!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on our pricing after your recent visit to us. I am disappointed that you felt this way and I can assure you that, whilst we are not cheap, I do beleive that our pricing is competitive against similar quality of establishements locally. We constantly monitor our competitors prices to ensure that our prices are fair and I am confident that this is the case just now.

Kind regards

R MacKay

Been to Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh? Share your experiences!