“Ben Doran Feb 1-3” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ben Doran

You added Ben Doran to your Saves list
Ben Doran
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   11 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh EH9 2AX, Scotland (South Side)   |
Ranked #265 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
“Ben Doran Feb 1-3”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The staff were all wonderful and breakfast was excellent. It was so nice to have more than just toast and cereals in the morning. They do take your credit card when you're checking in which can make some people uncomfortable but it didn't bother me a bit. I had booked a double bed room for my sister and I and we ended up with a double bed and a twin bed in one room so that was a nice surprise. There were tea/coffee/hot chocolate making facilities on every floor. My only complaint is that it is a very long walk from the city centre. My sister and I arrived in Edinburgh at night and it took us almost 45 minutes to find the place because we thought there was no way it could be so far away. Like others have said, there is a bus stop right outside so we used it everyday. Definitely a guest house/bed and breakfast, not at all a hotel. I'd definitely stay again if I had the chance, awesome value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ware, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Have just returned from a weekend at this hotel for my birthday. The room was beautiful, the staff very helpful and friendly and the breakfast had something for everyone; a choice of different pastries, fruit, cereals, and english breakfast. After seeing my birthday cards in our room a bottle of wine and some pringles were put in there for me from the hotel, this was a lovely touch that was very much appreciated. The hotel is right opposite a bus stop which meant it was incredibly easy to get into the city centre at any time of day. There were about 6 different busses you could choose from, resulting in us waiting no longer than 3 minutes to catch one. You can buy an all day ticket for only £3.50 which made travel very cheap and convinient. I can't praise the staff or the guesthouse enough,it was a beautiful house and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Edinburgh who doesn't want to be right in the city centre but a ten minute ride away fom all the action. Thank you to all a the Ben Doran for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Overall not 4 star.. And location is 25
Min walk min to centre... Ok place but for the price I think I'd look around if I ever returned

Breakfast was very basic, but ok however I was expecting a full English or choice of eggs.. Only left out scrambled.....

Over all it's a basic guest house.. Does the job but ain't anything special

• Stayed January 2013
Bridgwater
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This 'guest house' is ideally situated. Far enough away from the city centre to be quieter but near enough that you could walk if you wanted to, although there are numerous buses at all times passing the door.
There is limited parking but when we knew we were taking the car the next day we informed the staff & they assured us that they would have the keys to the car blocking ours so no problem.
Our room was a decent size with a large comfortable bed & ensuite shower room. All very clean & tidy. Breakfast was a typical buffet style, nothing special but edible.
The staff were very pleasent & polite. We enjoyed our stay although they should stop calling themselves a hotel, this is a guest house.

Room Tip: Room 11 has the ensuite but is at the very top of the house & there is no lift
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Benalla, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Access to off-street parking. Convenient access to city centre and public transport. Friendly staff who took pride in good quality service. The room was clean and well appointed, but maybe a little small. Good choice of breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a comfortable stay here, the ensuite shower room was clean and very cosy! Parking was on the road, there are only a couple of spaces in front of the hotel but as it was the weekend we could park on the main road. Breakfast was good and the staff very friendly. A good BandB for an overnight in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on 29th September 2012. I had booked this thinking I was booking and paying for a 4 start hotel as it is advertised as such. I had been pleasantly surprised with a full £100 discount on booking so only paid £125 for the night and was looking forward to a bit of 4 start luxury.

We had been assured of a courtyard/city view, king sized bed and full en suite facilities.

On arrival we drove straight past the place as we were looking for a hotel. This place is a B&B. On parking in the tiny car park and entering, the undeservedly snooty landlady took my bank card and disappeared into a back room with it saying she was going to make a copy. I wasn't keen on this and told her I would settle the bill then and there but she insisted on taking my card out of my sight for several minutes. I will be keeping a very close eye on my account for the next few weeks..

We were then taken to our "room with a view". It was in the basement. There was only one window which was below ground level and showed only the basement steps. The king sized bed was a double, The furniture was cheap, the 12 inch TV didn't work, the whole place was in need of a duster, the bathroom was tiny and poorly maintained. The shower was so small you could hardly pick up the pump activated cheap shower gel from the floor (there were no shelves) the bed was quite amazingly uncomfortable and the duvet was the size of a postage stamp.

The next day we were treated to a foul breakfast of cheap bacon, cheap sausage, vile and soggy black pudding and some ancient scrambled eggs which resembled anthracite.

In no sphere of reality is this place worth £125 a night let alone the "full price" of £225 nor is it even a 4 star B&B let alone a hotel!!

I would never recommend this place and feel like I have been robbed of my money by some pretty shoddy false advertising. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Room Tip: How to choose a good room? Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ben Doran? Share your experiences!