“Okay... Just a standard guest house.. Breakfast basic but clean. Room basic and bit noisy with open window but ok I guess..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ben Doran

You added Ben Doran to your Saves list
Ben Doran
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   11 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh EH9 2AX, Scotland (South Side)   |
Ranked #265 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Overall not 4 star.. And location is 25
Min walk min to centre... Ok place but for the price I think I'd look around if I ever returned

Breakfast was very basic, but ok however I was expecting a full English or choice of eggs.. Only left out scrambled.....

Over all it's a basic guest house.. Does the job but ain't anything special

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bridgwater
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This 'guest house' is ideally situated. Far enough away from the city centre to be quieter but near enough that you could walk if you wanted to, although there are numerous buses at all times passing the door.
There is limited parking but when we knew we were taking the car the next day we informed the staff & they assured us that they would have the keys to the car blocking ours so no problem.
Our room was a decent size with a large comfortable bed & ensuite shower room. All very clean & tidy. Breakfast was a typical buffet style, nothing special but edible.
The staff were very pleasent & polite. We enjoyed our stay although they should stop calling themselves a hotel, this is a guest house.

Room Tip: Room 11 has the ensuite but is at the very top of the house & there is no lift
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Benalla, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Access to off-street parking. Convenient access to city centre and public transport. Friendly staff who took pride in good quality service. The room was clean and well appointed, but maybe a little small. Good choice of breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a comfortable stay here, the ensuite shower room was clean and very cosy! Parking was on the road, there are only a couple of spaces in front of the hotel but as it was the weekend we could park on the main road. Breakfast was good and the staff very friendly. A good BandB for an overnight in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on 29th September 2012. I had booked this thinking I was booking and paying for a 4 start hotel as it is advertised as such. I had been pleasantly surprised with a full £100 discount on booking so only paid £125 for the night and was looking forward to a bit of 4 start luxury.

We had been assured of a courtyard/city view, king sized bed and full en suite facilities.

On arrival we drove straight past the place as we were looking for a hotel. This place is a B&B. On parking in the tiny car park and entering, the undeservedly snooty landlady took my bank card and disappeared into a back room with it saying she was going to make a copy. I wasn't keen on this and told her I would settle the bill then and there but she insisted on taking my card out of my sight for several minutes. I will be keeping a very close eye on my account for the next few weeks..

We were then taken to our "room with a view". It was in the basement. There was only one window which was below ground level and showed only the basement steps. The king sized bed was a double, The furniture was cheap, the 12 inch TV didn't work, the whole place was in need of a duster, the bathroom was tiny and poorly maintained. The shower was so small you could hardly pick up the pump activated cheap shower gel from the floor (there were no shelves) the bed was quite amazingly uncomfortable and the duvet was the size of a postage stamp.

The next day we were treated to a foul breakfast of cheap bacon, cheap sausage, vile and soggy black pudding and some ancient scrambled eggs which resembled anthracite.

In no sphere of reality is this place worth £125 a night let alone the "full price" of £225 nor is it even a 4 star B&B let alone a hotel!!

I would never recommend this place and feel like I have been robbed of my money by some pretty shoddy false advertising. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Room Tip: How to choose a good room? Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We arrive mid afternoon, parked the car in the tiny car park at the front of the hotel. Booking in was simple and the staff were very friendly and went through the check in process very quickly and with the minimum of fuss. On arrival I could not help but notice the music that was playing. We were shown to our room by a member of the staff and again this was simple and straight to the point. The room was pleasant enough and clean, we were lucky that we had booked an executive room which meant we had an on suit which was a bit dated but functional, apart from the wc toilet which took several flushes if you catch my drift... The breakfast was buffet style laid out in the corner of the dinning room, the selection was basic, scrambled egg, sausage, bacon, beans etc with a choice of grape fruit or prunes with yogurt coffee and toast. The staff were friendly and attentive.
I have just give this review a average rating, it would have been higher but for the the Eurovision type music blasting out from the private area. Not to everyone's taste I'm afraid once was enough.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

When we arrived we parked the car in front of the Ben Dornan Guest House. There were 2 other cars already parked but when we went out later the three cars were blocked in by three more cards parking directly behind them. There is no way Guest House would know whose car belonged to who so just as well we did not need to move the car in a hurry. The only good point I can say about the Ben Dornan was the room was clean. It is badly in need of a refurbishment as the rooms are dated and the stair carpet badly worn. When we arrived, the girl did not make us feel very welcome,she just asked our name and then said "Credit Card". My partner handed her his card even though we had pre-paid through Booking.com. She then went through to another room and when my partner went to see what she was doing he saw her logging the card details into a book. We were really concered about this that anyone could look at the book and see people's credit card details. My partner has sine cancelled that card. We went down to breakfast in the morning well within the breakfast time but all the hot dishes were empty apart from overcooked hard bacon which I couldn't even cut with a knife and a small amount of pale tasteless scrambled egg, Both the bacon and egg were luke warm so after a few moments on my plate became stone cold. We were not offered brown toast but just given white. Both the woman and man who could possibly have been the owners, did check the dishes and saw they were empty but they were never replenished. We paid £113 for the room which was not cheap and to experience a substandard breakfast was extremely disappointing. I wish I had read the previous reviews that this is Guest House should not be advertised as a 4* establishment but more 2*. I hope the owners read these reviews and take the comments onboard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ben Doran? Share your experiences!