“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hong Kong, China
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Edinburgh and I had no idea about where to stay and after looking at so many reviews decided on the Apex City. It was the right choice as we were right in the middle of the The location is really good as its right in the middle of the Old City. The hotel is comfortable but as the weather was warm the room was a bit stuffy and the corridors and common parts should have air conditioning as it was really hot and airless. The restaurant was good and they staff very accommodating.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Joyce

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, found my staff to be helpful and the location of the hotel to be perfect for visiting all the great sights Edinburgh has to offer.

I do appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Haywards Heath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, and in most respects were pleased with what it had to offer. Breakfast was good, and dinner was very good value although the dining room does rather lack character. The staff were friendly and helpful.
However, the rooms were very uncomfortably warm, there is no air conditioning, and the windows only open slightly - and with them open it was very noisy throughout the night. Whilst the weather was warmish, it was by no means hot, so this really is a problem area. Fans are provided in the rooms, but they are a poor substitute for air conditioning.
In summary, a nice hotel - in the winter.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Howard

I was sorry to read that you found your bedroom too hot during your stay with us. As you quite correctly mentioned air-conditioning would be very welcome during the summer and is certainly something we are considering installing in the future. I am glad however that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us and hope you will still return the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We chose the apex because it's "in the shadow of the castle" which it is, unfortunately our room did not have a view, except the car park.

However the location is great, you can walk up to the Royal Mile and the castle, we walked over 30km in the 3 days we stayed in Edinburgh!

The pricing is good and the staff are fantastic, very helpful and if you book tours through the hotel there are up to 20% discounts.

The only problems we thought the hotel had were that the rooms are very hot in the evening, there is a small fan in the room, but it's not very powerful. The water pressure in the shower is terrible and the pillows far too soft. The biggest issue for me is there is access to a pool and gym in their sister hotel 100m away, which is fine and access was very simple, the gym was just a let down. 2 treadmills, a rowing machine an elliptical, a bike and a really difficult to use weights machine without instructions, incredibly small space and no free weights, but that's just me, I'm sure it would be fine for others. You don't need cardio machines in Edinburgh with all the hills! I didn't try the pool.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you found our location perfect for visiting all the great attractions Edinburgh has to offer. I am sorry you did not get a room with a view of the Castle. If you stay with us again in the future please let us know your preference and we will do our very best to accommodate. I have also noted your comments regarding the gym at our sister hotel and will make a point of passing your feedback to the General Manager so he can review their offering.

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and hope you will return in the future.

Colorado Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We got our room but I immediately noticed a large hunk of hair wrapped up in the drain, Gross! In addition to the hair there was stain on the curtains and a hole in the carpet between the beds. We went to front desk to complain. The front desk decided to give us a new room but that room was still occupied. Needless to say I didn't enjoy walking in on someone and getting yelled at. We went back downstairs again (having to take the stairs because you could hardly fit two people in the elevators) and were assigned another room. We walking in and the bedding configuration was wrong. Fortunately we were going out and maid service was able to switch the bedding while we were out. Our last room was the nicest and looked as if it were one of the more recent renovated rooms. Curtains were still dirty but it was already sixth trip on the stairs and figured it was the best available.

When looking at the photos online, the actual rooms are more run down/tired looking. The photos also make the rooms look more spacious. If you stay spend the money to upgrade your room.

Breakfast service was okay. Not a large selection and a very narrow room. Narrow room means when it is busy you are constantly bumping into people.

The good things I can say is that there is a great view of Edinburgh Castle from the lobby areas. The location was perfect. Easy walking to the Royal Mile and beyond.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sarah

Thank you for leaving feedback following your stay with us in May. Your review is very concerning to me and I would like to establish which room you stayed in as I am unaware of a room with a hole in the carpet between the beds. I am also disappointed that you had other issues during your stay and would appreciate the opportunity to respond to these issues to your satisfaction. If you have a spare moment please drop me an e-mail advising which room you stayed in and I will get in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We found our stay here comfortable although hot overnight with no air conditioning and very slim window opening. I felt the breakfast offer was basic & the scrambled eggs watery & not tasty.
The room was large & bathroom well designed with separate shower that we loved ( no soap holder though).
We would stay again but breakfast round the corner at Hula

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you found your room comfortable and “would stay here again". I have, however, noted your comment regarding breakfast and am sorry that you were a little disappointed with the quality of the scrambled eggs. From your review I am unsure if you let your waiter know as it is our policy to immediately arrange a replacement as we are always keen for guests to enjoy the food we serve. Hopefully if you stay with us again you will give breakfast in the hotel another try.

haywards heath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Overall we considered this a good hotel and enjoyed our stay. All the staff were good and the location is perfect. The food at both breakfast and dinner was good, well served and value for money. The wifi was free and fast.
Rooms are a good size clean and well maintained.
The big drawback is that there is no air conditioning, and we spent two very hot restless nights as a result. The windows open only a very small amount.
In conclusion we highly recommend this hotel for a stay outside the summer months.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear David

Thank you for posting a positive review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad you found our location, my staff and the food in our restaurant to be to a good standard. My apologies however that you found the room too hot. Unfortunately we do not have air-conditioning and this can, on particularly humid days, mean the rooms can get quite warm. Thankfully Edinburgh is not known for its great weather and the heat only becomes an issue on certain days during the year. I am sorry you were too hot on this occasion.

I do appreciate you leaving a review and hope you will return again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

My colleague and I stayed here for 6 nights during a business trip, having stayed here previously in 2007. I can highly recommend the hotel - plenty of places to eat close by, and close to Princes Street for shoppers.
Superior double room very clean and comfortable, although there is no air con (only heating) and the room was very warm (unexpectedly mild weather for Edinburgh in June).
Restaurant deals excellent value for money - two course evening meal from set menu £14.95.
Staff extremely helpful and courteous, especially Vinnie, Aaron and Karolina.
Will be back.....

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kathryn

It was very nice of you to leave such positive feedback following your recent stay, and to take the time to single out 3-members of my team that you felt offered particularly high levels of service. I will make a point of passing your praise on personally as I know they will all be pleased by your comments.

Thank you again for posting a review and I am glad that you "will be back".

Lindsay Sturrock

Been to Apex City Hotel? Share your experiences!