“Short Break, Very Good.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Yorkshire
“Short Break, Very Good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We had a three night stay at the Apex city 7-10th April 2014. The hotel is ideally situated in the Grassmarket very close to all the attractions and a good view of the castle from rooms at the front. On arrival we found the reception staff very friendly and helpful, and we were soon settled in our room. The room was a good size and presented very well, the shower was huge, the bath was a 3/4 size but did not present any problem everything being very clean.

Breakfast was ordered for for the 3 mornings of our stay and had a very good assortment of cereals, fruit, and continental options supported by a cooked menu option too. The waiting staff all being very friendly and polite. We chose to eat out one night and then had evening meals in house for the rest of the stay, we were not disappointed! A special note here for the management, for the waitress on duty on Tuesday evening forgot her name (from Carlisle) her attention to detail, professionalism, and friendly attitude makes her worthy of a mention. So we can recommend the in house restaurant.

Now on the down side, the hotel has limited parking available, we did manage to find parking at the sister hotel (Apex International) a few doors away, so not really a problem.

We found the heat upstairs in the corridors stuffy and uncomfortable, the rooms also being too warm making a good nights sleep difficult. Fortunately being at the rear of the hotel we could open the window and offer a little ventilation, however we were disturbed in the early hours by noisy revellers heading home and what I can only think are hotel night staff slamming bin lids outside in the early hours. The above are minor issues but we think visitors need to consider.

Our main disappointment was the bed in room 3128 was so uncomfortable, contributing to a not so restful night, if we where staying for a longer period, we would have requested another room.

Even with the issues above we would not hesitate in returning here and we are also planning our next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear are quieter than at the front. The restaurant is an excellent place to eat, a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you "would not hesitate to return" despite a couple of issues with your room. I have taken note of your comments regarding the bed and will arrange for the mattress to be replaced. I am also sorry that you found your room a little hot. We have now turned the heating right down and this should help to keep the rooms cooler. Unfortunately with the weather still being very changeable we have had to keep a reasonable level of heat in the building in case of a cold period.

I do appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Burlington, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a great hotel with the perfect location for tourists. It's a short walk from Waverley Station (uphill most of the way) and close to most attractions and restaurants. The staff is very friendly and couldn't be more helpful, stowing our luggage until we could check in to our room, giving advice on how to get places, and arranging for a taxi a couple times when we needed one. The dinner we had in the restaurant was excellent. We had heard that Grassmarket could be noisy at night, but our room was at the back of the hotel and we heard nothing during any of the 10 nights we were there. The room was a little too warm the first night but we opened the window after that and it was fine. We will definitely this hotel to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am always pleased to read a positive review form a long stay guest. I know my staff will be happy that you stayed with us for 10-nights and enjoyed your visit. I also appreciate that you are going to recommend the hotel to your friends and I certainly hope you will find the time to come and stay with us again in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Lovely hotel in a really great location. You can see the castle from the hotel! Staff were really friendly and catered for every need. The room was a good size with a really nice layout with a good amount of room for luggage not to get in the way.

Room Tip: Buy tour tickets through the hotel as they can get some special offers.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Matthew

Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and reception were able to help with tickets for some of the great attractions Edinburgh has to offer.

Your review is very much appreciated and I do hope you will stay with us again.

Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is the second time we've stayed here and it really is excellent. We stayed 2 nights and upgraded to a suite. The location in Grassmarkets is perfect if you want to be where there's loads going on. The rooms are so comfy - the suites are incredible value and have wonderful views of the castle. But it's the service that's the best - the staff cannot do enough to help. I booked a tour through the reception prior to arrival and Lucie was great - sorted everything out - phoned to confirm and when we checked in she was there there with the paperwork. It's the little things that makes this place so good, like when I bought a couple of bottles of water from the bar to take out with us the barman said "you'll be needing this" and gave me a bottle opener - very thoughtful.
I hope the rest of the Apex chain can live up to the City Hotel - I am aiming to try one in London to see.
Thanks for an excellent stay again. We cant wait to visit again.

Room Tip: There are great upgrade to Suites on offer. The suites are very nice and spacious with views over G...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to the Apex City hotel - it was good to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked your suite. I particularly appreciate your kind comments about my staff and know they will be pleased by your feedback. Edinburgh has many hotels to select from and it is often the staff that can make the difference.

Our hotels in London are all very nice and I am sure you will enjoy your stay just as much. Our Apex Temple Court is the newest Apex in London and is certainly worth considering.

I do appreciate you taking the time to leave such a lovely review and hope you will return again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This place is terrific AND finding a nice place in Scotland for a decent price is a surprise . Location is terrific for tourists , just a short walk (uphill ) to the a Royal Mile and the Castle . Lots of good restaurants nearby . The physical plant is very nice . Good ( not great) bed . Service is terrific . There was a small glitch when we arrived ( too small to mention ) they immediately offered us free breakfast ( Scottish breakfast worth £13.50 each ) and gave us a 25% off coupon for the rest of our trip AND fixed the glitch in no time . The food in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced . WIFI is full strength with no problems during our 3 day stay . No safe in the room but you can put your valuables in a secure bag behind the desk ( a safe would be better ) . The staff are wonderful , every one of them . Almost forgot we were in Scotland .

Dear Guest

Having noticed how many reviews you have left on Tripadvisor I am really pleased that you have awarded us with 5*****stars. It is always good to receive positive feedback from a seasoned traveller and I will ensure my staff are made aware of your kind comments about the service they provided.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I do hope you will stay with us again should you return to Edinburgh.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. The hotel is in a great location with all major attractions being a short walk away. Breakfast was great, nothing too much trouble, great service. The rooms & hotel was too hot with heating on constantly and no aircon in the rooms which made sleeping a little uncomfortable. I would recommend this hotel & would stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel and would stay here again. My apologies that you found your room a little warm - we have now turned down the heating which should make it more comfortable without being too cold during the night.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and hope you will return again soon.

Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed a couple of nights. Great location. Staff are excellent. Very good service. Rooms are spacious. Our bed was a bit too soft for my liking so not the most comfy. The breakfast was very good! Generous portions. Nice ingredients! I had Scottish one day and smoked haddock another. Free wifi. My only gripe is this place needs to regulate the heating as we were all too hot and there was no air con in the rooms. I would stay again. Please let me know if this review was useful as it will keep me motivated to write more. Thanks.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and found my staff to be "excellent". I have also noted your comment regarding the temperature in your bedroom and will ask my Maintenance Manager to review the bedroom heating. The weather appears to be changing for the better and we may need to adjust the heating accordingly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Lindsay Sturrock

Been to Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!