“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
York
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night. I emailed the hotel prior to arriving to check if I could leave our bag at reception as our train arrived early. They emailed back to say this was OK. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready at 10.30am and it did have a view of the castle which we had requested. The room was OK, the bathroom was a good size especially the walk in shower. The shower did leak from the hose, but it was adequate. The only criticism is that the room is a little tired - chips off the furniture. Also the carpet could do with a good clean. The bar was nice. We didn't think the drinks were overly expensive although the glasses of wine were more expensive than normal. Can't comment on the food as it was a room only rate. The location of the hotel on Grassmarket was good. The worst thing was the noise, if a large group of people were in reception making a lot of noise this seemed to carry up the stairs and it was like a whole group of people were outside your door. The hotel did provide earplugs on each bedside cabinet so that should have given us a clue! Would I return? Not sure. Maybe, but take my own earplugs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that you found your room to be quite noisy. Unfortunately some of the rooms at the front of the hotel can be a little noisy at the weekends due to our central location. The Grassmarket is a very popular area thanks to the many pubs and restaurants.
Reading your review I am unsure whether you let us know you were unhappy with your room. It is our normal policy to offer guests a room move to a different part of the building if they are not 100% satisfied, as we have many other rooms that are particularly quiet, but don't offer the same views of the Castle.

With regard to the chips on the furniture in your room; if you would be so kind as to e-mail me with a note of your room number I will arrange for my maintenance team to have the furniture repaired immediately. My e-mail address is - lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Thank you again for your review and if you stay with us in the future please let reception know when you arrive that you would prefer a quiet room and we will make sure we allocate you a room to the rear of the building.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights to attend a wedding. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful on arrival. Rooms are spacious, clean and well serviced. Location of hotel is excellent and within minutes from many major attractions, as well as the shopping streets. I only had breakfast here the first morning. Choice of continental or full Scottish, which is served at your table. I can highly recommend this hotel for its value for money, friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms and excellent location.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. I am really pleased you marked us with 5-stars and would highly recommend us. Compliments are always very welcome and I do hope that you will find the time to come and stay with us again in the near future.

Forres, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights whilst attending a course at the sister International hotel just a few doors down.
Good location-10 min walk from train station.
Hotel is nice and modern. Friendly staff at check-in.
Was booked in a twin room which I was going to have to share with another colleague. The beds were pushed together - I was able to move them apart but only about a foot as not a huge room but we coped.
Beds a bit too soft for my liking but I slept well - nice bedding and pillows.
Big wall mounted tv and plenty of storage space.
Loved the bathrooms - nice walk in shower. Elemis shampoo & shower gel but no conditioner or body lotion - I did manage to get a conditioner from reception at the International. Like another poster I suggest popping these items into the room.
The duck is a novel idea - gives them a USP but I would have preferred the body lotion and conditioner to be provided.
Nice selection of teas, coffees & hot chocolate and biscuits.
View wasn't great out the back but didn't mind as it was quiet.
Used the pool and gym at the International hotel. Was very nice and the 3 times I used it I had both to myself.
Only ate at the International whilst attending the course so unable to comment on food served in City. Breakfast was £10.50 or you can order a grab and go bag from £4.50 with a selection of filled rolls and hot drink. I just had my breakfast bars as didn't feel like a big breakfast.
The cost was £80 a night which is not bad for weekday and good to be able to use the leisure facilities at other hotel.
I would return with my friends or family if I got a good deal.

Room Tip: If you want the view then opt for front of hotel. If you want quiet the back I would imagine is best...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and managed to make use of the leisure facilities at our sister hotel just down the street. As you quite rightly highlighted some of the rooms to the rear of the hotel sacrifice the view that the front facing rooms enjoy, but do offer an exceptionally quite stay - particularly considering our very central location.

If you would like to contact me by e-mail with your details (lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk) I can update your profile to ensure that when you stay with us the next time we ensure that body lotion and conditioner is placed in your room ready for your arrival.

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My partner has used this hotel for business trips and found it good, but we had a different experience last weekend. It seems that they are understaffed at the weekend and need to sort that out.
On Saturday we returned to our room in the afternoon to get ready to go out for the evening and the room hadn't been made up; the receptionist told us that "We have had lots of people checking in and out and new guests take priority" - that may be true, but perhaps not what a guest wants to hear!
They offered to send someone in to clean, replentish etc. but they would have to work around us so we asked for them to come back later once we had gone out.

We were offered a morning paper, but that did not appear on the first day and the receptionist told me it had probably been stolen, then changed the excuse to it not having been delivered. We got nothing the second morning as well and then ironically, we did get a paper on the last day - we hadn't ordered one - this may seem pedantic, but it illustrates that they communication in the hotel could be improved.

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not receive your newspapers during your stay. I have asked my night team to review their system to ensure that we have a backup plan should our newspaper order not arrive.

With regard to your room being serviced - we do generally clean departing guests rooms first so that early arrivals can get straight into their rooms, where possible. I'm sorry if the receptionist did not explain this properly. Should you stay with us again please just hang the 'please service my room' sign on your door handle as you go out for the day and we will know to prioritise the cleaning of your room.

I'm glad to hear that your partner has stayed with us before and enjoyed his visit. I do hope our failings do not stop you from returning to us again in the near future.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We knew it was going to be great the moment we arrived. I chose this hotel based on the reviews here. We were not disappointed. We arrived late and so we took a taxi from the airport. The journey lasted about 20-25 minutes and it was around 19 pounds.

The hotel is located in the old town and so close to all major attractions (as confirmed by the local taxi driver himself). We could walk to: the Castle (about 10 min), the National Galleries (plural because there are two: portrait and the other, about 15-20 min), the St Giles Cathedral (7 min), art galleries (various locations, all within walking distance), all sorts of pubs, restaurants and shops. Just across the street there are at least 3 pubs and two Italian restaurants. We were very pleased since we were looking forward to exploring the lovely city of Edinburgh by foot.

The hotel looks very nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was great. Very big and with a very comfortable double bed. A nice big modern TV with all sorts of channels, plenty of storage space. The bathroom was magnificent with a bathtub and a walk-in shower. All very clean and well taken care of. I (as a woman) was a bit disappointed that there was no vanity kit, hand cream and conditioner. These are small details, but when you're flying Ryanair with little luggage for the week-end these things do make a difference.

I know that a lot of fellow reviewers commented on the views. As a couple who stayed in a non-view room, I must say we enjoyed it a lot. Our room was on the top fourth floor and we had a backyard view. We did not regret it at all. It was very quiet and we could still see the city, streets, i.e. it was an open view.

Breakfast was gorgeous, continental and scottish breakfast a la carte.

All in all we were very pleased with everything about this hotel and would definitely return there when in Edinburgh next time.

Room Tip: Even if you don't go for a "view" room, don't worry, it's going to be nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest

I have just read your very kind review of the hotel and would like to thank you for taking the time to point out all the positive aspects of staying at the Apex City. Complimentary reviews are always more valuable to me than any advertising campaign as they are from real guests that have personally experienced the hotel. I will make sure your comments are passed to my staff.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend visit to Edinburgh (11-13th Jan 13)
Booked via central reservation No. This hotel is in the heart of the City and was reasonably priced.
I would recommend the hotel, a good 4 star.
Also, while in Edinburgh try the new Jamie Oliver restaurant, well worth a visit and good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed you stay and would recommend the hotel to your friends. I do hope you will find time to stay with us again in the near future.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Second time we have stayed here and as usual very clean, staff friendly, beds comfy. Made great use of the swimming pool....you do have to walk 50m or so down the road to the Apex International, but worth it when you get there, we had the pool to ourselves! We didn't have breakfasts on this stay, chose to go elsewhere this time, but you can order breakfasts if you haven't already booked them. The only little niggle I have is that there is never enough tea, coffee and milk in the rooms....I did ask at reception for some more and was told that it would be sent up......I'm still waiting!!!! I had to take some off the cleaners carts in the hallway. Apart from that everything as expected.

Room Tip: Rooms right at the end of the corridors are great if you want a quiet sleep, you only have 1 bedroom...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel. It was great to read that you returned for a second stay and enjoyed it once again.
I am so sorry that reception forgot to send the extra tea and milk to your room – I will ask them to be more careful in the future. If you have a moment to drop me an e-mail with your details I will add a note to your profile. This will ensure that the next time you stay with us we will automatically arrange for additional tea, milk and coffee to be in your room ready for your arrival. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Lindsay Sturrock

Been to Apex City Hotel? Share your experiences!