“An excellent stay at the Apex City!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% OFF - PAY IN ADVANCE
Ranked #44 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“An excellent stay at the Apex City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I were celebrating our 2 year anniversary and after our failed attempt of visiting Edinburgh last year, we decided to try once more. I booked the Apex City after reading great reviews and can say we were deffinately not disappointed. Check in was speedy and welcoming, with the staff member giving a detailed explanation of everything and our £10 voucher to spend, which we used for drinks in the hotel bar. The room was large and spacious with a stunning view of the castle and we were impressed by the huge walk in shower! We found the location of the hotel to be great, Princes street is only a ten minute walk and those hills really do get u fit! I had booked the continental breakfast for the 2 days we stayed here and have to say there really is everything on offer, we opted for toast and a cooked breakfast which was delicious. The staff at the hotel are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them, I discovered this even before my stay at the hotel when I had went online to enquire about a card being wrote to go along with the wine and the chocolates I had ordered as a suprise for the room. I didn't even speak to the hotel directly but was in a chat room conversation with an Apex employee called Ben, who arranged for this to be done straight away. All in all our trip to Edinburgh was fantastic and believe that the hotel exceeded our expectations from the very beginning. Not if, but when we return to Edinburgh, Apex City will most certainly be our first choice. Thank you for a memorable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest

What a pleasure it was to read your glowing review of the Apex City hotel. I am really pleased that you and your boyfriend had a great time and my staff looked after you well. It was also pleasing to read that you are thinking of returning again in the future. Should this be the case please make a point of letting us know that you liked the room you stayed in and we will do our best to make sure you are allocated it again. I will also make a point of passing your compliments to Ben in reservations.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Well where to start, got there at about 2.30pm for check in staff very friendly and helpful, got to our room and was not disappointed what so ever the bath room was very nice a modern with a walk in shower and a bath tub, the bed was huge very clean and comfortable also pillows were awesome, 42inch tv too and dvd player, the view from our hotel was nice to full view of Edinburgh castle, the room was cleaned every day we were there which was 2 :) the breakfast in the morning was very nice :) bit pricey on the drinks but where isn't in Edinburgh, also just ask the staff for anything and they will help as much as they can my gf had a bottle of wine and chocolates already in the room before we got there :) would defo go back 2 minutes from the train station

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very positive review of the hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found my staff friendly and helpful. I really do appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback and hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Lindsay sturrock
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

After an excellent stay at the Apex International 14 months ago, it was natural that when we returned to Edinburgh that we came back to Apex. The most daunting thing for us was that we were returning as parents on our first time away with our 4 month old. Trying something different, we opted for the Apex City and we really weren’t disappointed.

The rate that we got was excellent. It is worth noting that Apex will match any rate you can get through the likes of Expedia etc. I looked direct and found another rate cheaper on line. After one call to reservations and they matched the rate with absolutely no fuss. As an added bonus, they give you a £10 voucher to spend in the bar or restaurant – so its worth looking and then booking direct.

I consider the location of the hotel to be good. I appreciate that it can be a bit of a walk to the West End or to Princes Street– but Edinburgh is arguably the best city in the UK and you’ll never be on the doorstep of everything. Also, the walk is nice (look out for shortcuts, but the steps and hills can be a killer). In return for the investment in walking – you’re paid with having the castle view in the window and having Grassmarket on the doorstep (though we didn’t hear anything from outside).

The room was comfortable and due to the size of the room we had (to accommodate the cot etc.), we were located further back from the front of the hotel, but could still clearly see the castle from the window. The room had everything you’d expect, including Sprout, the limited edition Christmas duck. There was a DVD player, a large TV, reasonable hairdryer and a thoughtfully stocked tea-tray. The bathroom contains elemis toiletries, a decent (separate) shower and the ability to dim lights (good for baby bedtime baths). There was also a fan in the wardrobe, which I would imagine is welcome in the summer, given that the windows only open very slightly,

One thing that sets this (and the International) apart from other good hotels is the staff and they really do make an effort. The check in was genuine, warm and efficient – even leaving a birthday card in the room as I was celebrating a milestone. There was an issue with a fire alarm being set off mid-morning on one day – and we were delighted with the way this was handled when we reached the ground floor: As it was a false alarm and we had a baby asleep (yes, still), we were led into the restaurant, sat down and given a coffee and pastries whilst we waited for it to be rectified. Fixed after ten short minutes, the duty manager came to sit with us and after apologising (again), she struck up a genuine conversation about our break away and our son (who only woke up when the alarm was switched off). I’d challenge any other hotel to match that for genuine care.

Unusually for us, we dined in the restaurant for dinner on the first night. We opted for a set menu, which was naturally limited in choice (probably only an issue if you’re fussy). The food itself was really good – tasty and well presented. Again, in the restaurant, the staff were excellent. They took the time to make room for the pram and sat us in a darker, quieter corner as our son was asleep. Sometimes the service is a bit muddled, but this is because they’re falling over themselves to help you and make sure you’re content (even when the restaurant is fairly busy) – and you can’t complain about that. We were given a drinks voucher for booking our table at check in and still had the £10 voucher for booking direct, so with some extra drinks – the bill came in at a shade under £40 in total, which given the quality, attention and the fact that it was three courses on a Saturday night – it is excellent value.

If you’re a parent of a young child, you’ll be glad to know that Apex pretty much covered everything we needed. Unlike a lot of hotels, we arrived to find that the travel cot was already constructed (in a convenient spot) and lined with sheets (You’d be surprised how many don’t do this). After a call to the hotel before we arrived, we were given a steriliser for bottles as well as a bottle warmer. This is standard care for Apex and these two items really helped infinitely.

In summary, this is a good hotel in terms of hardware and excellent in terms of the people – well located in one of the best cities in Europe. When we checked out we weren’t asked if everything was ‘OK’ with our stay - we were asked if we ‘enjoyed’ it (I presume that ‘OK’ isn’t good enough). The answer is yes, absolutely, we did. Again, we left delighted and when we come back to Edinburgh, we’ll be back here.

Room Tip: They really try to accomodate requests.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Sam

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and complimentary review following your stay with us. I'm glad my staff made you feel so welcome and I will make a point of passing your praise on to them. Staying away from home with a baby is never easy and I am glad that we were able to assist with a bottle warmer and sterilser and you found the cot made the way you like it.

I really do appreciate your review and hope you will be able to stay with us again soon

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

An excellent hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the Scottish breakfast cooked to order.

An ideal location for the Old Town - even though nowhere's too far to walk. The Grassmarket is THE place to be!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I'm glad you found my staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your stay. Looking at your other reviews you appear to have managed to visit quite a lot of the attractions Edinburgh has to offer. As you quite correctly mentioned our location is great for sightseeing as most places are within easy walking distance.

As your title suggest - I hope you "will visit again" soon.

Regards

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Lovely rooms very comfortable great TV's great location. It was a little pricy at £88 per night without Breakfast but staff very helpful and friendly and we got Breakfast for a special offer of £10 extra.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found your room comfortable and enjoyed your breakfast. Hopefully you took full advantage of the varied selection on the cold buffet but saved enough space for some hot food as well?

Hope you will return again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to Edinburgh many times, but never stayed in the Grassmarket area or in an Apex hotel. The hotel is lovely, 10 mins walk from the station, up some steep hills if you have bags. The staff were very friendly and efficient, check in was swift. The room had all working amenities and complimentary bottled water and was quite clean. The bathroom was a bit worn and the carpet in the bedroom looked like it needs a really good hoover, or to just be replaced, this is the only reason it is not getting a full 5. As we booked through the hotel directly, we got a £10 voucher to spend on food or drink, not breakfast, which I thought was a little cheap! So our ten pounds got us a large glass of house red and a bottle of beer, with 5p to spare! Our room faced the staff car park at the back and was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, so I was very pleased. We didn't eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food, we did use the leisure facilities at the International, and it would have been lovely but was a bit over crowed, and the sauna didn't work, even though there was no out of order notices. There was no one around to ask if it had to be specially turned on.
Overall, a lovely hotel, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if you like your sleep.
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that you "would highly recommend" the Apex City Hotel and found your bedroom to be particularly quiet at night. Our ‘book direct’ offer of a £10.00 voucher to spend on food and drink unfortunately does not include breakfast. Many of our guests pre-book and pay for breakfast in advance at the reduced rate of £10.00 and excluding breakfast from the offer avoids any confusion. The voucher can however be used as full or part payment against room service, dinner or drinks in the bar. I hope you enjoyed using it?

As a regular visitor to Edinburgh I am glad you have discovered the Apex City and I hope you will return here soon.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel has a great location, in Edinburgh's Grassmarket. The amenities are also good. But it is the staff who lift it into another class; they are friendly, helpful and very good at what they do. We had a couple of minor dramas during our stay, but thanks to staff like Vinni, Robert and the two bar guys who share the same name (which escapes me) everything was sorted and we left having had a fantastic stay. The hospitality and helpfulness was above and beyond. Thanks guys, we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the castle!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Having just read your glowing review of the Apex City hotel I will make a point of personally thanking those members of staff you have highlighted - I know they will be pleased. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and note that you plan to return in the future.

Thank you again for your review.

Lindsay sturrock