“Worst IBIS so far” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile

Save Saved
You added Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile to your Saves list
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Hunter Square | Off Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1QW, Scotland   |
Ranked #88 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Dällikon
“Worst IBIS so far”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of IBIS hotels and I have always enjoyed my stay (see my reviews for Sion and Heidelberg), but this one was horrible. Disgusting. The rooms were filthy, the bed stank and there was more foreign hair in the shower, bed and rug than I care to remember, not all of it long and straight if you know what I mean.

We stayed over New Year 2012 and they ran out of towels due what they said was a delivery issue. This would have been ok, but that day we had piled up our used towels on the bathroom floor, which resulted in towels literally stained black (imagine how dirty that floor was). The thing that angered us the most was that they simply hung the towels up again with no note informing us, so I almost dried my face in the black greasy dirty stained towel before I realised the towel was filthy. Gross!

I still give them two stars though because the staff was excellent. They appeared to be understaffed (obvious cost savings), but they remained very helpful hard working and friendly. I felt very sorry for them and that is not the feeling I can imagine a hotel would like to instil in their guests.

We planned on a seven night stay but after four nights we moved to another hotel (Radisson Blue, which was excellent!!). We could not stand it anymore. We found out later that friends had received a 50 pound room cost reduction (they also left after four days) because they complained. I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the oil. We will definitely not be back.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerIbis, General Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and feedback. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. This is not typical of the service we offer at Ibis Edinburgh.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Newton Stewart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I spent three nights over the Christmas period staying in the Ibis in Hunter Square, just yards off The Royal Mile. The staff service and the room were excellent and all I have come to expect from Ibis hotels. I didn't dine in on this occasion, but did have breakfast each morning, which was as usual plentiful and pleasing. I also patronised the bar. I really couldn't have done better with my choice of hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
GeneralManagerIbis, General Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Gallowegian,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time here with us and do hope you will return in the future.
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Ibis is wonderfully located just off the Royal Mile in Hunter's Square. Perfectly situated for anyone wishing to visit all the attractions of Edinburgh. However you really do pay for the location. The rooms while clean and comfortable are rather small and do leave you feeling like you should have had more for your money.

The staff are welcoming and friendly however and the beds, as advertised, really are incredibly comfy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Specialfried,
Thank you for your kind comments , the team really appreciate when hearing these comments. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was the first of two Ibis hotels I stayed in during a UK holiday. There's a few issues with staff attitude that were consistent at both locations. More on that later though.

Located in Hunter Square, just off the Royal Mile and North Bridge this hotel is an excellent location. However, be aware...if you stay in a room on the front of the hotel you'll be directly overlooking Hunter Square. Even with being on the 5th floor, we may as well have been down at street level with an open window. It was THAT loud at times. A handful of extremely loud-mouthed obnoxious twenty-somethings would gather here nightly and carry on until well past 1 or 2 am. This was even on Sunday nights and weeknights...in sometimes sub zero temp!. So, its a regular hang out spot. Its important to note, there are several pubs and restaurants immediately nearby. These individuals creating all the noise were NOT patrons of these establishments. They appeared to just be local youth who enjoyed gathering here and being loud for the sake of it. Being that they carried on like this on such a regular basis DIRECTLY in front of the hotel you would think Ibis would address the issue. On that note, I can't say it made for a very restful stay.

One other glaring issue was the fact that there was some sort of venting or trap issue in the room's bathroom. Occasionally, after coming back to the room in the evenings, there would be the odor of sewer gas. Being in the building trades industry I recognized what the problem most likely was. Upon running water into either the sink or shower drains the odor would immediately dissipate. This only happened a few times, but it doesn't make for a pleasant stay and its not a problem I've ever experienced in any other hotel. The bathroom, especially the shower was not very clean. There was a fair amount of mold and mildew on the shower surfaces. A number of other reviewers have mentioned this as well.

The room was for the most part tidy and comfortable, but the above mentioned issues detracted from the stay. On previous visits to Scotland we've used a B&B and a Holiday Inn. Both provided better lodging experiences. On our next visit I would most likely look elsewhere and not use Ibis. Its a shame, because this is a prime location.

As I mentioned in the opening of this review, this was the first of two Ibis we stayed at in the UK. There were definitely some common (and irritating) factors at both locations. First, we arrived after the earliest check-in times at both locations yet in both cases neither had our rooms ready. Additionally, the staff's immediate attitude is that you somehow are checking in early, owe them more money, and there's total confusion over your reservation that takes several members of the staff to sort out...lots of typing in their computers, confused/concerned looks at the screen, and just an all around air of confusion over a simple check-in of a room that was booked well in advance with a securing credit card. It shouldn't be that much of an ordeal to get checked in.

Another really irritating "theme" that Ibis likes to push on its guests is some sort of what I can only describe as "towel conservation" movement. They provide your bathroom with 2 very small, thin, threadbare towels. They then post lots of little signs about preaching to you about how you should "conserve" by not requesting fresh towels daily. Um...NO. I'm PAYING good money to stay at your establishment Ibis. Being that you provide such poor towels to begin with, a not-so-clean bathroom with poor, if any ventilation at all, I will request my two clean (questionable) scratchy threadbare towels daily. If they put even half as much effort into providing less paltry service and cleaning as they did posting their little preachy "conservation" signs everywhere in the room, they might be a better hotel!

Again, this was the experience a not one, but two Ibis locations so apparently its how they operate. Not exactly professional nor welcoming behavior from people who are in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face out over Hunter Square if you want a quiet restful night's...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SLee73,
I am sorry on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay here at Ibis Edinburgh. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and therefore please feel free to contact me on 0131 240 7000 or alternatively email me on joanne.green@accor.com to discuss this further.
Joanne Green

Been to Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile? Share your experiences!