“Dunstane house perfect for a seasoned solo traveler” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

You added The Dunstane Hotel to your Saves list
The Dunstane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Hampton Terrace | Haymarket, Edinburgh EH12 5JQ, Scotland (Formerly Dunstane House Hotel) (West End)   |
Special Offer
Spring Breaks from £79 pp
Ranked #12 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville
“Dunstane house perfect for a seasoned solo traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I enjoyed a three day sightseeing trip to Edinburgh and this hotel was the icing on the cake. I stepped off a train from the lake district of England to a five minute walk to this hotel! I never needed public taxi's as it was a twenty minute walk to Princess street and area attractions. The best part was that after jam packed sightseeing all day I was relieved to return to a wonderful dinner at the hotel each night and off to a quiet night's rest. I was refreshed to go the next day after a lovely breakfast in the dining room. Since I was traveling alone, I didn't need the key provided fo me in case I wanted to return after the main doors were locked. The staff was very helpful even charging my iPad as I didn't have required equipment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Dunstane house. It was a special occasion being our 31st wedding anniversary.
We could not have been happier with the choice of accommodation. Just a short walk to the center of town for views of the Castle on the rock.
We had both Breakfast and dinner there also. A very hearty Scottish breakfast and top class evening meals.
The room was very spacious and comfortable. WIFI access was good and fast. The 4 poster bed was huge and very comfortable. but we did have to remove some blankets as it was quite warm.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and hope to if we can return there for another holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi Cliff,

Thank you for choosing Dunstane Hotels for such a happy occasion. It was a pleasure to share such a large occasion with both of you.
I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations with the Luxury Four Poster room. The bedrooms are all very spacious and luxurious, especially considering our location.
I will pass on your kind comments to the kitchen staff who have been working on the menu for several months.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Dunstane House is a lovely hotel just 5 minutes walk away from Edinburgh Haymarket Railway station and 20-30 minutes walk from Princes Street and Edinbrugh city centre. It is also in a prime location for Edinbrugh Zoo (20 mins walk down the road in the opposite direction) and the Water of Leith footpath, which runs alongside the river and we followed all the way to the royal botanical gardens one day. We were happy to walk into town but there is a bus stop literally outside the Hotel and buses into town are frequent throughout the day/evening. I would imagine that the staff on reception would also have been more than happy to order us a taxi at any time of day should this have been required.

The Hotel is beautifully decorated throughout with lots of exposed wood and paintings lining the staircases and there was always a lovely big bunch of lillies in a vase in the entrance hall to welcome you on your arrival/return. We had room 10 which was right at the top of the hotel with lovely views at one window over a pretty little church and the Pentland Hills regional park and then Arthur's seat and Edinburgh through the other.

The room was spotlessly clean on arrival and the bedding smelt wonderful! We had a classic double, which doesn't come with a bath but the shower was very powerful and lovely and hot and we appreciated the luxury toiletries (the fragance of the shower gel was particularly sensual....). Adequate tea and coffee making facilities, which were replenished every day and were abundant enough to have a coffee after breakfast before leaving for the day AND to fill up a thermos flask to take out.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was of a good standard, full continental breakfast available including cereal, fruit, cheese, yoghurts, pastries and three different types of fruit juice AND we could order a hot breakfast in addition. Good range of hot breakfast options, which were very flexible with a Scottish theme (as you would expect) and a good range of herbal/specialty teas available if you didn't fancy tea or coffee with your breakfast. We also had dinner in the hotel restaurant 'The Skerries' on our last night, which i will review separately but was well worth a visit.

Our only niggle is that the toiletries weren't replenished, fair enough if we clearly had some left but at one point we had no shampoo and this was not replaced, I'm sure we could have got some if we had asked but this was on the day before we left and we were of the opinion that we shouldn't have to.

Room Tip: If you want a bath you need a deluxe room, the ones at the top of the house have beds under the eave...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience in both the Hotel and the Restaurant. Our location is very central, but equally far enough away from the main busy streets to still feel relaxing and inviting. We are close to so many exciting attractions in Edinburgh to keep everyone in the family entertained. While most are in walking distance, we are fortunate enough to have a bus service right at our door too.
The entire hotel was recently refurbished with each room being individually designed by the owner. There is a unique mixture of contemporary style and traditional charm that can only be found at Dunstane Hotels.
Our Housekeeping team should replace all items daily, including the Molton Brown toiletries. I apologise that this was not replaced for your last morning, but please do contact us in future stays. We are always happy to replace items immediately.
Our Skerries restaurant does provide the best of Scottish produce. All of the ingredients are locally sourced and prepared freshly by the Chef.

I would like to thank you again for posting this review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Dunstane House is a great little hotel on a busy bus route into the city, my husband and I stayed in 2 rooms at the top of the hotel for 2 nights and had a great stay. The decoration of the whole place was beautiful and the little en suites had toilet, shower and sink in each with lovely proper sized towels!!! Breakfast was brilliant, we both enjoyed it, and they were fabulous at accommodating my Gluten and Dairy intolerances. Our only problems were that my bed was not comfortable, the mattress was not great, but my husband liked his, it was much firmer and my husbands room was next to, we think, the water heater and he found it kept him awake the first night. We would probably return.

CLARKESVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Two nights at Dunstane House and we knew the first night that we would return again on our next visit to Scotland. This is a very quaint and cozy hotel. The service is excellent, the room is clean, nicely decorated and even the bath products are top notch. I even went into Edinburgh to a shop to purchase the shower gel. The location is conveniently located to the city central yet far enough to get away from the city rush and noise. We were able to walk to anywhere we wanted to go in the city. We ate in the restaurant both nights and we were very pleased. The food is fantastic and our waitresses, Ursula and Zoey were lovely and professional. There is not one detail at this hotel that I can complain about. Thank you so much for a lovely last 2 nights in Scotland!

Room Tip: Excellent place to stay in the city without all of the city traffic and noise.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We, along with another couple, stayed at the Dunstane House for 3 nights. When we arrived, we were warmly welcomed by the lady at reception (sorry I can't remember names). We were surprised and delighted to find out that they had upgraded our room to a "deluxe", as the "classic" room that we had booked was not available. I don't think this should be expected but were we ever happy to get it. The room was quite large and exquisitely designed, and super clean. I would highly recommend the splurge to the deluxe room if you can swing it. Location was a short walk to the city and train station with a bus stop right outside the front door if you needed it. This is a boutique hotel in the truest sense of the word. As this was the last 3 nights of our trip in Scotland I can tell you that this is a bona fide 4* hotel according to North American standards. We had stayed at several so called 4*'s prior to Dunstane House which did not always live up to their rating. In my personal opinion, they have exceeded their rating in our case. Breakfast was elegant and tasty, and the gentleman that served us was dressed in a suit each morning. Very classy and super service. I really hate to gush as I often disregard the 'overly' excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, but I cannot say enough about this hotel and our experience. Fabulous staff, super helpful, and cheerful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for posting such an outstanding review of Dunstane Hotels!

All of the staff work hard year round to provide an excellent service. I know that every single person will greatly appreciate your kind words.
The deluxe rooms were part of the refurbishment that was finished this year. They have proven to be very popular with our repeat guests who enjoy the extra space. Each room was individually designed by the owner, who tried to keep the original charm of the hotel, whilst combining the ultra modern boutique style finish.

We thank you for posting this review and hope to welcome you back to Dunstane Hotels in the future.

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have just returned from Edinburgh having stayed in this great hotel.
The hotel is quiet, although on the main road ,and has a great restaurant.
The staff we all very friendly and professional, both in reception and the restaurant.
The airport shuttle bus stops right outside, very convenient.
A 15 min. walk to the city, or a short bus ride.
We will be back to stay in the new year.

Room Tip: Rooms 2 & 3 have four poster beds, very nice !!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here at Dunstane Hotels. We have a very experienced staff base in both properties that are always on hand to help with any enquiries. Dunstane Hotels is located within walking distance to the city centre, but slightly off the loud and beaten track - which is something that all of our guests enjoy!

We look forward to seeing you again in the new year. Remember to contact us directly to hear about all of our special promotions on offer.

Jamie Trousdale

Been to The Dunstane Hotel? Share your experiences!