“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

You added The Dunstane Hotel to your Saves list
The Dunstane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Hampton Terrace | Haymarket, Edinburgh EH12 5JQ, Scotland (Formerly Dunstane House Hotel) (West End)   |
Special Offer
Summer Saver £99pp
Ranked #12 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a super stay in this hotel. From the minute we went in we were made to feel very welcome. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were very clean with lovely molton brown toiletries in the bathroom. We had a large double delux room that was very spacious and beautifully furnished. The hotel has a modern theme throughout but still has the wonderful original features such as beautiful cornicing and fireplaces. The food was great. We also particularly liked the Orcadian theme with the lovely old pictures on the wall and produce. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: Spash out and go for a double delux room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hi there

Thank you for your lovely comments on your stay and I see you are booked in again with us very soon! That is excellent news. Hope you enjoy your next stay as much.

Best Wishes

Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked the Dunstane House Hotel for a night in Edinburgh on a driving tour of Scotland. The staff could not have been more helpful or pleasant. We received a complimentary upgrade to a spacious room with a four poster canopy bed. Loved the Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did have whiskies at the bar, and the barman was quite knowledgeable! The hotel is located close to the city center with a bus stop right outside the door. There is also free parking, which was a huge plus for us. We will definitely book here on our next trip to Scotland!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi there

Thanks so much for leaving your comments here for other readers. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I really hope you think of us again on your next trip to Scotland! Perhaps you can sample the restaurant next time. Just get in touch with us directly for our latest deals and special offers.

Thanks again

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights whilst my husband was on business. I won't go into huge detail but the location was good, about a 15 min. walk to Princes St. The service was excellent, Our room was extremely comfortable (room 20) downstairs. Very very clean and the room was warm, freshly decorated with a good size bathroom. We ate both nights in the hotel and enjoyed our meals very much. If I had any complaint it would be that the bar area wasn't big enough to linger in after the meal. Great breakfast. We would stay again if in Edinburgh and we are both very difficult to please and rarely stay in the same place twice. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your lovely comments about the hotel, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Apologies you didnt find anywhere to sit after dinner in the bar. We recently had a refurbishment and converted a couple of our front rooms into deluxe rooms (one of which you stayed in!) as they just sat empty for 99% of the year.

We thought this was a much better way to get use out of the building so people can see its lovely features.

Hope this explains matters for you

Thanks again and hope to see you soon

Samantha Wright
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely property. First class, great breakfast, extremely comfortable quarters. The room was very cold and we could not get it warmed up, but other than that, everything was great. The location was probably a 15 minute walk to the "action", which was just fine with us as it gave us some good exercise every day and we enjoyed the walk. Free parking was a bonus!

Room Tip: We chose the upgraded King room and did not regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Downham Market, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I chose this hotel due to the reviews on Tripadvisor and I was not disappointed. We were a group of 6 adults and we stayed three nights. The rooms were wonderful - although not sure about the mirror above the bed in our room! The staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Booking taxis, recommending an excellent Indian restaurant, telling us the best places to visit. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was fantastic. Lovely local food. The only improvements would be for a larger bar area for guests to sit in during the evening and in the morning the restaurant was a little cold. But neither of these things would put me off booking again. Such a great location, airport bus stops right outside the hotel as do all the buses into the city centre - just remember to have the exact money as the drivers do not give change.

Room Tip: We had the three large delux rooms. Booked direct with the hotel for a much better deal. Our room wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope your friends didnt get the 'best' room this time by accident like they always do! I hope all your rooms were to the same standard for you!

I have turned the heating up in the restuarnt for you for next time!

Thanks

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Had a great night at this lovely hotel, great location for Edinburgh city centre. The room was lovely, beautifully decorated and spotless. There is free off street parking - a bonus for an edinburgh hotel. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked this hotel based on its rating on Trip Advisor because I am sick of getting to places that are either badly located or provide me with the worst night's sleep - especially when you consider the prices you pay for some hotels.

The Dunstane City Hotel ticked a lot of boxes for me:

Service: This was wonderful. I was greeted by a very friendly woman at check in, was assisted by an equally friendly woman when booking a tour and had a pleasant experience overall with all staff. I never had any problems and any question I had was answered. Even when I was ill-prepared regarding the booked tour and called the hotel in a panic to find out where the bus left from, the woman called the company, made sure that she called me back to advise where they were and also ensured that I was on the bus. I cannot fault the service at all.

Location: It was about a 15 minute walk into the city centre where you could gain access to the castle, rows and rows of shops and the hustle and bustle of the Royal Mile and George IV Bridge Rd, along which sits the famous Elephant House cafe and Hotel Missoni. Directly outside the hotel is a bus stop that links you wherever you like in the city and the Airport Express goes from the same stop. Haymarket Rail Station is also only about a 5-7 minute walk up the road.

Sleep Quality: this was just superb. I have trouble sleeping and have found some hotel beds ridiculously uncomfortable. When I got in to this bed, I had trouble staying awake, even falling asleep (and staying asleep!) at the relatively early hour of 10:45pm. I was so impressed with the comfort of the bed. There were also extra blankets and pillows if required.

Cleanliness/Comfort: the rooms were well presented and well cleaned. The bathroom was impeccable and the room was very comfortable. Of note to those who this would concern is that there is no in-room safe - valuables must be handed in at reception or taken with you.

Value: overall I would say this is good value for what you get. There is free WiFi and limited parking available on site (I did not have a car but I did take note of this). Breakfast was included in my room rate and was a good selection of continental and hot breakfast. For those of you who wish to take a taxi to or from the airport, in mild traffic this only cost me £15.

Overall: I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hello

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am delighted that the staff made you feel so welcome and that you enjoyed your experience in the hotel and in Edinburgh itself. I do hope to welcome you back with us some time in the future.

Best Wishes

Samantha

Been to The Dunstane Hotel? Share your experiences!