“My favourite Edinburgh hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunstane House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dunstane House Hotel to your Saves list
Dunstane House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 West Coates | Haymarket, Edinburgh EH12 5JQ, Scotland (West End)   |
Special Rate
Midweek Deal!
Ranked #13 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Royal Tunbridge Wells
“My favourite Edinburgh hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

Fed up of standard egg-box hotels?

The Dunstane House Hotel is a charming alternative to chain hotels. This is my favourite Edinburgh hotel. not because it has the best rooms or the best facilities, but because I have always found that the staff are friendly and accommodating (I have counted, I have stayed there six times).

Good points:

On the main express bus route from the airport, the bus stop is right outside the hotel (Edinburgh bus services are really good).
Haymarket railway station is a short walk or bus ride away. Access to the city centre is similarly good.
A good bar, with many malts!
Good bathrooms, excellent toiletries.
Pleasant breakfast, cooked to order.
Most rooms very good. This is an old building, the rooms vary,

Less good points:

Well, the varied rooms! The singles and small doubles can be very small. There seems to be too much furniture in them.

Try this hotel, it is different and nice.

Stayed February 2006

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

I booked this hotel on-line on the 20th September 2007 for the dates of 29th Sept till 1st Oct.
Myself and a work colleague had arranged to stay there at the same time and spend a social week-end together along with our partners.
I was phoned by the hotel on the 27th Sept , 2 days before my break to be told they had a wedding that week-end and had double booked and were unable to honour my booking. I was offered a 3 star hotel , The Thistle Court which was apparently across the road. It only supplied a continental breakfast but and i quote " i could cross the road to the Dunstane for a cooked breakfast if i so desired". This is the main road into Edinburgh !!
To cut a long story short i cancelled the booking and was fortunate at such short notice ( at greater expense i might add) to get accomodation elsewhere but of course was unable to stay with my friend and his partner , very inconvenient !!
The nub is , this hotel had the audacity to charge me a cancellation fee of £118:00 after assuring me i would not be as it was their cock-up. Also when i phoned to rectify this the person i spoke to couldn't care less as " she was on holiday then". I of course had the charge credited back to me eventually but at my inconvenience.
I have never set foot over the place and my advice is to not touch it with a barge pole if this is an example of their attention to detail !!
And by the way , my friend who did stay there told me there was no wedding either, so they lied about that also !!

Stayed September 2007
Dunstane, Manager at Dunstane House Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2007
I am grateful to the reviewer for their review about their stay at Dunstane House. Please except my apologies again for any inconvenience caused. There was a delay in your refund of deposit but I had spoken and I thought you excepted my apology by telephone. And we did have a wedding in the hotel on Saturday for 25 people.
Shetland isles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

I travel to Edinburgh several times a year, stayed in dozens of hotels, this is the best it gets. Unless the hotel is fully booked I would never now consider staying anywhere else.
Food fantastic...try the Grimbister cheese.. Its always clean freindly...the staff stay. The proprietors are attentive and the staff are well trained.
Orkney beef is the best it gets and the chef knows hust how to cook it. And the seafood, you willl have to bepay twice the price for anything coming close somewhere else.
It does cost me £20 more a night than I am able to reclaim...but in Edinburgh its still excellent value.
To those who have submitted the odd negative review...this is not a chain hotel but it is a business with commercial rates and costs in an expensive city- the owners must make a profit, and if you are not good on stairs try the sister hotel accross the road, not so nice but good value.

My huge worry know is that if I press submit then you will all want to stay and the next time I need to go on a trip it will be full, I will take the risk.

• Liked — Freindlyness and food
  • Disliked — rooms at top of house
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rotherham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

We booked to stay at Dunstane hotel in Edinburgh for our 1st wedding anniversay.It was only after I had booked that I read some of the more negative reviews, in particular regarding room 15. We had booked a standard double and on contacting the hotel was advised we had been allocated room 15! I was quite worried, although the staff member had tried to reassure me that the room, although it was small, was very nice. On arriving at the hotel, after a very long drive - we were greeted with a full car park - but the gentleman on reception came out and showed us how we could position the car so as not to block anyone else in and offered to keep our keys in case it needed to be moved. This friendly and helpful behaviour lasted throughout our stay and extended to all staff members, who were all as accomodating. The hotel is small but grand with a good standard of traditional decoration and interior. On entering our room, although it was fairly small, we were more than pleased with its appearance and standard. It was small but nice small!. The bathroom was snug - especially the shower cubicle, but clean and well appointed. The room has lots of character and if you are there on a romantic break, all the better. The hotel is one of the nicest we have stayed in and all I would say, is that if space matters, don't book a standard double - pay the extra for a luxury double or four poster. We do have fairly high standards regarding hotels and Dunstane honestly did not disappoint. Restaurant was a little pricey - but very nice if you like a la carte. We loved the bar and the food served in there - good portions! The hotel is in a good location, which is fairly quiet and only a small bus ride or short walk into the city centre. The buses stop right outside and are very regular. All in all a lovely hotel, with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Interior and staff
  • Disliked — size of room - but was not a major problem
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

It is difficult to classify this review, as a lot depends on the room you stay in.

In January 2007 I phoned and booked 2 standard double rooms for June for 2 nights. I was told there were no existing bookings for double rooms at that time, and we would be allocated the two nicest rooms. We paid the full published rate of £118 per room per night.

On check in we were told our rooms were on different floors. Although far from disabled, one of our party has an illness which causes him some difficulty with stairs, and as there is no lift, my husband and I said we would take the higher floor room. We got room 8, and it was excellent. Our friends were shown to room 15.

Two hours later, after we had all unpacked and rested, we went down to meet them, and were extremely upset at the standard of room 15. It is very cramped, there is no room to squeeze past the bottom of the bed, the decor is very dull, and no way does it compare to room 8, yet we were charged the same price for both. I wanted to complain, but my friend specifically asked me not to, as it would make things difficult for her husband if they had to move rooms.

After our return I E Mailed Dunstane asking why there was such a disparity between the rooms, yet the price was the same; that as it was known that ours was a joint booking (both rooms were booked in my name), why were we given such different standards of rooms; was 15 really one of the best double rooms as I could not think there were any worse; and how they could justify charging £118 per night for such a dreadful room?

I clearly explained that we would have complained at the time had it not been for my friends predicament. In response, I got an E Mail saying our rooms were so different due to a free upgrade to room 8 to accommodate a one night booking, and that room 8 is a large double. (It was lovely, but not overly large, and still only a shower – no bath.) I was told this should have been explained on check in. It wasn’t!

The E Mail continued “I am so very sorry that you were disappointed with your friend’s room; if this matter had been explained to the Manager of the hotel at the time then we would have tried our best to rearrange something for your friends. It may have involved changing rooms, but I think that may have been better than you and your friends not enjoying your time here as well as you should. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this matter further.”

I took exception to being told by a receptionist what she thought we should have done, when I had explained clearly that moving rooms was not an option for our friends after they had unpacked. So I E Mailed back to question the response, asking why we should have had to explain our disappointment to a manager when 15 was not a good room in the first place, and when I booked months previously, at the full rate, I was promised the best double rooms. I have had no reply, despite being told not to hesitate to contact them further.

Since our return I have looked on Trip Advisor, and note there are some very mixed reviews, including one complaining about room 15! I also notice that whilst Dunstane regularly put forward a management response, on this occasion they did not.

In other respects the hotel is fine. Nice bar, nice restaurant, food very acceptable, but we would caution that the rooms are very variable, and customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I certainly would not recommend paying nearly £120 a night to stay in a standard double room.

• Liked — The public rooms
  • Disliked — The room standard
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dunstane, Owner at Dunstane House Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2007
This review has been looked at and I have spoken to the lady involved and I cannot express my sincere apologies to her & her party enough and she has been very kind to accept my apologies. It is very difficult to get the same rooms in an old Victorian Building as all rooms varie in size and have there own character.
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

Cancelled booking due to unforseen circumstances beyond our control.

Hotel charged deposit (fair enough) and then went ahead and charged the entire booking fee, some £500. No alternative date offered, i begged and pleaded with the proprieter to no avail.

Contacted my bank who contacted the hotel as she had actually broken the law by not offering me another date and taking the ful payment.

This was a christmas break and if the level of service and animosity i recieved from Dunstane House was indicative of how they would treat you when there I am glad i did not make my booking - Shocking.

Do not book this Hotel if you value your wallet.

Stayed December 2006
Dunstane, Manager at Dunstane House Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2007
I am very dissapointed to see the review you uploaded on Trip Advisor. You cancelled your accommodation package with us on the day as your easy jet flight was cancelled and the hotel staff went out of there way to help to try and arrange other means of transport for you so as you could spend your Christmas in Edinburgh. We did manage to find a flight later on for you or the next day but you had already decided you didn't want to come to Edinburgh now. The package included all meals and for this short notice we would highly unlikely resell this package and we never! As you can see from other reviews we always get rated very highly for our customer service.
augusta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

A quaint and quiet place to stay. Rooms were well appointed but I was very disappointed in the size of the room. A double (we stayed in room15) was very small. Hard for two of us to move around. The shower was tiny and cramped. The bar is very comfortable and not noisy like we had read. The library was also a nice place to do some internet work. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. The bus does stop right out the front door so was easy to travel to town and back for 1 pound each way. Nice tables outside to sit at when the weather permits. Rooms prices did seem high but didn't check on prices closer into town. Friends stayed in a deluxe double which was quite large. Spend the extra money for the bigger room.

• Liked — bus out the front door
  • Disliked — room VERY small
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dunstane House Hotel? Share your experiences!