“Nice room and cool amenities.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great deal:Save up to 30
Ranked #86 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Nice room and cool amenities.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel, ,staff and service were very good. They also had complementary Wifi which I really appreciated. The only downside was one of the sofa chairs in the room looked quite old and worn out. They should rather put in a good looking wooden chair than to put in a worn out looking sofa.
The room was well cleaned and fully equipped with iron, ironing board, hair drier and a big screen Tele. Among other amenities they had a small fridge with mineral water , complementary tea, coffee, hot choclate and light snack.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex European Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sam,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay at the Apex European Hotel.
I was delighted to hear that you found the hotel staff and their services to be very good and that you enjoyed the use of our complimentary wifi. I was also pleased to see that you were happy with the provision of amenities during your stay as this is something we strive to achieve.
I do hope we will see you again very soon.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times over the past year or so, and I think it's great. OK, it's not quite the Apex International, but it's always been clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and I think the cooked breakfasts are great. My biggest concern when staying here was its proximity to the main road, but even with rooms facing the main road, I've never had any problems with noise. Rooms are a decent size, clean, and for the price of a "budget" hotel, I think that's brilliant.

Room Tip: I've never had a problem with any room - even those I've had overlooking the main road have...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike,
As regular visitor to the Apex European Hotel, I was delighted to see that you find the staff to be helpful and friendly and that the cleanliness of the rooms are of a high standard.
I was also happy to hear that although your room was located on the front of the hotel you found that the road noise did not affect your stay.
I hope you will continue to use the Apex European in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Best Wishes,
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and the first thing I must say is that the reception staff are excellent. Very friendly and helpful regardless of time of day and check in was very efficient.

The room itself was nice but smaller than I had expected. When we arrived on a very cold day, the heating was turned off so initially the room was not at all cosy but did heat up later. The bathroom is nice (great shower) and lovely toiletries. The bed was we think two separate beds as my side was slightly higher than hubbies :)

We had a meal in the hotel and again, service was excellent but my meal was sadly a little disappointing.

The location is very good - just a 2 minute walk to Haymarket Station - and even with the tram works, the bus stop outside the hotel is still in use.

My main comments would be to the senior management in Apex. This hotel is very dated. The grey walls and carpet are dull and makes the place look very dark and unwelcoming. Paintwork is chipped and there are stains all over the corridor carpets. In our room, the 'tea tray' was an old used metal tin (which still had crumbs in it presumably from previous customers) whilst I realise this is a 3 star hotel - and therefore wouldn't expect 5 stars - this is still an Apex. We have stayed in other Apex hotels and personally I was a little disappointed if I am honest.

Again though, cannot fault the staff but the hotel itself is letting them down - they deserve better:)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at the Apex European Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found the service throughout the hotel to be excellent, it’s always a pleasure to hear of our staff providing excelling service.

I was very sorry to read that your meal was a little disappointing and am pleased to inform you that we are currently updating both our restaurant and bar menus, hopefully, for your next visit, you will notice some improvements to our menus.

Following your feedback, we have started an intensive repainting schedule in a bid to improve the look of the hotel. We have also carried out re training with our housekeeping team to ensure immediate improvements are made within the rooms and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope this will not deter you from a stay with Apex Hotels again, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Wishes,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through the internet to celebrate our first wedding anniversary over Easter weekend. The website stated that there was parking, however for a 66 bedroom hotel there are only 10 parking spaces (one of which is marked as disabled). We had travelled almost 300 miles and were unable to park our car on site. We managed to find some on street parking - £2 for two hours (max stay 8 hrs). We were lucky enough to grab a space the following day and didn't move our car until we left three days later - drivers beware! The hotel itself was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The en suite only had a shower. We found the room extremely warm at night time, in fact it was too hot to sleep!! This could have had something to do with there being two double glazed windows - great to block out the street noise. The hotel is in walking distance from the city centre and the zoo. It is on a main bus route (exact change only £1.50 per journey). There are plenty of restaurants nearby. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely be visiting Edinburgh again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel following your recent visit, this is extremely helpful as we try to develop and improve the service and facilities we offer.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay and you also found the cleanliness of the bedroom and hotel overall to be of a high standard.

Due to our central location, we can only offer limited free car parking, I hope you will accept my sincere apologies if this was of an inconvenience during your stay and hope that it will not deter you from staying with us again.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hi I recently used this hotel for a group of young people visiting Edinburgh for a conference. It is ideally situated for those arriving by train / air and was so handy for the city centre. The rooms and breakfast were all of a high standard and excellent value for a charity on a limited budget. The staff were friendly and very helpful too. We would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Apex European Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found the breakfast experience and the accommodation to be excellent value for money. It’s always a pleasure to read feedback regarding our staff and will certainly share this with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex European Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Styria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I do not think that I have ever stayed in a place with worse insulation that the APEX European Hotel. First night I got back to the hotel and the room was steaming hot. So I turned off the heating and went to bed. I woke up 3 hours later and the room was freezing. No, I did not leave any windows open - no need. The wind blows through them as if they weren't even there. Especially in the bathroom. No matter how long you leave the hot water running, there will be no steam, it goes right out through the closed window.

Having said that, I actually liked the place. The room was big enough, even enough storage space. And that is rare in hotels in Britain. The bed was nice and soft and everything was (quite) clean. Great breakfast and good service at the restaurant. Only at the front desk you will need some patience if you decide to check/out at the same time as others. There is only one person attending the front desk so you might have to wait for a long time in a very small lobby with no seating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay at the hotel.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your breakfast experience, found your bed was comfortable and on the whole, liked the hotel.
I do hope you will accept my apologies for the poor insulation in your room, in order to make improvements, I would be most grateful if you could email me directly at vicky.rigby@apexhotels.co.uk with details of your room.
I hope this will not deterred you from staying with Apex Hotels again, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Just had a very pleasant 2 night break, good size twin room, very comfey beds. Within walking distance of Princes street etc
Airport 100 city bus stops right near so easy journey from and to the airport.
Our room was at the front of the hotel, slept well no problem with road noise might be because the Edinburgh tram line that is being built throughout the city has not reached there yet.
Would recommend.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex European Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Liz,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel and providing feedback for others visiting the city.
Being just on the outskirts of Edinburgh I was pleased to see that road noise was minimal throughout your stay and hope that you will visit again very soon.
Kind Regards
Vicky

Been to Apex European Hotel? Share your experiences!