“Great hotel, central enough but just out of the way so nice & quiet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

You added Macdonald Holyrood Hotel to your Saves list
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AU, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #71 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Leicester, UK
“Great hotel, central enough but just out of the way so nice & quiet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect for tourists as it's city centre just off of the Royal Mile but far enough back that its lovely & quiet & you get a great view of Holyrood Park/Arthurs seat if you walk just down the road 10m.

Firstly check in was easy & the receptionists were friendly & helpful on all occasions. The room was great, I was allocated a room on the executive 6th floor. With key access only to that floor.

The room was well furnished with a large bed, 2 desks, a couple of easy chairs. The bathroom had everything you'd expect including toiletries. The shower temperature was rather temperamental in the morning (my colleagues also had the same issue in their rooms) & a highlight is always the anti fog patch on the mirror.

The restaurant food is AMAZING & the steaks perfect. I'd usually not choose to eat in a hotel but this is worth staying for. The service on this occasion was rather slow.
Breakfast was also good.

Ill definitely stay here again & recommend this to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Nicnodle,

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Holyrood following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive dining experience, our Head Chef and his team take great pride in creating and serving the highest quality I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel and that you will recommend us to others.

Please come back and visit us soon and experience our new Rocca Bar and that will be opening late October.

Pamela McAllister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay, hotel lovely, clean, free upgrade on arrival which was fab, staff very friendly and helpful, especially the two (sorry) older guys on the concierge desk! Decided to chance our luck and take our car as near to the hotel as was could however wasn't a great idea, there is NO off street parking to be had anywhere, parking meters until 6.30pm on a Saturday with a 4 hour maximum stay so in hindsight wish we had done the the park and ride, hotel is a 5minute walk from the Royal Mile so park and ride would be perfect, ended up paying £20 for valet parking which is a bit steep, however that and soft pillows are the only faults I could find with the hotel, lovely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Les4756,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, I am glad our hotel met with your expectations.

The team here strive to deliver excellent customer service so Frank & Bill will be happy that you mentioned them.

We look forward to you visiting us very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is located in Old Edinburgh with easy access to tourist activities and the train station. The room was quite large, clean, quiet and the bed extremely comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and greeted us each time we entered and exited the hotel. We were even allowed to check in early!

A stop for the Hop On and Hop Off bus is located just a few feet from the front door. Access to the Royal Mile is a quick walk thru a close (alleyway) around the corner of the hotel. Fabulous sandwich shop down the street.

Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WiseWylie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. The team will be pleased that you enjoyed your stay and location.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes
Silecroft, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have stayed here before and were really looking forward to the couple of days spent whilst my son collected his Fellowship at the Royal College of Surgeons.The reception were very welcoming and our room was spacious and clean.
We booked a table for 7pm . The first course was delicious. For the main course I ordered smoked haddock.It was curled on a bed of boiled potatoes.The top was delicious but the fish underneath was slimy and uncooked. I sent it back but the chef said it was cooked. I should have asked him had he tasted it because it was awful. I was made to feel that I was making a fuss over nothing. That is the first time I have ever sent a meal back and it will be the last as I was made to feel small.
We have another day and evening to stay but this incident has spoilt the whole occasion for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear leftinner,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent visit at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was so disappointed to note that you did not enjoy your stay due to the under cooked haddock. I did investigate this with the Sous Chef that was on duty that night and he does assure me that it was cooked in the correct manor and quality checked. The Assistant Manager joins me in apologising profusely for this, she was simply trying to ascertain what the issue was and have it replaced as quickly as possible.

We do hope you allow us to welcome you back and I would be happy to look after your reservations personally. Please contact me directly for this.

Thank you once again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spent a weekend here in September, 2013 as we wanted to explore Edinburgh. Great location, staff very friendly and room was nice. Only was breakfast which wasn't that great. Lots of good bars and restaurants nearby for the evening time. Would go back again if I was visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Gill C,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit in September. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed your room and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

stayed here for weekend with family, checked in on friday checked out sunday
we had 2 rooms on 2 different floors, when we checked in after 3 our room wasn't ready so we went to our daughters room and were told someone would bring our key up, daughters room to sleep 4 had double bed and fold up bed and pull out sofa bed in loung area which had its own television, only 2 sets of towels though and we asked for another set which didn't arrive until the saturday, they had mints put on pillows of double bed on friday night, our room had twin beds, no mints left on any nights, be aware one set of towels in the bathroom, but for some reason the other set is left in the wardrobe.
hotel is just round the corner from the golden mile and there is a tesco metro just up the road
breakfast was average, on the saturday morning the warm stuff was in a corner, not set up very well and on sunday it was brought to you.
the hotel staff were friendly, the place was clean and comfy, toiletries in the bathroom, i would recommend, but stay just bed and have breakfast out

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear tracey d,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was disappointed to learn of your inconsistencies from our Housekeeping team. I will certainly share your comments with the Head Housekeeper to review some of our procedures.

We take great pride across the group in offering our award winning breakfast that is cooked fresh to order, unless you are traveling with a touring party then a buffet option is available. I have discussed your comments with our Restaurant Team so that they may ensure that our leisure guests are not located in the area we reserve for group buffet breakfast. I am sorry that this may have been the case on your first morning.

We do very much appreciate feedback in order for us to monitor our operation and ensure our usual high standards are delivered. Unfortunately your experience is not at all reflective of this.

Thank you once again for your time and I hope that my assurances will afford us to welcome you all back.

Kind Regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend at the end of September. First impressions was good, however rooms and dining room were looking a little tired, and in need of a freshen up.
Staff at reception very helpful and polite, excellent location for the royal mile etc.
Bad points, as we have a young family, we often have room service, and was very disappointed by the service or lack of service. 4 out of the six times we ordered, we had to order downstairs as nobody would answer the phone. kids meals had no salad, no sauces, very plain looking. 1 room service took over an hour to arrive. On one occasions with the adult meals no salt arrived, phoned down twice for the salt, arrived 20min later, by this time food was cold so sent the food back. Very disappointed, just because you order room service, does not mean that you get treated like a 2nd class citizen.
Be wary of the parking charges, £20 for each over night stay, a little pricy considering you are staying there!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear MDS186487,

Thanks for submitting a review of the Macdonald Holyrood following your stay.

May I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the room service shortfalls you experienced. Your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and food quality that we pride ourselves in delivering. I am sorry that you felt like a second class citizen due to this, however I can assure you that this is not the case. I have shared your feedback with the Restaurant Team and our Head Chef to ensure to we are not compromising on this.

Our valet parking charges are in line with our competitor hotels in the city, as well as considering the local NCP overnight prices. To which we feel this to be very reasonable.

I do hope that my reassurance will afford us to welcome you back very soon. If I can assist you with this then please feel free to contact myself directly at opsmgr.holyrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Pamela McAllister

Been to Macdonald Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!